Author Topic: Questions by Musa  (Read 10741 times)

Offline musafighter2

Re: Questions by Musa
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Hi Otis,
You say that you doubt I will succeed. But I am measuring my eyesight on the snellen while also using +2 lens for close work.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
Hi Musa,

Subject:  Is prevention possible for you.  I can only dream that you will make yourself successful.

I do not know you.  I do not know what you want.  I do not know what committements you can bring to the table.

But I do not doubt your intelligence.

But it is like a person on the threshold of making himself obese.  I know high IQ people who are obese.  It is not a matter of there intelligence, it is a matter of what I call, "body intelligence".

This is where you look at yourself, and decide to look at your own Snellen, objectively, and at the -1/2 diopter rate you will go down if you choose to NOT wear the plus for all close work during your future school years.

Whether, you have this type of motivation - I do not know - and will never know.

If you entering into an engineering college - I think you would understand the reasons.

But it is all YOU.  More power to you.

If you go though an electrical engineering college - you could indeed write a paper about your success. 

Hi Otis,
You say that you doubt I will succeed. But I am measuring my eyesight on the snellen while also using +2 lens for close work.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:26:43 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
Hi Otis,
If even after i stop growing (which is soon) my eyes do not return to full 20/20 vision, can I still carry on the process, even if I have stopped growing?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
Hi Musa,

I am not certain what question you are asking about. Here is the logic that spells out WHY it is necessary to continue to wear  a plus for the next six years.

The remarks an understanding of Dr. Raphaelson, (who insisted his own children wear the plus), convinced me that his approach was very wise).  See my discussion about him and what he accomplished.  (Below).

The reality is that, when kids do no close work (at all) their refractive state is slightly positive and they have excellent vision.

Only when we do this long-term close work (which today, we can not avoid) does our refraction slowly change in a negative direction.

This is NOT a "failure process", in my opinion, but in broad perspective, the natural eye responding to "long-term near" as a natural process.

The fact you want to be fully aware of, is that virtually all persons who develop a SLIGHT negative status (which for you is a self-measured -1 diopter), have vision that continues to go down by -1/2 diopter per each, for year you are in school and college. 

Thus if you do six more years in high school, college and grad school, you can expect your negative refraction to increass by -3 diopters.  This means that when you get out of Grand School, you will be "negative" by -4 diopters.

If you allow your refraction to get that low, you can not get out of it.  Wearing the plus in a wise manner, NOW, is what is required - however difficult it may be for you to persuade yourself to take on that personal responsibility. 

This is indeed a difficult choice for you to make.  It is indeed a fork on the road of your life.  Make the right choice, and you can keep your vision at better-than 20/40, and probably the range of 20/30 to 20/20 - for the next six years.

Choose to do nothing at all, and that -1/2 diopter is what will happen to your distant vision - for certain.

You do not believe me?  That is your right.

Here is a statement about these issues by Dr. Raphaelson, who realized he could only help his own children with true-prevention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQxx1p51gw&list=UUo7v7iOfsapIH0o51RWIwgw

The public, tragically, only understands the minus lens, and is indeed hostile to any wearing of a plus for prevention, while you still can read the 20/40 line.

That is what we should learn from him.

Hi Otis,
If even after i stop growing (which is soon) my eyes do not return to full 20/20 vision, can I still carry on the process, even if I have stopped growing?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:57:26 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
Hi Otis,
For the past 2 months I have been wearing the +2 lenses for about 60% of close work but NO use of minus lenses. Do you expect any sort of improvement by the end of, lets say 3 months?
Regards

P.S. Please do not take any offence from my questions no matter how critical they may seem. I respect and what you are doing and hope there are more people like you.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
Hi Musa,

Here is my commentary about an optometrist, who insisted his own children wear the plus - at the threshold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZFvzNVTpY&list=UUo7v7iOfsapIH0o51RWIwgw

Thanks for your response.  I have seen many claims - some of which I have been able to verify.

I think getting your eyes to change their refractive status - is indeed a very slow process.  There are too many people who think they must get "instant results".  I do have some suggestions.

1)  If you have no yet done so, set up a Snellen chart, at 20 feet.  (You can make a 10 foot Snellen if you like.)  Spend some time just monitoring it, to form an average judgment of the line you read 50 percent of the characters.  This is indeed your base line, since you are the only person interest in your results.

2) I accept reading the 20/30, to be very reasonable, as an early success.  If you see that type of objective improvement, then that should continue to wear the plus.  I know your friend who see you, will ask questions.  If they do ask, send them to my site, and remember THEY will be the ones to go down by that -1/2 diopter per year.

3) I provided this "general idea" to my nephew, when he was 14 years old.  I think he was about 20/40 at the time.  From my book, you know he took preventing that -1/2 diopter per year, very seriously.  Today, he is 20/20, and continues to wear the plus, if he sees, on his Snellen, that he as started down again - due to the close work he is required to do.

Otis> I appreciate your questions.  This is indeed all new to you.  It takes a long time to accept the need to wear the plus, though the school years. 

Otis> I think you have read a lot of the commentary by individuals posting here.  You must form you judgment of them, myself, and yourself.

Otis> I obviously think that, while difficult, wearing the plus for near is very wise.  If you exceed the 20/40 line, you can stop wearing the minus lens, which would be a major goal, and wise objective.

Otis> If you reach that point, then you can increase the power of the plus to +2.5, and continue wearing it.

Otis> I know that people do not "like wearing glasses", and I hate the minus lens.  But wearing a plus for near, frees your distant vision, and prevents you from becoming DEPENDENT on the minus lens - which is the reason wearing the plus is so essential.

Otis> Just keep on wearing the plus, and wait for your Snellen to slowly clear to 20/40.  It is worth it.

Hi Otis,
For the past 2 months I have been wearing the +2 lenses for about 60% of close work but NO use of minus lenses. Do you expect any sort of improvement by the end of, lets say 3 months?
Regards

P.S. Please do not take any offence from my questions no matter how critical they may seem. I respect and what you are doing and hope there are more people like you.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:12:48 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
Hi Musa,

Subject: Why self-checking a "bright Snellen" is so important.

Item: This looks like your current status.  Notice that a "dim" Snellen was used.  Please put a bright light on it.

Item:  There is no need to maintain 20/20, with a minus lens,  If it were me, and I passed the 20/40 line, objectively, I would not be wearing any minus lens.

Item: But I would be wearing a plus for any close work, that is longer than two minutes. 

Item: The "fastest" recovery, is indeed very slow.  But, avoiding the minus, in a reasonable way, is a big step in the right direction.  In this status, you will need a $7, -1.0 diopter to drive a car at night. 

Item: Please note that this man sees "varible" Snellen, that is totally normal.  This is why you must personally read a bright Snellen yourself.  No OD can do this for you.

+++++

Hi Dr. Alex,

My snellen results and centimeter readings have come in late due to my work. I have been noticing a few positive changes in my sight from the time I started almost 2 weeks now. Will explain after results. I also got reduced astigmatism glasses as advised. my previous prescription was L: Sph – 1 Cyl – 1, R: Sph -1.25 Cyl – 0.50. Current is L: Sph – 1 Cyl – 0.50, R: Sph -1.25 Cyl – 0.25 and I am able to read the 20/20 and a bit of 20/15 line outside and indoor I can see the 20/25 but 20/20 is not very clear.

Centimeter readings: R- 66cm, L- 75cm indoors lighting not so good

Snellen Results

Day 1 morning: Indoors no glasses L: 20/50, R 20/70 poor lighting Both: 20/50
Outdoor no glasses: L: 20/40, R 20/50 Both: 20/40

Day 2 : Indoors no glasses L: 20/50, R 20/70 poor lighting Both: 20/50
Outdoor no glasses: L: 20/30, R 20/40 Both: 20/30

Day 3 : Indoors no glasses L: 20/50, R 20/70 poor lighting Both: 20/50
Outdoor no glasses: L: 20/25, R 20/40 Both: 20/25

What I have discovered is that when I look at the snellen chart 3m away outdoors and blink I am able to read part of the 20/20 line but if I blink again I lose focus/clarity for a bit until I blink again and stare at the chart. If I close my eyes for 5 seconds then open them outdoors the snellen chart sometimes becomes clear and I can read the 20/15 line and below but this only lasts for 3-4 seconds then back to 20/30 -20/25. How can I maintain this effect? Is this active focus as I blink? This weekend I was able to ride my bike for the peripheral exercise and exposure to UV without glasses which I have not done in more that two years and I am enjoying the view though not yet very clear. Please advise on near focus prescription for me considering my centimeter readings as currently I don’t use glasses for near work instead I position myself such that I get access to some blur on my screen or book. Plus I am trying to get a lot of outdoor exposure.

Regards,

Simeon

+++++

Learning from others - is crucial to your success.  I hope this man stops wearing a minus lens (with due common sense).

It would be very wise for this person to begin wearing a +2.0 diopter for all close work.  Reading at 20 inches would be very clear for him at that distance.

This is Dr. Alex's site - so I do not comment on it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:54:55 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
Hi Otis,
Is it okay if i check my Snellen weekly? Not daily.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »
Hi Musa,

Yes!

The goal is for you to have the judgment that your vision is getting objectively better.  For me, the goal would be to eventually be able to read almost all the letters on the 20/40 line.  This type of improvement is indeed slow - but steady.

There are people who will be wearing the plus as you are doing it - and see no change for several months.  Then, one day, you will begin to objectively verify "jumps", where you can read most of the letters on the 20/30 and 20/25 line.  That is always the best indication that your systematic reading with the plus - is having the desired result.

Hi Otis,
Is it okay if i check my Snellen weekly? Not daily.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:58:09 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 07:41:21 AM »
Hi Otis,
Sorry i wasnt clear on your answer. So it IS okay to check it weekly?

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
Hi Otis,
How do i know whether +2 is a suitable lens for me not +1.5. Is there a test i can do to make sure im using one that i would prefer.

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
Hi Otis,
I have been in this process for 3 months now and I seem to have not made any improvements (stayed at 20/50). What does this mean?
Regards

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Hi Musa,

I am glad you made the effort.  I know that with some people, "the plus" is successful. For others, no effect, as you state it. 

Thanks for making the effort.

Hi Otis,
I have been in this process for 3 months now and I seem to have not made any improvements (stayed at 20/50). What does this mean?
Regards
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:42:53 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline musafighter2

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 06:17:14 AM »
Hi Otis,
What do I do now? I feel like I should at least continue until the New Year just in case if I do see any change. What do you think? Is this result after 3 months the answer for me to give up on the process or is there still hope for me?
Regards

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
One thing I think should be noted is that just using plus lenses for close work, in and of itself, isn't necessarily enough to stimulate improvement.  You need to active "push print" in order to start getting results (i.e. eyesight improvement).  By that, I mean you'd need to move your face as far back from the text as you can (while wearing the plus lenses), and then try and focus and make the text become as clear as possible.  If you succeed, after a few seconds, try moving back further.  If it goes out of focus, move closer, allow your eyes to focus, then repeat.

I recall when I first started this process a year and a half ago, I was just wearing plus lenses for close work, but I didn't seem to be making any improvement for the first month or so.  But then I began to actively "push print" as described above, and within just a few days, I noticed marked improvement.  Give that a try and see if it helps, if you haven't been doing it that way. 

Just wearing the plus lenses, and not really challenging your eyes to focus from as far as possible, is probably good for prevention, but insufficient for active rehab, IMHO.