Author Topic: Patch your stronger eye!  (Read 6716 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Patch your stronger eye!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 09:09:15 PM »
Hi CaimanJosh,

Subject: The reason people fail - with the plus.

They fear wearing a strong plus (at 20/40) all the time.  They will "dabble" with the plus, and expect extremely clear vision in a month or two.  They
also very seldom, consistently check a "bright Snellen" for visual acuity.

You are right to experiment, with various strength plus lenses for reading.  I also AGREE that even though your eyes are "different" by 1/2 diopter or so, the better idea is to just use equal strength plus for reading.

Over time, BOTH eyes will "move positive", and one eye will begin to get 20/20, and the other 20/40. (Totally normal to have a 1/2 diopter difference.  (This is actually valuable, when you get "older".  You will have excellent distant and near vision - though the age 60 or so.

As always, plus-prevention, and success is totally personal.  Only you can choose a course of action - that meets your personal needs.

Thanks for your report on your success.

An update here.  Contrary to my expectation, and to that of several people on the forum, I've experienced my best improvement in my weaker eye by using the same strength plus lens with it as with my stronger eye!  Recently, I started reading with strong plus lenses (+5 or +6).  Normally I pop out the lens for my weaker eye and replace it with a lens that is a diopter lower, as my weaker eye is about a diopter weaker (or half diopter, more recently).  However, this time I didn't feel like it, and just kept both lenses the same strength.  To my surprise, over the course of a couple of months, my weaker eye has been improving faster than ever!  I can finally read 20/20 with it, though I have to give it some time to focus.  (I think since my stronger eye still dominates for distance vision, my weaker eye tends to do more of the close-up work, and needs several seconds to adapt to distance vision by itself.)

So for those who have one eye a bit weaker than the other, you might try just using the same strength lenses for both eyes anyways.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 04:52:05 AM »
Over time, BOTH eyes will "move positive", and one eye will begin to get 20/20, and the other 20/40. (Totally normal to have a 1/2 diopter difference.  (This is actually valuable, when you get "older".  You will have excellent distant and near vision - though the age 60 or so.

There is a chance that if the difference is greater 0,5D and wear equal plus when print pushing, the stronger eye might doing the work and the weaker being beyond the edge of blur and not improving.

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:54 AM »
There is a chance that if the difference is greater 0,5D and wear equal plus when print pushing, the stronger eye might doing the work and the weaker being beyond the edge of blur and not improving.

Yes, I'd always thought that to be the case also, which is why for so long I used weaker lenses for my weaker eye.  Yet in this case, using a stronger lens for it brought about improvement that had eluded me for the last year or so.  I'd suggest trying it both ways (give it several months each way) and seeing what works best. 

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
There are useful eye patches even to wear over glasses.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xeye+patch.TRS0&_nkw=eye+patch&_sacat=0

After some time wearing a patch while print pushing my weaker eye clears the letters better.