Author Topic: Questions by Musa  (Read 10731 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Questions by Musa
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
Hi Musa,

You are right, of course.  Everyone want to feel that "exercise will do it".  But I have yet to find anyone who did "pure exercise", and objectively got to 20/20 !!!  But yes, if you feel doing exercise for 10 minutes a day - will get you back to 20/20, then you should try it.

You have a Snellen chart, and know how to read it.  I understand you can read the 20/50 line at this time.

You have six future years of school to complete.

If you can do exercise, and get back to 20/20 - that would be wonderful.  But it would be extremely rare for you to succeed.

But full responsibility - rests exclusively with you.   

Another young man (Capitol Prince) is about your age, and about 20/40.  He also is doing exercise.  He also judges that is the correct way, and will become successful.

It is easy.  You just have to do it - and eventually read the letters on the 20/20 line.

Hi Otis,
I thought about doing eye exercises 10 mins a day. Is this OK? Also, i thought there were more most on this thread.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:20:21 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
Hi Otis,
I think you are a little confused. Im doing: plus lense + eye exercises. I havent given up on eye excercises. What worries me though is the line:"But it would be extremely rare for you to succeed."

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
Hi Musa,

If you choose, "only exercise", which I thought you said, then it would be rare.

The people who I know who are successful, have used a combination of so-called "exercise", and steady, consistent wearing of the plus - for almost all close work.  I do not consider this to be "medical" nor a "medical solution".

I think I posted this before - but I will do it again.  If you do not wear the plus - though the school years, your vision will go down by -1/2 diopter per year - for EACH YEAR YOU ARE IN SCHOOL.  This is why I say that exercise ALONE WILL NOT DO IT.

Further, people promise they will do "exercise for 10 minutes a day" - and then they "forget" after six months - if not sooner.

The plus is different.  Just do not "forget" to put the plus on when you read.  (It may not make sense to you - but it DOES make sense to me.)

No one who is "medical" has ANY INTEREST, NOR WILL YOU GET THEIR SUPPORT.

I consider it a success if you 1) Always EXCEED THE 20/40 LINE - objectively  2) Continue to wear the plus though college.  3) Teach yourself how to obtain a minus lens from Zennioptical - and do your own checking with it.

This is a high order of intellectual responsibility.  I do not tell a person to do this - I give you the facts, and then you must figure-out what is important in  your life.

I do not think a person can get out of much more than 20/60.  But you will see for yourself.

http://myopiafree.wordpress.com/study/

You can call this data "depressing".  But it DOES show the kids wearing a minus lens - go down at -1/2 diopter per year.  (That is indeed yourself for the next six years).

The data shows that the young people, who wore the plus, did not go down.  (But these were "kids".)

What can be inferred from this basic scientific data is this:

1) Wearing a minus (except for a temporary reason) is a mistake.

2) Wearing the plus - is for the long-term. (Because of that -1/2 diopter per year - if you do not wear it.)

3) There are no "quick fixes" and there is no medical solution - at all.

4) The ODs will just tell you (about the -1/2 diopter per year) that is just your, "bad heredity", and you can do NOTHING about it.

5) The ODs do not even bother to help their own children, do do not ask them to help you.

This is "base line" data - for you to understand the true challenge of "just prevention."

I do not "nag" a person to wear the plus.  You must figure this out for yourself.

Pilots do this successfully - because the "pain" of losing their distant vision, is worse that the bother of wearing the plus correctly.

Hi Otis,
I think you are a little confused. Im doing: plus lense + eye exercises. I havent given up on eye excercises. What worries me though is the line:"But it would be extremely rare for you to succeed."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:41:33 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »
Hi Otis,
Thanks for the clarification. So the extra 10 minutes of active focus: do you think it will be highly effective to this process or like adding a grain of rice to a sack?
Regards

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
Hi Musa,

It is obvious that most people believe in exercise.  As long as you monitor your Snellen and due course begin to exceed the 20/40 line (objectively), you will be doing very well.

Hi Otis,
Thanks for the clarification. So the extra 10 minutes of active focus: do you think it will be highly effective to this process or like adding a grain of rice to a sack?
Regards

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »
Hi Otis,
I'm not too keen on the active focus, i dont rely on it too much. Is it okay if i just focus on plus lens?
Regards

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
Hi Musa,

I can only give you  my opinion, since I monitor my own Snellen (currently 20/20), and wear a +2.5 as I type this.  I know how hard it is to convince yourself that long-term wearing of a plus (for near) is for virtually everyone.

As an engineer, I rely on science and analysis - of existing studies.  They show the wisdom of being wise, and personally, making certain (after some time of wearing a plus) that you exceed the 20/40 line, and begin to read the 20/30 line.  No one can prescribe this policy. 

Prevention this way is totally personal.  But if you succeed, the cost is almost nothing - since you do  it yourself.

Pilots are successful (like Severson) because he got the idea, and long term wearing of the plus - did not daunt him. 

But that is what it takes - to make yourself successful.

What is hard to accept, and takes long-term study to accept, is the necessity of measuring your refractive status yourself, and "keeping up" the wearing of a plus through the school years.

That "long-term" issue - is for only you to judge - and decide.

Hi Otis,
I'm not too keen on the active focus, i dont rely on it too much. Is it okay if i just focus on plus lens?
Regards
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:53:41 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 08:36:24 AM »
Hi Otis,
So you are 20/20 but still wear plus lenses- even after your eyes stabilize?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
Hi Msua,

I asked you to post here - so you could read all the contradictory opinions (all honest and sincere) about prevention, while you can still read the 20/50 line at home.  I know that, because of your young age - prevention will be difficult for you, since you will have to "re-start" wearing the plus, when you again go below 20/40.  This is an education, never a guarantee.  I take true-prevention to be a "window of opportunity" for you, or at least you will have an education about this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZFvzNVTpY&list=UUo7v7iOfsapIH0o51RWIwgw

Yes, I personally check  my own Snellen - on a regular basis.  I recommend that everyone else do it also, as well as obtain $7 test minus lenses, to also confirm their refractive state - personally

My Snellen is actually "variable", from 20/25 to 20/15.  I also wear the plus (for near) to retain that level of vision, and to confirm a SLIGHT postive state ( I can read the 20/20 line THOUGH a +1/2 diopter lens).

So yes, my refraction is stabilized at +1/2 diopter, that is essential if I am going to retain, vision on the order of 20/20 to 20/15.

In fact, long-term preserving or keeping vision at better-than  20/40, is going to require that type of long-term wearing of a plus for near.

It is very difficult for most people to understand that necessity.  But that is my judgment of this difficult situation.

Hi Otis,
So you are 20/20 but still wear plus lenses- even after your eyes stabilize?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:21:25 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
Hi Otis,
How long term are we talking about. I thought it was a couple of years most but im guessing you've been at this for longer. And also, if someone were to be below 20/60, is the plus prevention process unlikely to work for him.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
Hi Musa,

I did not know, until the research was completed, that long-term prevention, means educated comittent to wearing the plus.  The study I presented - makes that issue final.

The other issue, is that no OD has any interest in prevention, and will not even help their own child with prevention. 

I have been wearing a plus for some time, as an EXAMPLE of what is wise to do, for self-prevention.

The "optical analysis", (see my site) shows that for each 1/2 diopter you go down, you must "cut" the "plus lens " by that amount.

This makes it essential that you know this, and start prevention while you can still you a good strenth of a plus for ALL CLOSE WORK.

THIS IS NOT MEDICINE, AND PREVENTION AS I PRESENT IT - CAN NEVER BE PART OF MEDICINE.

Frankly, if a person is at 20/60, my assumption is that he will hate wearing the plus, and love the minus.  Or will think it is nuts to wear a plus, when the minus is so easy.

That is again, a matter of educated choice.

I am certain no one cares if you keep on going down.  I just tell you that you will, by -1/2 diopter per year.

It is up to  you ALONE to decide what you want to do about it.

If it were me - I would wear the plus, and exceed the 20/40 line, and continue to wear the plus though the college years.

Hi Otis,
How long term are we talking about. I thought it was a couple of years most but im guessing you've been at this for longer. And also, if someone were to be below 20/60, is the plus prevention process unlikely to work for him.

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 04:14:19 AM »
Hi Otis,
So how long have you been wearing the plus?
Regards

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 04:39:30 AM »
Subject:  How long have  you been wearing the plus and checking your Snellen and refractive state?

About three years.

Current status:

Visual Acuity: 20/20,   Refractive STATE:  +3/4 diopters.

Question:  Have I had an eye exam in those three years.

Yes, and a OD "tech", TRIED to prescribe a lens for me, but since I have previously objectively confirmed 20/20, I decline the attempted prescription.  I just do a better measurement job at home - since I have the equipment and personal resolve to do it.

After all, *me* protecting *my* distant vision is my goal.   It is not the objective of an optometrist.  Prevention is not a medical process, and a medical person simply can not help me use a plus lens on myself.  I never ask them for any help.

Most people simply can not, "figure out" why it is intelligent to begin wearing a plus in high school.  The OD will recommend it perhaps, but unless the person is strongly educated to do it  - nothing is accomplished.  At least this OD made the wise recommendation.  Will the young woman wear the plus?  I do not know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjnNM0VYM4

I stated that, with 20/50 (about self-measured, -1.25 diopters) and in high school, your refraction will go down by -1/2 diopter per year.  It is certain that it will NOT GET BETTER, if you choose to do nothing about it.

If I were wise about preserving my vision for life -- though four years in college -- I would be asking, how the hell did you come up with that prediction?

Let me add this commentary, about the fact that we create negative status - for our natural eyes - because of the long-term near work required of us.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/1-ingredient-improving-eyesight-positive-stimulus-ways-get/

One thing is certain - prevention is truly difficult - and depends on qualities of the person himself.  Prevention will never be supplied by an OD in his office.   He simply can not do it.

Hi Otis,
So how long have you been wearing the plus?
Regards
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:44:20 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »
Hi Otis,
Why after 3 years do you still need the plus even at 20/20. What if you become long sighted?
Regards

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »
Hi Musa,

I will say this - please define, "long sighted" so we understand what you mean.

You claim I have a "risk" to become, "long-sighted".  I say that is NOT THE CASE.

I am typing and reading this with NO LENS ON.  How am I "long-sighted"?  Please explain.

I use the plus to PREVENT my eyes from "going down".  It is like wearing ear-muffs to prevent deafness.  If I am working in a loud environment that creates deafness - I would be a damn fool to NOT wear ear muffs.

But then, I have 20/20 vision, and you do not.

I protect my distant vision, and you will not.

You will stay at 20/50, and I will stay at 20/20 - because I am willing to do what is necessary - and you are not.

I understand WHY it is necessary - and you do not.

I wish you all luck in what ever recovery method you choose.  I just doubt that you will succeed.

But prove me wrong.  Get a Snellen. Confirm 20/50, and measure your refractive state yourself.

Then get back to 20/20.  It is not my responsibility to do that.

Hi Otis,
Why after 3 years do you still need the plus even at 20/20. What if you become long sighted?
Regards
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:02:01 PM by OtisBrown »