Author Topic: Patch your stronger eye!  (Read 6742 times)

Offline NickGrouwen

Patch your stronger eye!
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:34:14 AM »
I don't see a lot of people talking about it on this forum and I do see a lot of people with one eye weaker, much weaker, than the other.
I want to really advise those people to go out and buy an eye patch or make one. I would actually force you to use one if I was in your area, that's how important this is! Actually even when both your eyes are of the same strength, it is still recommended by some to use an eye patch anyway.
It's already said in the article on the main website, "throw away your glasses" where it advises you to use a patch, yet I tend to see quite a lot of people on a lot of  forums and websites  not using a patch and being dissatisfied with their slow progress. From what I read in their posts, all they buy is a pair of reading glasses, they never bother to patch one eye.

Variation 1: do it with a patch ($3-4 at the drugstore or optometrist).
Advisable whether or not both eyes are equally nearsighted, for three reasons:
1) it avoids the strain involved when two eyes must coordinate; plus,
2) it allows one eye to rest (pupil dilates = iris is relaxed; no light
stimulus getting on your retinal nerves)
3) it ensures that one eye is indeed training, and not letting the other
one do the work.
From Alex Eulenberg, http://www.i-see.org/archive/plus

My left eye is VERY weak. I realized a few daya ago that my stronger right eye was doing all the work - I believe this has to with what is called ocular dominance which is the tendency to prefer visual input from one eye to the other. My overall vision has improved but it is mostly due to my right eye that it has improved, while my left eye in comparison only got a little stronger, but not much at all.

Anyway, when you have a weaker eye, patch your stronger eye! This is very important. You have to patch that eye as much as you can throughout the day and work only with the weaker eye. This way you will ensure that you are training that eye and that eye alone, because otherwise the stronger eye will do all the work. This is consistent with my observations so far.
Yesterday I patched my right eye all day and practiced with only my left eye, and it was hard but wow. Some of you already know how I go on about how fast I'm progressing, but patching my stronger eye super-turbo-ultra-charged my progress! I can not believe the difference!

Go out and get an eye patch right now!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:08:55 AM by NickGrouwen »

Offline NickGrouwen

Re: Patch your stronger eye!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »
Haha I was just kidding when I said I would force someone :D my point is that it is pretty important though for people in a similar situation as mine. I'd say one diopter is already a big difference and I would use an eye patch ASAP...everything goes so much faster then...no point in wasting time by having one eye do most of the work

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »
Nick,

Great post and comments.  I myself used an eyepatch to force my weaker (more myopic) left eye to improve to the level of my dominant right eye.  The patch was a bit nerdy looking, so I found several other methods that work:

1. Winking:  This is hard at first, but becomes easier as your winking muscles get stronger.  The main disadvantage is that a closed or patched eye that is deprived of light experiences some time to readjust to bright light when re-opened.  However, you can just open your eye intermittently to minimize this effect.

2. Shielding. This involves holding the thumb edge of your hand alongside your nose and tilting it at a slight angle to block direct viewing of text.  Your open eye now dominates over the image of the blocking hand, so the field of vision is pretty normal, and your "blocked" eye is still getting plenty of light, no there is no later adjustment problem

3. Diffuser.  Instead of a solid patch, use a translucent or opaque diffuser.  Wax paper works pretty well.  This allows light to pass, but prevents the dominant eye from focusing.  This allows the weaker eye to work and get better.

I spoke about this in my talk in Berkeley last Saturday. I have attached an image from one of the slides, illustration some of these options.

Almost everyone starts with eyes that have different degress of myopia or hyperopia -- if they differ by more than 0.5 diopters, then its good to use some variation of patching to force the weaker eye to catch up with the dominant eye.

Todd
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:04:14 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
Hi Todd,

Where is the slide?  Could  you post some more about your presentation?

Otis

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:01:04 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
Hi Otis,

The video and slides are linked to my latest post on the blog:

Myopia: a modern yet reversible disease

The slide on patching is towards the end of the slide set linked to the post.  (It is also attached to my comment to Nick above).  Note that it was not in the live video presentation, because the AV personnel inadvertently used an early draft I sent them instead of the final version I had provided them (and checked that morning to confirm was on their computer).   But I also discussion patching in the question and answer session in the last 10 minutes of the video.

Otis, I want to thank you very much for your role in advocating for use of the plus lens to prevent and reduce myopia.  I cited your work in the references at the end of the talk, and I also want to thank you for the Francis Young eskimo study that I included in the first half of the talk regarding the epidemiology and causation of myopia.

Todd
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:15:24 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline FonkStreet

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »
3. Diffuser.  Instead of a solid patch, use a translucent or opaque diffuser.  Wax paper works pretty well.  This allows light to pass, but prevents the dominant eye from focusing.  This allows the weaker eye to work and get better.
Todd

Hi Todd, I think it is a bad idea, look here.

http://www.iovs.org/content/51/12/6262/F2.large.jpg

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:36:09 AM »
Hi Todd! Eye patches can indeed be nerdy looking, but for me personally they are more annoying than anything, inconvenient and quite uncomfortable and I wasn't satisfied with how much light was being blocked out, it wasn't enough. It depends on the patch you're using of course but here in my area there aren't many good stores with good patches. The patches would also wear out very quickly...so we had to improvise a little.

My advocacy of utilizing eye patches (even when both your eyes are of similar strength) still stands, but my I just couldn't take the eye patch anymore. My friend used one too but stopped using it for the same reasons. So what he did was take an old pair of sunglasses, pop out the lenses, drape an old black sock over one half of the frame and secure in place. Wearing this "frame patch" feels a lot more comfortable and is more convenient than an eye patch (which left marks because it was either too tight or fell of a lot because it didn't fit right anymore because it wore out and felt uncomfortable and was inconvient to put on and take off quickly). :-[

This works so much better for me now. :D

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
I cut a piece of thick fabric and put it by folding once on the one lens of my plus pair of glasses.

Offline graeme

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
Can different levels of undercorrection achieve the same goal? I was -3.5/-2. I just got tested again and am -3/-1.75, following a couple months undercorrection + distance focussing.

If I undercorrect my right eye more, will this force the left to dominate + improve faster? e.g. making my next glasses: -2.5/-1

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 09:14:07 AM »
I believe that the more undercorrected the eye will be the less chances are to dominate.

Offline graeme

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »
I believe that the more undercorrected the eye will be the less chances are to dominate.

But will this produce the desired effect: left eye recovers faster?

One thing I wondered about was that the left eye will have 0.5 diopters to grow into the glasses, whereas the right eye will have 0.75. Is it possible this would actually allow the right to recover faster?

I'm hoping it's more likely the right won't recover and the left will, helping bridge the gap.

Offline gekonus

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 03:09:01 AM »
You know, I cant really explain this , but it seems like print pushing with one eye at a time is ALOT more difficult.. Its like the brain is not used to it, and then its annoying when you open the other eye, everything seems so lighter

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
You know, I cant really explain this , but it seems like print pushing with one eye at a time is ALOT more difficult.. Its like the brain is not used to it, and then its annoying when you open the other eye, everything seems so lighter

Agreed, it's definitely more unpleasant.  I just spent about 2 months doing this with my weaker left eye.  I did make progress -- I think I decreased its myopia by around 1/2 a diopter, or even slightly more -- but it felt taxing.  I'm relieved to stop working on that for now.  In the Secret of Perfect Vision, David DeAngelis (sp?) states that using both eyes together results in a 5-10% increase in distance clarity.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it definitely feels easier to push print in binocular mode (and enables you to use a slightly stronger lens, too). 

Offline gekonus

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 06:00:57 AM »
I think what he meant by that 5-10% better vision with binocular vision is:

Lets say you have R -1  L-1.5  , So with both eyes you'll see better than with your better eye alone, even tho your other eye is weaker

Wow, you've got a 1/2 diopter improvement in 2 months? Dam.. if I'll get half a diopter improvement , I'll probably be 20/25 haha

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »
An update here.  Contrary to my expectation, and to that of several people on the forum, I've experienced my best improvement in my weaker eye by using the same strength plus lens with it as with my stronger eye!  Recently, I started reading with strong plus lenses (+5 or +6).  Normally I pop out the lens for my weaker eye and replace it with a lens that is a diopter lower, as my weaker eye is about a diopter weaker (or half diopter, more recently).  However, this time I didn't feel like it, and just kept both lenses the same strength.  To my surprise, over the course of a couple of months, my weaker eye has been improving faster than ever!  I can finally read 20/20 with it, though I have to give it some time to focus.  (I think since my stronger eye still dominates for distance vision, my weaker eye tends to do more of the close-up work, and needs several seconds to adapt to distance vision by itself.)

So for those who have one eye a bit weaker than the other, you might try just using the same strength lenses for both eyes anyways.