Author Topic: Trouble with focusing/clearing blur on familiar material and blinking  (Read 4712 times)

Offline NickGrouwen

Hi how are you I got a question.  When I do print pushing or Snellen chart focusing, I can't ever seem to get the blur to clear even after  three to five minutes of trying to focus, nothing changes at all. Yes I have tried every single distance close and far and in between, down to the millimeter.

Also when it seems like I finally DO get some focusing going, it disappears right after blinking. Blinking resets all my effort at focusing.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing these problems. I've googled around and it seems like I'm the only one who can't get to actively focus and whose rare moment of focus is lost due to the mere act of blinking.

The ONLY thing that helps me progress is reading fine print as prescribed by Dr. Bates, in a FOREIGN language! This is very important. For some reason my mind is too damn lazy to clear the blur when I'm reading English, Dutch or French material or looking at a Snellen chart, this must be because I can actually recognize what I'm seeing so my mind won't make the extra effort of clearing the blur. However! I recently found out that when I try to read fine print in a foreign language, I CAN actively focus since I don't recognize the foreign words so for some reason my mind kicks in and is finally motivated in clearing the blur. It takes a while and a lot of effort but in the end the blur clears and I can read the word.

I think the above really highlights how improving vision is not just a eye thing - the mind is heavily involved in it as well. At least in my case it is.

UPDATE: After a week and a half, I am now finally able to actively focus and clear the blur, regardless of the language of the material. My eyesight is improving so fast it is simply incredible. I guess my eyes must've been "stuck" or something, and they have now finally loosened up a little so that I am now able to focus and clear blur. My Snellen is clearing up dramatically fast.

Thank you Dr Bates. You know, the Bates Method may have been heavily derided by critics, but there are definitely a lot of truths in that book. Working with the Snellen and trying to clear the blur, reading fine print (similar to what we call print pushing), how seeing is done in part with the mind and not just the eyes, relaxing and resting the eyes. Plus the fact that back in Bates' time it was psuedomyopia that was more prevalent than today's ciliary myopia (I think). Bates' method worked great in his time but because we started to develop ciliary myopia because of our online indoor lifestyle, the method won't work very well for most of us. Not Bates' fault at all.

Oh btw has anyone checked out this Ultimeyes app? Google it, it's supposed to improve your vision through rewiring your brain or something? A study with baseball players found that they had all improved their vision to beyond 20/20 and some even reached 20/7.5!!!!! Amazing, since Wikipedia says that 20/8 is the best recorded visual acuity.

Come to think of it, baseball players tend to have really good vision. Would it be fair to say that baseball promotes good vision since you have to have really good far vision to be able to focus on the ball and predict its course?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:43:55 PM by NickGrouwen »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Trouble with focusing/clearing blur on familiar material and blinking
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:32:04 AM »
Hi Nick,

I think it is very important that you measure your own refractive status - whether you use "Bates-Exercise" or "Plus-prevention".

Here is an interesting "App" you can use to make that measurement.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/amazing-android-app-measures-myopia/

I know that all "prevention" activity is very frustrating - because recovery is so slow.  I encourage you to persist, but also report what you actually read on your "home-Snellen".

I believe in "personal empowerment" for true prevention - as you are now doing it.  We help each other by sharing our objective experience in reading our own Snellen.

Best,

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Hi Otis thank you yes I do see my Snellen clearing up every day so progress is steady with my personal method.

Thanks again for fighting the good fight across the internet and encouraging people to take their vision health in their own hands by spreading the word about plus prevention, rather than having the optometrist over prescribing everyone with vision-killing minus lenses.

Hahaha remember this post, it still gets me laughing:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Sci/sci.med.vision/2012-05/msg00005.html
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:51:14 AM by NickGrouwen »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 04:04:47 AM »
Hi Nick,

Here is another video by Oliver for your interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSvQb98txw

For me, Ms. Oliver, holding a book in front of my face, and talking about Bates of 100 years ago, is not progress.  I always recommend that Dr. Bate's original study be read by the interested person.  I am always willing to discuss the "goods" and the "bads" of this particular study.  If a FUTURE "preventive effort" were to be proposed, I would start by reading this study.

http://www.central-fixation.com/bates-medical-articles/myopia-prevention-teachers.php

As always, I support prevention - provided you personally make the confirming measurements.  (Both refraction and visual acuity.)

I think Bates was partially successful in 1912.  At that time, it was not known that

1)  Long-term near creates "negative status" for all natural eyes. (Or nearsightedness is a natural process - that we must understand, not a "failure" at 20/40), and

2)  The minus lens, while very impressive, simply creates an ever MORE NEGATIVE near environment for the eye.  Thus

3)  The minus lens, however impressive, can never "solve" any problem, except to impress you in an office.  What is depressing is

4)  There are quite a few ODs and MDs, who KNOW THIS.  They just do not want to tell you about it.

WHAT IS THE "REALITY" OF OPTOMETRY - A MAN IN HIS OFFICE WITH A MINUS LENS.  (I will  not fight about this issue.)

The answer is that the minus lens works for him. In a very limited fashion, it works for you.

Bates objected to this process, and ran his own study.  I believe that major scientific changes (and truth) have developed in the last 50 years. 

But the reality remains the same.

That means, effectively, that the "minus lens quick-fix process" runs completely out of control.

It is indeed a sad scientific truth - we should all think about.

I believe in objective-science.  The OD simply can not be involved in prevention.  We all should understand that issue.

I believe in meeting and exceeding REASONABLE visual standards - under *my* control - because I "gave up" on the office-optometrist.

That means I take the 20/40 line as a staring point, and expect to slowly get to 20/20, (refractive state = 0.0 diopters) totally on my own.

This process does involve TRUST.  I trust the science  supporting prevention.  But I do check myself.

I wish you success in this process - but it all starts with self-checking of your own Snellen, and trusting your own competence to make these measurements.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:48:33 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
Hi Otis,

I agree with you on Ms. Oliver. I don't hate her or dislike her, I believv she genuinely wants to help people restore and preserve healthy vision. However I wish she would consider the value of using plus lenses to do these very things. Bates was a good man and has deinitely revealed some truths about the eyes and I thank him for much of the wisdom and knowledge I have received from reading his works and I have definitely incorporated a lot of his information into my personal individual method of restoring my eyesight.

However she needs to realize that he was not perfect (NO ONE IS) and his method was not infallible (NO METHOD IS). Let us take from the Bates Method what we can use and apply in today's world of ciliary myopia and leave the rest of the method to those with pseudomyopia.

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »
Hi jimboston,

I'll just give you the first part of the post that I've crossed out, I've put in bold what I think worked for me - it explains everything pretty well I think:
Hi how are you I got a question.  When I do print pushing or Snellen chart focusing, I can't ever seem to get the blur to clear even after  three to five minutes of trying to focus, nothing changes at all. Yes I have tried every single distance close and far and in between, down to the millimeter.

Also when it seems like I finally DO get some focusing going, it disappears right after blinking. Blinking resets all my effort at focusing.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing these problems. I've googled around and it seems like I'm the only one who can't get to actively focus and whose rare moment of focus is lost due to the mere act of blinking.

The ONLY thing that helps me progress is reading fine print as prescribed by Dr. Bates, in a FOREIGN language! This is very important. For some reason my mind is too damn lazy to clear the blur when I'm reading English, Dutch or French material or looking at a Snellen chart, this must be because I can actually recognize what I'm seeing so my mind won't make the extra effort of clearing the blur. However! I recently found out that when I try to read fine print in a foreign language, I CAN actively focus since I don't recognize the foreign words so for some reason my mind kicks in and is finally motivated in clearing the blur. It takes a while and a lot of effort but in the end the blur clears and I can read the word.

I think the above really highlights how improving vision is not just a eye thing - the mind is heavily involved in it as well. At least in my case it is.

So all I really did was try to find material that really stimulated my mind and made it motivated to work through the blur, otherwise I couldn't read what was there. Material in familiar language and familiar symbols didn't do it for me (now it does!) because I could vaguely recognize the words, but trying to focus on text that was in a foreign language finally engaged my mind into the process.

Another thing I think did it for me was just plain perseverance - whatever the material is just keep practicing non-stop and you'll eventually break through that plateau! It to me a week and a half and was getting pretty discouraged but I kept at it.

What I've also noticed is that you're training your ability to focus faster and faster. Focusing is taking less and less time for me now, whereas when I started out, I couldn't focus at all! My eyes were literally just stuck and hardened, they didn't do anything. Now they're getting smoother and more flexible and able to focus on more distant objects.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:33:32 AM by NickGrouwen »

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:50:02 AM »
1. Work with foreign material, where words are unfamiliar to you.
2. Use fine print to engage in active focus.
3. Persevere.
Yeah pretty much. I say fine print because for some reason it was a little more effective than just taking a regular letter size text and holding it far away. I dunno why. But it could probably work either way for most people.

My suspicion is that the foreign text forces you to concentrate on the characters, which you recognize, instead of the words, which have no meaning to you. It has been my experience that familiar words are processed entirely, which doesn't allow one to focus on the finer features of the letters. High reading speed probably is the culprit.
Yeah I do read in a different way than word-for-word, normally I take in whole blocks or even pages of text at a time, so I rely heavily on word recognition, so that I can read pretty fast. I have to slow down a bit for vision practice lol!

Finally, what sort of distance/text size do you use relative to your refractive status? I.e. What challenges you?
Hmm well I do it a little differently than is written on the main site. I guess it's not so much print pushing as it is print "pulling". Instead of holding the text at a distance where it is perfectly clear and then backing off to have it become veeery slightly blurry and then try to clear that slight blur, I instead just sit as far back as possible where the text is really blurry. At that point I start to make out the text by relaxing and concentrating on focusing. Usually this works just fine and I can work through the blur, but if I am really badly stuck on some particular word that I can't make out, I try pulling in very very very slowly, one bit at a time, concentrating really hard until I can finally read the word. It"s different from the regular print pushing method, I call it it print pulling, and it works EXCELLENT for me. Why do I do it this way, personal preference I guess. My progress using this method has been so fast I can't even believe it. My vision improves everyday and it stays like that (it hasn't regressed the next day when I wake up or something). Pretty soon I'm going to have to change the resolution of my screen, or the letter size in my browser or get a pair of plus lenses because I am sitting further away from books and screens than ever. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:55:42 AM by NickGrouwen »

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 02:52:06 AM »
Yes I am actively working with a Snellen every single day for at least an hour or so. Again, in the beginning, nothing happened. Eyes wer stuck, no focusing, nothing. Now I can actually focus on the letter, it's still kind of hard but I'm getting there and the letters are getting sharper and blacker each and every day~!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:29:39 AM »
Hi Nick,

I also do not hate Ms. Oliver.  I also realized that if I advocated, "threshold prevention by wise wearing of a plus for near", that I would be classed with her as being another, "Bates lunatic".  Thus the "medical profession" goes completely deaf - to honest discussions (out side their office) that indeed advocate prevention.

This is why medicine is a "pure default" profession, that will make no acknowledgement that ANY CHANGE IS POSSIBLE (and I do mean exclusively, preventing "negative status" in the totally natural eye.)

This is why I will never say, "cure", or "nearsightedness" for that matter.  BOTH these words are always interperted as a "rabid" attack on "conventional medicine".  ( A lot of money is involved - as we understand it.) 

I truly "wondered" about this issue of "medical bias" - and then total lack of communication about even the POSSIBILITY of prevention.

I will never say that a self-induced change of +1 diopters (from -1 diotper, 20/60, to 0.0 diopters, and therefore 20/20) is ever a "cure".

In fact - I will agree that most people,

1) Are not interested,
2) Believe that this is an "intrusion" in their life - that they do not want.
3) Believe that the minus is safe.
4) Believe that an OD will VOLUNTEER information (as pure science) that the minus is NOT SAFE AT ALL.
(Science shows WHY the minus is not safe - but it is easy to use the minus, on the ignorant public.)

5) Do not want to accept the plus (because it would cost too much).
6) The subject (of self-prevention, and avoiding the minus) is just boring..

Let me add, that no OD or MD will tell you that a "plus" - used intelligently - is harmful. They will just tell you that it, "won't work at all", and that because it "won't work", they can never prescribe it.  (I almost agree with them on that point.)

But what Ms. Oliver insists on saying is that the plus is dangerous.  In that, she has no scientific proof at all.  In fact, it is the minus that (in the long run), is making matters far worse.

Because of Ms. Olivers statements - no OD or MD will pay any attention to anyone who advocates for personal empowerment about plus-prevention, while the person can still read the 20/40 to 20/60 line - and with resolve, could slowly get to 20/30, and then more slowly to 20/20.

I think the "dividing line" must be a matter of "educated intelligence in the person himself", and more important, "educated motivation".

This is why Todd Becker was successful from -1.25 diopters, and why other, motivated people have made themselves objectively successful.

I urge you to continue to improve your Snellen - by your own resolve an insights.

That is what true-prevention is going to take - from all of us.

Hi Otis,

I agree with you on Ms. Oliver. I don't hate her or dislike her, I believv she genuinely wants to help people restore and preserve healthy vision. However I wish she would consider the value of using plus lenses to do these very things. Bates was a good man and has deinitely revealed some truths about the eyes and I thank him for much of the wisdom and knowledge I have received from reading his works and I have definitely incorporated a lot of his information into my personal individual method of restoring my eyesight.

However she needs to realize that he was not perfect (NO ONE IS) and his method was not infallible (NO METHOD IS). Let us take from the Bates Method what we can use and apply in today's world of ciliary myopia and leave the rest of the method to those with pseudomyopia.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:59:14 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:45:37 AM »
This is great to hear. Are you just starting or have you been improving your vision for a long period of time? It is a great idea to keep a log with measurements, if you don't have one already. It keeps you accountable and less biased.
I have been on this forum since October 26 last year, and have been practicing on and off (the old way, doing print pushing) for a few months here and there but I never really stuck with it because I was going through a lot of stuff in life, so I was never consistent. I remember my eyesight clearing up but always regressing the day after. I was just too lax.

Now I have been practicing diligently and religiously every single day for the past week and a half, having turned all near work into far work and making rapid progress. Yes I do mark my status every Friday of the week. I hesitate to post these online for the time being, because my vision when I started out was so bad it's embarrassing...I didn't  do all of this the last time I practiced but since I have a few months of free time now I get to practice all day every day.

This morning I checked my Snellen chart and, let me just tell you, I had to sit down from being so overwhelmed. It was so clear to me now compared to just days ago. Most people with myopia have a good idea of what it is like to have clear vision because they wear their glasses.
But when you're like me and you have bad myopia for a LOT of years but you never ever wore your glasses (I never did because I never liked glasses :P and I instinctively felt they would worsen my vision), so you don't know what clear vision looks like and feels like, and then all of a sudden your vision is clearing up from working hard, practicing everyday - it is truly a wondrous feeling and a beautiful view. I cannot even imagine what 20/20 vision is like, let alone 20/15, let alone 20/10, but it must be truly beautiful and I vow to get to that point.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 06:55:08 AM »
Hi Nick,

I would like to comment on this issue.

Nick>  Now I have been practicing diligently and religiously every single day for the past week and a half, having turned all near work into far work and making rapid progress. Yes I do mark my status every Friday of the week. I hesitate to post these online for the time being, because my vision when I started out was so bad it's embarrassing...I didn't  do all of this the last time I practiced but since I have a few months of free time now I get to practice all day every day.

Otis> I do not ask a person to post his "Snellen status - on line - unless you choose to do so". But you should KNOW IT, and if 20/40 (bright SNellen at 20 feet) you should be very happy.  Even 20/50 is reasonable at this point.

Otis>  Once you get to 20/40 - change is VERY SLOW.  But you are able to work with no minus lens.  It is at that point, I would buy two minus lenses (-1/2 and -1) and check to see if you are close-to 20/20. 

Otis>  The entire point of making this minus-lens check - is that it is a matter of personal competence.

Otis>  I also agree that "once a week" is a good check. But do not expect much progress.  Real change just takes a degree of trust in yourself and the science behind this type of return to normal.

Best,
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:03:14 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »
Believe mr. Brown. I totally get what you're saying. I try to spread the word on eyesight preservation and restoration and it almost universally falls on deaf ears (and blind eyes, if you will), pretty much for all the same reasons you have already stated. They just plain don't really believe it, or they don't want to deal with all the work they would have to do, or they they think I'm nuts - because it's "impossible" to restore your eyesight, when I am literally seeing with my very own eyes, for the first time in so many years, clarity and sharpness wherever I look. Luckily I have two friends that I practice with. It was actually one of those friends that turned ME on to eyesight improvement.

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »
OK, me and my friends Reuben and Eric were practicing today, and I think we have just come across the ultimate super mega ultra turbo charged vision improvement method the world has ever seen, which is based on a culmination of our collective observations, experiences and experimentation. I used it on my left eye and my mind is literally blown.

I will report back ASAP once we have established it works.

And trust me, I am NOT exaggerating.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:23:49 PM by NickGrouwen »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 05:59:43 PM »
Hi Nick,

Sounds great.  But the only important issue is to read your Snellen, objectively, and report it here.

You do that - and we will all believe you.

(And I am not a critic.)

The only person who cares about your distant vision - is yourself.

(With all due respect.)

OK, me and my friends Reuben and Eric were practicing today, and I think we have just come across the ultimate super mega ultra turbo charged vision improvement method the world has ever seen, which is based on a culmination of our collective observations, experiences and experimentation. I used it on my left eye and my mind is literally blown.

I will report back ASAP once we have established it works.

And trust me, I am NOT exaggerating.

Offline jansen

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
Glad to see you are improving! I'm very interested in your method to improve eyesight quickly, as i have been stuck in a plateau for over 2 yrs now