Author Topic: Dr. Alex Efforts and Commentary.  (Read 2580 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Dr. Alex Efforts and Commentary.
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:46:04 AM »
Subject: Many of us are interested in a prevention-minded doctor's commentary.

Most of us will not believe anyone, unless a doctor tells us to do it.

This "thread" will be a place-holder for commentary on Dr. Alex's site and recommendations.

Otis>  I totally SUPPORT all prevention advocacy.  But I think only threshold prevention (where you do it yourself) can be truly successful.

Let us start with Jim's questions, and Dr. Alex's response.  If interested, add your own commentary about what is right and wrong with all prevention work.

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: Dr. Alex Efforts and Commentary.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:17:31 PM »
Personally I believe that the relaxed ciliary muscle gives an intermediate situation between a very convex and almost flat inner lens.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »
8. If this distance is less than 50 cm., test with a +1.5.

Αt step 8, if this distance is less than 50 cm he should test with a smaller than 1 plus not a bigger +1.5.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
@ Mr Otis Brown

I mention that I wear only +1D in my case of about 20/25 visual acuity because I spent most of my near vision habits at the computer which I see it at the blur zone of about 70cm with +1D on.
Your +1.75D suggestion I think is also correct because when reading with +1.5D on I need to move away my head from the book a lot. It is in my plans to buy a stronger plus for book reading. Is pupils distance so important factor for plus or can I just buy a cheap pair from a pharmacy store? But on the other hand if I buy them from Zenioptical they also have antireflective coating for future monitor use and can input my pupils distance.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »
Hi Alex,

I like your idea.  For now 1 d. is fine for the computer.

For "closer" work, then get a +1.75 diopter - like reading a book.

Make sure to "check" for proper distance (and effectiveness) by "pushing print" to find the "just blur point".

I think that a wise person will combine BOTH exercise AND the wearing of a plus-for-near.

But I add one additional requirement.  Patience and persistence.  This also includes getting to 20/30 and 20/20 (and stop wearing a minus), and also "refractive checking" - yourself.

This process always aims at your personal confidence and capability - and trust.

You truly trust you self - when you begin to read the 20/20 line, on your own brightly-lit Snellen.

This is just not "medical work", but rather scientific competence - in my judgment.

You are indeed successful.

@ Mr Otis Brown

I mention that I wear only +1D in my case of about 20/25 visual acuity because I spent most of my near vision habits at the computer which I see it at the blur zone of about 70cm with +1D on.
Your +1.75D suggestion I think is also correct because when reading with +1.5D on I need to move away my head from the book a lot. It is in my plans to buy a stronger plus for book reading. Is pupils distance so important factor for plus or can I just buy a cheap pair from a pharmacy store? But on the other hand if I buy them from Zenioptical they also have antireflective coating for future monitor use and can input my pupils distance.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »
@ Mr Otis Brown

I'd like to ask if from your history of helping pilots and people rehabilitating their distant vision have noticed people coming into "the ghosting or double image stage" and if they have managed to clear this in a period of months?

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:44:50 AM »

Since you know how to use a -1/2 diopter lens for your personal checking - I would ask if you see the ghosting though a -1/2 diopter lens.

That's a very good question, I have also posted this before.

I was prejudiced that since when starting with -2.25D I had vision 20/15 with no ghosting then Dr Alex was wrong and ghosting could clear with minus lenses and was a refractive error. Then noticing that ghosting is behaving chaotically maybe it is not organic. After you (Mr Brown) have asked me to test with -0.5D I found that the Snellen chart was sharper but the ghosing was there unchanged!!!

So maybe after rehabilitating from progressing myopia like me (due to the minus lenses as well) there is something bad left as the ghosting which doesn't correct with more minus and people rehabilitating from -1D to -1.5D may not even notice it.

The good thing is that ghosting is not something bad added but something bad preventing me from near 2020 vision acuity.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:01:27 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »
Thanks for the answer. In order to be more clear I.m still 20/25 but I think without ghosting maybe I were 20/20. Even with ghosting Dr Alex says there can be still myopia to reduce.

My left eye has a more faint second image-ghosting so I hope my right eye can become like the left.