Author Topic: Sugardude's Diet Puzzle  (Read 56344 times)

Offline Moonbeam

Re: Sugardude's Diet Puzzle
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
Good job getting back on it, Sugardude.

I've heard about the glutamine thing for sugar cravings but never tried it.  Did you mix it with anything?

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »
No. I just put the powder underneath my tongue.

Offline Jbird

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »
Interesting about the glutamine. How much do you use? If you took it every day, do you think it would help you resist sugar in the first place and not just help you get back on track? I'm wondering if you think it could be used as a preventive measure. Have you used it that way in the past? Good luck with the contest! I think putting money into the pot if you gain weight gives a new meaning to "pot belly"!

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
The glutamine does not seem to work as a preventative measure. I have tried this in the past by drinking it mixed with water a few times a day. It also has no effect on psychological cravings.

I will take a pinch out of the jar and put in underneath my tongue. The physical craving is gone in about 20 seconds.

The hardest part is actually talking yourself into actually ingesting the Glutamine. Frankly when a craving comes along, my brain tells me to give in to the craving instead of eliminating it. Sounds wierd but it's true.

Offline Moonbeam

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
That doesn't sound weird; it sounds totally normal to me.  I was just thinking about that recently--that making the choice to try and get rid of the craving (for whatever) is the hard part; actually getting rid of it once the choice is made may be less difficult.  It's weird. 

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 06:53:28 AM »
Well I'm pretty much back to square one ........again. Ever since sunday I haven't been able to hop back on the horse.

Jaye got me thinking about using glutamine as a preventative measure so I'm going to try the pure powder (as opposed to mixing it with water) after meals. It might be best to do it an hour or two after a meal but I'm going to experiment starting  this way.

Offline Moonbeam

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »
Don't give up, Sugar.  Pick a time (soon) to get back on it.  That's all you can do.

Maybe you should try my sardine diet. 

Offline HungryGuy

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »
Sugardude,

Don't let the slip get to you.  I like your analogy of getting thrown from a horse, just get back on like rodeo rider.  A lot of folks use a slip or relapse as proof they cannot conquer the beast (addiction), but I think it is better to see this as part of the process of learning. Part of it is learning to stop the relapse in its tracks and shorten the time in getting back on the horse.  Each time it happens, you get back on faster and with more determination.  And of course, you are very observant about what "tricks" work for you like glutamine or whatever.

Plus, we are all here cheering you on!

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the support.

I truly believe I am addicted to sweets and the only way to beat it is to totally abstain. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this but the diet now just has 1 rule: no eating anything that tastes sweet. This includes artificial sweeteners and even fruit (for now).

I'm hoping that if I can stick to this for a few months, I will effectively lose the reaction that I currently have to sweets. However, I realize the very real possibility that this may need to be a lifelong thing just like alcohol and drugs.

Offline Moonbeam

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »
Well, if that's the way it is SD, at least you will know how to handle it.  It's not the end of the world.  It's a bummer, but it's better than being out of control.  (I'm sort of in the same situation with sweets; I responded about that in Todd's alcohol thread.)

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
I usually add "Stevia in the Raw" to my breakfast cereal. I didn't today and things have gone much smoother for me so far.

Offline Moonbeam

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
SD have you ever tried low-carb?  I wouldn't touch cereal with a ten-foot pole, unless I wanted to eat the whole box.  It's just sugar in a different form.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »
SD have you ever tried low-carb?  I wouldn't touch cereal with a ten-foot pole, unless I wanted to eat the whole box.  It's just sugar in a different form.

Yes I have.  For me it's not about the carbs though. It's about the sweetness. It doesn't even have to be sugar. It can be artificial sugar or even a natural sweetener like Stevia. I'm aware of blood sugar spikes with carbs but that as you know some carbs turn to sugar much more slowly then others. I'm fairly certain that the cereal by itself is not a problem.....especially after yesterday.

The cereal I eat is called Simply Fiber and has no sugar in it but 14 grams of fiber.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:54:03 AM by SUGARDUDE »

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 06:48:26 AM »
I'll have to call yesterday a success. I was able to fend off cravings with glutamine as needed. I dropped a pound even though I ate Chinese food last night.

I'll take it.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »
Great to hear about your success, Sugardude! Robert Atkins, the inventor of the Atkins diet, was a big believer in glutamine to curb cravings specifically for sugar and sweet things.  You are correct that this is something different than generalized carb cravings.

In addition to the glutamine, you might consider B-vitamin complex.  Years ago, I found this helped my curb carb cravings and at the same time reduced my cravings for alcohol. You pointed out the connection between sugar and alcohol cravings in one of your other posts, and there is some research connecting both of these to a Vitamin B deficiency.  If you do this, be sure to take a high dose version with the full set of B-vitamins, not just any single B vitamin. You can get these in most any pharmacy. The B-vitamins are not fast-acting like the glutamine; you have to take them for a few days to correct a deficiency.