Author Topic: Sugardude's Diet Puzzle  (Read 54198 times)

Offline SUGARDUDE

Re: Sugardude's Diet Puzzle
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »
Jaye,

I'm glad you mentioned smoking because like yoy, the only way I could beat it was to go cold turkey. Amazingly it only took about three days before the cravings were gone. What I did was to pick a three day period where I would have the least stress in my life. It totally worked. There were a couple of subsequent breakdowns when I had arguments with my wife, but when I smoled it was disgusting and aversive. No I never want to smoke under any circumstances.

Of course it helps that I don't drink alcohol anymore. I don't see how it is possible to quit smoking if you are active drinker. If you are cocaine user.....don't even bother trying. Seriously.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:18 AM »
Okay. Today is the final day of "bulking up" before I start to try to lose weight. i haven't really gained that much weight and somehow this had been therapeutic since I more in touch with the environmental cues that trigger me to eat even though I'm not not hungry.

Here's on of the worst ones: I enjoy grazing while I sit at the computer. I've done this at work quite a bit and it's usually what I'm doing when I have my worst binges.

Rule #1 starting tomorrow: No eating at the computer.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 05:52:27 AM »
Today it begins. My starting weight is 216. I'll weigh in for the contest later with my clothes on with food in my belly).

The plan is to eat reasonably while avoiding snacking due to various environmental cues. 2 24 hour fasts a week and exercise including at 3-5 days  a week of resistance training and cardio.

The beginning is always so easy.

Offline HungryGuy

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 12:34:46 PM »
Good luck, Sugardude.  I know you can do it!

Offline Jbird

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
Sugardude, I wish you success! It seems once you set your mind to something, you do it! Are you in a local version of the Biggest Loser TV show, or is this something you're doing at work? Interesting that you were able to quit smoking relatively easily, as well as cocaine, and I assume drinking was relatively easy for you to quit too? I wonder if thinking of sugar as an addictive substance and quitting it, would also be easy for you. Can you just put it in the category of cocaine, alcohol, cigarettes? I'm thinking about myself here, too, and suspect there is something similar in our mentality. You can't quit food the same way you can quit those other things, as you noted earlier, but one can quit a type of food. I've been thinking about "quitting" sugar and flour as if they were substances rather than foods. This would be different than my on again-off again approach to low carb diets. Many years ago my Dad lost weight just by eliminating sugar- and flour-based foods. Recently my Mom said that one of their employees did the same thing, and she's also succeeded with that in the past, so I was contemplating approaching it that way, rather than restricting carbs per se. It seems like not such a big deal to simply say, "no sugar, no flour." I really like fruits and vegetables and don't like restricting those on low carb, but I wouldn't have to. So psychologically, that might work better for me. I've been gradually losing weight and am down to 126 from 134 at the beginning of the year. So what I'm doing is working, but I rely more on exercise than the fact that I'm eating right all the time. I'm inconsistent. Anyway, best of luck with the contest! Jaye

Offline jared33

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 06:08:09 AM »
Best of luck with your "contest", Sugardude. I think you have a good approach. The intermittent fasting helped to decondition me.  And the resistance training and cardio should help.

As you say, the beginning is easy, but at some point you can expect to encounter temptation and the return of cravings. For myself, I found it was important to have a plan as to how I would handle that, so I would go for a walk or hit the gym and usually the cravings would dissipate.  And I would reward myself for progress with things I like other than food.  I really don't get significant cravings any more, or if I do, I'm satisfied with much less food.

We'll be following your progress!

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »
Thanks jared33. I've gotton off to a poor start but have lost a few pounds nonetheless just because I'm no longer trying to gain weight.

I had a couple of very nice resistance workouts early in the week which have left me nice and sore.

I didn't make it very far into the first 24 hour fast. I'll spare you the sordid details but lets just say I'm not quite prepared to fast for that long of a period......yet.

I'm starting the power of 10 workout next week and I'll be going back to the deconditioning diet since I had some very good success in the brief time I tried it before. This time I'm going to start off slow. Just  fasting for 2 meals a week and move up from there.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »
So far so good. I skipped lunch yesterday and I'm planning to skip breakfast on Thursday.

I wrote down a set of eating rules that cover forbidden foods (basically refined sugar products) and situations. I  also wrote out a strategy to deal with sugar cravings.

Offline jared33

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
It's good to see you have a plan and that you have come up with some rules that are workable for you, Sugardude.  I think having a plan or "rules" is important because it gives you a way to stay in control.  It might seem like a contradiction but these "rules" actually end up giving you more freedom, because you gain freedom from cravings. Plus, I think it makes a difference that YOU are the rulemaker, rather than someone else, because that keeps you in charge.

I'm also wondering if you still think the cardio and weights are part of this plan, or if you are postponing that part. For me, the resistance exercises helped, but I know that some people prefer to make only one big change at a time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:16:57 PM by jared33 »

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 07:52:20 PM »
I started doing the power of 10 today. So that will be 1-2 resistance training workouts a week. I'm also going to do cardio a couple times a week in addition to playing hockey.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »
Things are going smoothly. I'm down 7 lbs since April 13th but most of that (5 lbs) was lost since Monday when I actually started the new regimen.

I skipped two meals this week and plan to skip two more next week. I will gradually increase after that.

Having rules written down seem to have had a positive effect psychologically. Once I even think about slipping I just think of the rules and it's much easier to move on.

I haven't had that many opportunies to approach and smell prohibited foods but I will be embracing this aspect of the deconditioning diet.

I must admit that I'm using Coca Cola Zero as a crutch but so what. I like to drink sweet drinks so it's better than chugging milk or fruit juice.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 06:18:50 AM »
Tough day yesterday. I got through it without a meltdown though. It was one of those days where I felt hungry all day. Fortunately I adhered to rule number 1 (no refined sugar foods). I truly believe this strategy kept me from having a 4 pound day. I ate quite a bit of cheese and green grapes to keep the hunger at bay.

It was wierd because I don't know where this constant hunger came from. It may be significant that this was the first non work day since I began the regimen. Hopefully I deconditioned a bit by not giving in to thoughts of eating sugar but next time I'm going to have to  fight off  the urges and just not eat so much.

I wonder how I will follow up today.

Edit: despite my "troubles" I dropped a pound from the day before !!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:40:33 AM by SUGARDUDE »

Offline jared33

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
Good going, man.  Hang in there, the hunger will subside within a few days.  I think that the seemingly constant hunger is your body's way of protesting and trying to get back to what it was used to.  But the most progress is happening inside of you just when it seems toughest. Your doing great.  Do something (besides eat) to reward yourself and distract yourself from hunger.

By the way, who else is in this Biggest Loser contest with you?  Is it a bet or is there some reward for the winner?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:47:35 PM by jared33 »

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 05:49:29 AM »
The contest is amongst co-workers. There was a small buy in but the pot grows because if you gain weight you have to pay into the pot a dollar per pound gained.

Yesterday I went to a social gathering where there were numerous temptations........I gave in but I'm okay with that. That's going to happen. The bigger test for me is what happens today.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
Okay so it's 10:30 and the only thing keeping me from running down to 7-11 to get a bunch of junk is that I have a physical today and I was instructed to fast for 6 hours before the exam.

It's amazing how my body reacts the day after eating a lot of sugar.

I'm going to try some glutamine now to see if that helps. EDIT: It worked like a charm !!

DOUBLE EDIT: THE GLUTAMINE WAS TRULY MIRACULOUS. I believe I have found the key to getting back on the wagon following a day off. THIS IS HUGE !!.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:45:30 AM by SUGARDUDE »