Author Topic: Sugardude's Diet Puzzle  (Read 69451 times)

Offline SUGARDUDE

Re: Sugardude's Diet Puzzle
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
Thanks Todd. I'll look into that.

I made it through yesterday and dropped another 1.5 lbs. I had to go to the glutamine jar about 4-5 times yesterday.

Today as I sit here during the 3:00 hour I have not had to use Glutamine even once. I figure the worst is probably behind me but now I know how to get back on track after a bad day (or 6). I'm going to try to do a whole month without sweets but even if I can't, I should be able to get back to business on the following day.

Offline Jbird

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 06:57:19 PM »
Interesting about Atkins endorsing glutamine. Didn't know that. I tend to shy away from supplements, but this may be worth trying based on SD's posts. SD, congrats on your getting back in the saddle and weight loss!

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
Still doing okay. I dropped another pound yesterday so I'm down to 210 from my starting weight of 216. I was at 213.5 when I stopped using alternative sweeteners.

Last night was a little difficult. I went to the jar twice but still had a nagging craving. Fortunately it wasn't the kind of craving that couldn't be resisted....but it was there....depite the glutamine.

Today is a weigh in so I'm skipping breakfast just to make sure I don't have to pay any money.

Offline Jbird

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
I want to try dropping all sweeteners before trying the glutamine. Glad you were able to resist your cravings, SD, and congrats on dropping another pound!

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 06:32:44 AM »
I want to try dropping all sweeteners before trying the glutamine. Glad you were able to resist your cravings, SD, and congrats on dropping another pound!

Good luck Jaye.

I dropped 2 more yesterday. I only went to the jar once after dinner.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 06:38:18 AM »
I'm now down to 207lbs which is 6.5lbs down starting my seventh day. I even ate a 1100 calorie hamburger last night (but I did burn close to 600 calories on the treadmill).

Glutamine is now just getting me through the evening.

Offline MallyHen

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
Wow!  Are you sure you're not losing too fast?  Sometimes the slower and steadier horse wins the race.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »
Wow!  Are you sure you're not losing too fast?  Sometimes the slower and steadier horse wins the race.

This always happens the first week. it's mostly water weight.

By the way, I fell off yesterday and I'm enjoying the weekend. Wish me luck on Monday.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 08:15:16 AM »
I gained a whopping 7lbs over the weekend and I'm not likely to stop there. Maybe this is somthing as simple as taking the B-vitamins like Todd said but Friday there was no way to stop the urge.......not even glutamine.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »
I would say "Sorry to hear that, Sugardude", but it's more productive to try to understand what happened and look forward.  So it might be helpful if you could first describe your experience in a bit more detail, then we can get the good thinkers on this forum to offer some suggestions.

I am assuming that it was sweet foods or beverages that triggered your binge, right? Can you say more about which specific foods got you going? Do you think it was sugar or sweet taste in general, was this a response to very specific trigger foods, as Heidi has been describing in her Non-Addictive Food Diet? Also, what were the circumstances, and what might have been the triggers or contextual cues that set you off?  Did you eat in a social setting or by yourself? What was your pattern of eating -- did you satisfy the urge by binge eating non stop, or did the urge build up progressively with each bite or portion?

I'm struck especially by your comment that "there was no way to stop the urge".  I think this leaves us with two main possibilities:
1.  The urge is due to a nutrient deficiency or chemical imbalance.
2.  The urge is a very strongly conditioned behavioral response.

If #1 is true, then behavioral deconditioning is unlikely to be helpful, because your body truly needs something it is not getting.  The only solution is to address the deficiency. You would have to figure that out either by going to a doctor & getting blood tests, or just try to address this by trial and error. Taking glutamine was a good idea, but apparently that does not always work for you. There are multiple deficiencies that have been proven to be associated with cravings, including mineral deficiencies (especially chromium, magnesium, and zinc) and Vitamin B deficiencies (especially niacin). If that is true, you should consider taking mineral and vitamin supplements. Here are some good links on that  topic:

http://www.diabeteslibrary.org/View.aspx?url=Article819
http://www.purehealthmd.com/nutrition/healthy-eating/sweeteners/stop-sugar-cravings.html

However, if supplements don't resolve the problem, or you believe #2 is true, then a deconditioning technique may be your best bet.  From the posts here on the forum and in the blog, I think your best bet for deconditioning is a "multi-pronged" approach, combining two or more of  the best ideas, as Heidi has suggested.  In that case I would suggest the following:

1.  Direct cue exposure, including looking, smelling and even "enlightened tasting" by chewing a spitting out the sugary food. I think Heidi's ideas about this make sense, and she speaks from personal experience about food addictions. To make cue exposure work you need to set aside a non-stressed time to do it repeatedly and frequently over a few days. Within a one hour period, do it 4-6 times, waiting each time until the urge starts to come back, then re-expose. Then do it the next day. Use different sugary foods, and do it different times of day or in different rooms.  It is key to vary the context and make the exposure realistic, except don't eat -- spit out! The exposure itself will diminish the urge! One or two times won't do the job. Have an alternate activity planned to do right after your cue exposure sessions.  Heidi has a good test for success:  the food should start to taste different!

After you succeed in dampening the urge and changing the flavor, you should try eating a small amount, very small, and stop dead in your tracks.  Do this on multiple occasions -- only a bite or two; then go do something else, hopeful fun and pleasureable.  Build up until eating is normal.

Cue exposure sounds hard.  But unless you bite the bullet and do this, your only alternative is abstinence, which I think is too difficult and always leaves you vulnerable to relapse.  If you can succeed with cue exposure, I think you have a long term solution.

2. Increasing a sustained sense of pleasure in your life. Do you find that you are more resitant to sweets when things are going well and you are generally feeling good?  I tend to agree with Heidi that we give into addictive urges when we are low in pleasure (i.e. when our dopamine and serotin levels are low).  Sugar generates dopamine and serotinin quickly, but the effect is short-lived and leads to a rebounding crash in neurotransmitter levels, which re-stokes the cycle.

To combat this, I would suggest adding physically stressful, strenuous or otherwise unpleasant activities into your daily routine, to generate endorphins and a sustained pleasure that will make you more resistant to cravings. This pleasure will also replenish your dopamine and serotinin levels in a sustained manner. Take a look at my post on the opponent-process theory of emotions for the explanation of how this works. Try different things: intense exercise (even going for fast-paced walks), very hot saunas or cold showers, even unpleasant or very spicy foods.

A final thought:  Seven pounds quickly gained over two days is most likely not fat, and is probably a lot of glycogen and water.  So if you can get back on the program, it will come back off in a few days.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:02:04 PM by Todd Becker »

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the input Todd.

This time the craving was not brought on by any external cues or foods. That's why I belive there is something else going on that maybe can be resolved through vitamins and minerals. I actually asked my doctor yesterday about the B vitamins and he is providing me with a custom vitamin that has all of that plus the Chromium Picolinate that you mentioned in your response to my e-mail.

I'm not bummed out at all. It's just another step in the process. Maybe this will be the final step.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
First day on the vitamins. I supposed to take one a day for the first week and get up to three a day after 2 weeks. So far today I haven't even considered using glutamine so it's all good. I know it's supposed to take time for my body to adjust so I'm not expecting any immediate miracles.

Offline HungryGuy

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »
I hadn't heard of vitamins and minerals to halt cravings, but I hope it works for you, Sugardude.  I found another website that supports this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5637573_stop-sweet-cravings-vitamins.html

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »
Yeah, I had read about it in an e-book recently but I felt that it wasn't the problem since i was taking a multivitamin.

I dropped three lbs yesterday. Today I thought I'd experiment to see what happens if I eat something as simple a fortune cookie.  Kaboom !! I love experimentation.

That's cool. I'm looking forward to see how I react to sweets in a few weeks. I suspect that things will always be the same in that regard but If I can eliminate th initial craving I'll win the war.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 06:55:17 AM »
I'm starting week #2 on the vitamins and increasing the dosage to two pills starting today. I haven't been "dieting" but today I'm going to try to get back on the plan again and see how it goes.

I weighed in today at a hefty 214.