Author Topic: Diplopia  (Read 10916 times)

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: Diplopia
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
Here is a research about a new way of reshaping the eyeball using pressure/whole-eye contact lenses. Mr Otis Brown also comments.

http://www.theeyefix.com/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:09:50 PM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 03:59:01 AM »
o use John Yee's Ortho-C, you must employ an optometrist, and that is always very expensive.

Υes, I just mention it to support the possible good effects about the exercise I mentioned before. So much years of causing myopia and wearing minus, it is logical for just plus to take months and years for good rehabilitation, especially in axial myopia

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
I have made a notice that supports Dr Alex's theory that dip;opia in rehabilitation is due to the visual cortex.
If I see from about 250cm a 2cm diameter black cycle, the moment I close one eye it takes some few seconds for diplopia to arise fully (the one cycle becomes two) and not immoderately. If it was organic it should be arising the moment I close the one eye.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
It is almost certain that people with high myopia have also astigmatism. A lot of people with medium myopia have also astigmatism.
Most people who reverse myopia, realize diplopia when they have greatly improved their visual acuity, so beforehands there is no point in seeing two sharp images since the blur is too much.
This looks like this diplopia might be low remaining astigmatism (or even myopia having effected even the cornea) or myopia not healed equally in all meridians.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »
Another person not having astigmatism when he improves beyond 0,5D he is starting to "gaining" astigmatism in cylinders the diopters he lost! And thus having diplopia. The doctor replies a possible solution to this and says that even this is better vision than previous.

Ashvin:

30.10.2013 at 13:11 #

Hi Doc,

I am on the way to get clear vision using your excercise. I am pleased that I have made some improvement in my vison. Please find detail below.

Date RE LE
SPH CYL AXIS SPH CYL AXIS
06-07-2013 -1.75 0 0 -1.75 0 0
26-10-2013 -0.75 -0.75 180E -0.75 -0.75 180

first reading is reasult of eye test before starting excercises. second reading is yeasterday’s eye test result.

You can clearly see that my SPH number decreased but my CYL number is increased. Earlier i was not having CYL number.

Is it normal behaviour to increase CYL number during excercise??
What is the reason for CYL number?

Thanks,
Ashvin
Doc:

30.10.2013 at 20:21 #

Ashvin, the reason for cylinder’s number is an unequal corneal refraction. I mean, now your pair of horizontal extraocular muscles (i.e. medial rectus m. and lateral rectus m.) is stronger than the pair of vertical extraocular muscles (i.e. superior rectus m. and inferior rectus m.). You need to add an effort of vertical extra muscles. You should do more up and down eye movements during the warm-up. Also the dynamic fixation trainer 2 helps you to strengthen the vertical eye muscles.
Ashvin:

31.10.2013 at 10:23 #

Thanks Doc,

I will surely add some effort during worm up and start doing dynamic fixation trainer 2 for 10 min.

Ashvin
Doc:

31.10.2013 at 18:41 #

Ashvin, a bit more information: before the eye training your myopia was -1.75 D both in horizontal and vertical meridians. Now your myopia is -0.75 D in horizontal meridian and -1.50 D in vertical meridian. In any case, now your uncorrected vision is better than before in particular as for vertical lines.

http://www.forbestvision.com/nuia-eyecharm-kinect%C2%AE-to-eye-tracking/

From my point of view at 20/25 in the morning, I feel my astigmatism is worse than my remaining myopia and not  enabling me to see 20/20.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:16:38 PM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »
Another case in the same link with similarities:

Akansha:

11.02.2014 at 15:35 #

Respected Sir

A few days ago I found your website and am going through it. Over the past few months I have tried to limit my use of eyeglasses.

My earlier prescription
Rt Eye
SPH -4.0 CYL -0.5 Axis 165deg
Lt eye
SPH -3.75 CYL -0.5 Axis 145deg

This had been the same for the past 10-12 years.

Today I got my eyes checked again and the prescription is
Rt Eye
SPH -3.5 CYL -1.0 Axis 180
Lt Eye
SPH -3.5 CYL -0.5 Axis 170

My question is why did cylindrical and axis change and what does it indicate? spherical number reduced but cylindrical has increased. Does it indicate worsening or improvement?

Another question is I spend around 6-7 hours daily on the laptop working. Should I wear -0.5 prescription glasses while working on the laptop. Also what strength to wear while driving.

Will be glad if you could guide me on this.
Doc:

11.02.2014 at 15:58 #

Akansha, now your pair of horizontal extraocular muscles (i.e. medial rectus m. and lateral rectus m.) is stronger than the pair of vertical extraocular muscles (i.e. superior rectus m. and inferior rectus m.). It indicates that your vision is a bit better. You need more up and down eye movements during the warm-up.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
Astigmatism causes images to be out of focus no matter what the distance.
It is possible for an astigmatic eye to minimize the blur by accommodating,
or focusing to bring the "circle of least confusion" onto the retina.

--Alex Eulenberg

http://web.archive.org/web/20080212081051/http://www.i-see.org/archive/astig

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 03:01:45 AM »
My mod of Dr Davydov's specific routine for diplopia.

In the stage of diplopia, after much gain I believe it makes plus lenses difficult to reduce myopia because the eye has two images now to deblur. This is my mod of Dr Davydov's specific routines for diplopia. In one month of this mod, added with plus of course, I saw  improvement in diplopia and at the Snellen chart while for seven months I was in a plateau.

Dr Davydov commented that in diplopia (specifically in the astigmatism by the rule) the superior and inferior rectus muscles need to get stronger, so the need for more up and down movement of the eyes.

1) The Advanced Extraocular Muscle Warm-up
http://www.forbestvision.com/advanced-external-ocular-muscle-warm-up/

should have more up and down movement as the doc suggested, so I did 75 as described in the link (not exactly with the breathing but not fast movements) and the 25 last ones only up and down movement.

The other exercise which is actually two (convergence and divergence) should be done with plus lenses and that's a smart thing combining exercises with plus lenses. The doc suggests one diopter myopic defocus which means +3D added to the refractive state and do the exercise at 0,5m. I think this way is too blurry and I lowered the plus for me (+2 added to my refractive state).
In order to manage divergence you might need weeks of training. Moreover if you do finally the divergence on the computer screen you might actually mistakenly doing convergence in stead of divergence because you don't have the ability to look far this way (moved the paper with the symbols up and down instead). Also in the first week you might manage divergence only with peripheral vision.

2) Dynamic Vision Trainer 2
http://www.forbestvision.com/dynamic-fixation-trainer-2/

I added my mod of doing the convergence on the monitor and moving my head forth until I see no doubly images and back beyond the edge of blur. After weeks the distance I saw double (and so me edge of focus) became longer.
I did about 8 minutes convergence and another 8 min divergence every day except Sunday, the doc said some time more.

It is better to do firstly all the exercises the site suggests and read the theory and even the comments.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:08:20 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline RynEyes

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
Alex_Myopic,

2 months ago, before I began using the plus lens for near work and practicing edge of blur techniques, I had lots of trouble doing any of the divergence exercises the doc recommends.  Convergence was cake, but I just couldn't get my eyes to agree to do the divergence exercises.

Now, the divergence exercises are much easier (it's like I've gained a sense of how it feels to relax the eyes into divergence); however, I'm still having a little difficulty with them.

My mod of Dr Davydov's specific routine for diplopia.

Also in the first week you might manage divergence only with peripheral vision.

Could you explain what you mean by this?  With convergence exercises, the center image has extreme detail once I correctly converge the images.  Will the same be true in the divergence exercises?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:29:17 PM by RynEyes »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 02:08:13 AM »
@RynEyes

In order to achieve the divergence exercise as discribed by the doc, you must have your two visual axis completely parallel and focus not at far but at 0.5m at the symbols (with the aid of plus lenses this near becomes also "far")

I couldn't get my eyes parallel in order to fuse in the divergence so the symbols got close but didn't fuse Some weeks later with constant practice while looking at far (about 6m) I neared the paper with the symbols printed at the very top of the paper so while looking at far with my peripheral vision I could see the symbols fused! The moment I tried to see the symbols with my central vision my eyes started to converge naturally (so the symbols went away from each other). After some weeks I just needed the far stimulus to get my eyes parallel and just raised the paper with the symbols to see them (or it when fused) completely fused with my central vision and even larger from the convergence exercise because in the convergence each eye looks a symbol diagonally so there is greater distance. I can see the fused symbol perfectly clear. The above clears what I meant "you might manage divergence only with peripheral vision."

The doc in order to help starters, advices to start with the distance of the symbols the half of our PD and then increase gradually. Also we can collage the symbols to a glass or a glass of frame so we can see far and parallelize the eyes while having the symbols close to our central vision. The advice of printing the symbols at the very top of the paper and slowly raise it close to our central vision while looking far was also his.

It is better to do the divergence without plus until you manage it. Without blur the "auto-fusing" mechanism works better. Then add plus.

"Will the same be true in the divergence exercises?"
Yes! And even if you hold the paper at exactly 0.5m in the convergence and divergence, you will see that in divergence the symbol is slightly magnified because of my above analysis.

The doc said that the more the myopia the harder is to achieve this divergence but divergence is more helpful than convergence in myopia.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:15:21 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline RynEyes

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »
Alex_Myopic,

Thanks for the response.  It is good to hear that similarly to the convergence exercise, when the fusion in divergence is done correctly, the image can be seen with your central vision in sharp detail.  This is how I believed it to work, but I had yet to be able to achieve it, so I was unsure.

I believe that I too am in the stage of diplopia in my rehab.  My distance vision has resolved greatly, but there is now a slight but noticeable amount of vertical ghosting, above the true image.  It is unnoticeable in my day to day activities, but quite apparent while viewing white text against a black background on an LCD television. It is also noticeable on well lit street signs at night.

As for the text on the television, I’ve found that if I cover the top part of my eye(s) with my hand, the ghosting disappears.  Has anyone else been able to resolve the ghosting with this method or have any idea why it works?  Will strengthening the superior and inferior rectus muscles as you have noted correct this?

Thanks

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 10:38:36 AM »
"I’ve found that if I cover the top part of my eye(s) with my hand, the ghosting disappears.  Has anyone else been able to resolve the ghosting with this method or have any idea why it works?"

I believe it is due to the pinhole effect. Also if I almost close my eyelids a lot my diplopia goes away.

"Will strengthening the superior and inferior rectus muscles as you have noted correct this?"

In the astigmatism by the rule the about vertical meridian in the eyeball is more myopic, so the doc suggests these forces to act with the corresponding muscles. Moreover you put pressure in the about vertical axis in the cornea as in my astigmatic mirror mod, you'll make the diplopia less.

Offline RynEyes

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »
In what ways does not being able to correctly do the divergence exercises manifest itself in one's distance vision? My understanding is that to do it correctly, your eyes need to be parallel. And isn't being parallel is the optimal position for the eyes to see far into the distance?

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 12:18:26 PM »
@RynEyes

The relationship between accommodation and convergence is broken when you try to look at 0.5m with parallel eyes. In fact a mild plus makes it easier if it doesn't blur too much because then we have parallel eyes and almost zero accommodation as when looking at far while we look at 0.5m.

So maybe with the divergence exercise except for myopic defocus we might have better focusing ability at far and a relationship of A/C as if we were looking far.

http://www.forbestvision.com/accommodation-and-convergence/

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 03:53:44 AM »
A very good post for diplopia. Looks almost like active focus. I'll try this on the astigmatic wheel.

The process I generally use is this: go outside, find something with high contrast. lampposts are good for this against the sky. Pull focus. blink. wait till the two images are sharp then stare and try not to blink. keep staring. after staring for a while things go a little hazy. blink a few times and the images should be aligned. This might not last for long but consistently doing it over time will result in less and less effort being required and the images combining for longer and longer periods. Also one of the 2 images gradually gets stronger over time and the other more faint.

http://endmyopia.org/johnny-working-double-vision-astigmatism-reduction/

I don't know if the paid courses of endmyopia suggests anything better for diplopia. At my stage diplopia must be worse than remaining myopia on day.