Author Topic: Video and slides from my talk on myopia at the Ancestral Health Symposium  (Read 10964 times)

Offline 9yoSunshine

Re: Video and slides from my talk on myopia at the Ancestral Health Symposium
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 02:13:41 PM »
4 weeks ago my 9 y/o son was diagnosed with mild myopia, vision 20/80, optometrist prescribed him -1.75 both eyes, right eye with small astigmatism. We were told his myopia would progress by about a point each year. The optometrist's assistant also tried to push rather aggressively the overnight lenses treatment on us (for about 2K) or a pair of glasses for the cost of $512. I went to an online store and ordered two pairs of glasses instead: one -1.75 (as my son had an event at the church in two days where he had to be able to read from a teleprompter for two hours), and another pair with +2 (because I wanted to give a try to Mr. Becker's advice). For the church event, my son had to wear those -1.75 glasses, two days later we went to see an ophthalmologist for the second opinion. The ophthalmologist diagnosed him with 20/80 myopia and gave prescription for -2.00, light astigmatism in both eyes. I was disappointed - did we jump from -1.75 to -2 within 3 days? the ophthalmologist assured me there wasn't much difference between the two prescriptions...  One thing I was able to get out of him was that if my son didn't wear that prescription, it would not affect his vision neither negatively, nor positively. With that, I decided to not give any minus glasses to my son for now. We started doing print pushing every time he had to read on computer or textbook (thanks god, we homeschool, so we can avoid the necessity of wearing the prescription glasses for whiteboard/blackboard class setting).
His twin sister has 20/20 vision, no issues. The kids' previous vision check was at 4 y/o, no issues discovered at that time, both of them were still a bit farsighted (+0.75) then. They both go throw the same exposure to studying, computer/TV time. No myopia in the family on either side. Both my husband and I have 20/20, albeit I do have light astigmatism. The only difference is my son is very much into Legos while my daughter is more of an athlete and enjoys spending more time at the ice skating rink and outdoors. What is interesting though, both of them shoot arrows and guns with my husband regularly and hit distant targets sharp. So, we only realized that our son had myopia when he said he couldn't read road signs until the car was almost right next to them. When I started testing him at home with the 13ft chart he couldn't see 20/20 line at the distance of 1.5 meter, and the 20/80 line on that chart was a bit blurry to him at 13 ft, he couldn't read the lines below it at that distance.
Now, after watching this Ted Becker's presentation and doing active print pushing in +2.0 lenses for almost 3 weeks, my son can see the 20/50 line on that chart at 13 ft; the 20/40 is a bit blurry, but he can read it, too. I change the charts, so I know he can't memorize the letters. Can it be the sign that my son actually had pseudomyopia and these exercises are helping to relax his muscles? I'm hopeful, albeit my optimism is cautious. Any encouraging comments? Thank you for your advices, Todd!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:50:38 PM by 9yoSunshine »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:10 PM »
Hi 9Year -
I give "suggestions" to mature adults - at age 17.  It is very difficult to give advice to a parents or a child.  What we do know - is that  if your son starts wearing a strong minus - his refractive state will go down at a rate of -1/2 diopter per year.  Children wearing a strong plus - do not go down.  Here is the video discussion - and references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2qKhz60ZM

The plus is not a "cure".  But used with wisdom (as Todd did it), it is possible to reach the 20/40 line  - on your home Snellen - and with continued motivated plus - slowly pass the 20/40 line (the only line a young child should be required to objectively pass.)

Enjoy the video.

Otis

Offline 9yoSunshine

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »
Thank you, Otis! I am reading your "How to Avoid Nearsightedness" now.

The only time my son used the minus glasses was at that church event (Christmas pageant). He liked the way everything looked clear to him, that's true. But I talked to him after our "second opinion" visit to the ophthalmologist, we watched Todd Becker's presentation together, we decided to give the print pushing method a try and not wear those prescription minus glasses. The visits to optometrist and ophthalmologist left some bitter feelings in me. The first one ran his practice like a money mill. He literally spent about 10 minutes on us, then told me that if I had any further questions, his assistant would answer those while he had to see another patient waiting for him. Well, his assistant only wanted to sell, nothing else. And taking into consideration that this was the first case of myopia in our family on both sides, I had a lot of unanswered questions that day. After reading up on this condition and watching Todd's presentation, I was better prepared for the visit to the ophthalmologist. I was disappointed and confused to see a stronger prescription, but I was happy to hear when he confirmed that if I didn't want my son to wear those minus glasses, this would not hurt his vision. That was all I needed to hear to feel free to try Todd Becker's method. I didn't feel comfortable mentioning it to the doctor though. He was convinced that wearing any - minus or plus - would not cause any changes in vision. His idea was that my son's myopia would progress simply because his eyes will continue to grow, and no glasses would cause the condition to get better or worse.

We homeschool, so every time my son works on computer or reads anything, I have him wear plus glasses and I personally move his book or monitor about 2 inches back and forth between the areas when he can see the font clearly and not so clearly. We have taped marks on the floor for his chair and desk, we have marks on the desk to keep track of the distances when we do "print pushing". I think it's helping. Yesterday he felt comfortable reading 20/40 lines on 13ft Snellen chart. 20/20 was still too blurry though. But it's a huge improvement since we began. He also can see street and traffic signs clearer now. I hope to have confirmation of his vision improvement at his official annual eye check next year.

My main question is - looking at how fast my son moved from 20/80 to 20/40 - basically within 3 weeks of active print pushing - can this be because he has false myopia? Or is it a usual rate of improvement for this age/condition when using print pushing?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:00:17 PM by 9yoSunshine »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 06:58:05 AM »
Hi 9yo Sun,
You are in a good position - if you continue to teach your child to 1) Sit up, 2) Read through a plus lens,  3)  Keep this up for all reading, 4) Accept that passing the 20/40 line (both eyes open) is a continued success.  There are brave ODs who call ODs, "researching myopia" - fradulent.  Here is the post by Dr. Maurice Brumer.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107049349660309744322?cfem=1

If I stated this - you would not believe me.  But this is an OD with 50  years experience.

I will never say, "cure", but only "intelligently avoid".  The "background fact" - is that our eyes, "go down" at a rate of -1/2 diopter per year - for each year we spend in school.  For those who, "object" to the plus - well they must understand that fact.

No OD will tell you this!  Because it would under-cut - the basis - of their entire profession.

Enjoy,

Offline 9yoSunshine

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
Thank you, Otis! I am so glad I came across all of these resources. At least it gives me hope we have a chance to improve my son's vision instead of submitting to passive acceptance of its annual deterioration. I feel like we have plateaued now between 20/50 and 20/40, but it's been only a month now and it's still better than being between 20/100 and 20/80.

We will continue following Todd's and your recommendations. I will post our updates. Thank you!