Author Topic: Hocus Focus  (Read 8139 times)

Offline NickGrouwen

Re: Hocus Focus
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 02:23:06 AM »
Hi jansen, motivation definitely matters a lot. I had the same problem but it then I came across this exercise and every single day now my vision has been improving not semi-permanently - but permanently. Just got up from bed and my vision improvement from yesterday's sessions is still there, and so it was the day before and the day before. So motivation is a non-issue for me at this point.

Everybody seems to have different experiences when they try to focus on very distant objects. In my case, I concentrate on the smallest possible point of an object that I can. So let's say I'm looking at a letter on the Snellen chart, like F. First I focus on the entire letter for a few seconds, then I narrow that focus to a smaller part within that letter, then another smaller part within that smaller part, and I keep doing that until my concentration breaks. And when that happens I just do the same thing all over.
Don't worry if you can't seem to clear the blur. Actually when doing this exercise you might notice that at times you're actually generating extra blur. This is not a bad thing! Your eyes are hard at work during that moment and that effort also counts towards your vision improvement.. Just keep trying. What I've noticed is that you're still training your focusing ability and thus improving your vision even you can't seem to clear the blur on the object you're focusing on. You don't necessarily need to see the object clearly, that will come in time.  I believe that extra blur is simply an illusion of the eyes or brain or mind or whatever, that's really the best way I can put it, it's just an illusion, don't worry about it. The blur is simply a by-product from intensely focusing and ten minutes to half an hour or so after the session you will notice that your vision and focusing ability has noticeably improved. Beyond the blur, beyond the illusion, you're actually bringing the object into focus.
During my first session just days ago, I was focusing on the smallest row of letters on the Snellen chart and I was unsuccessful in clearing the blur and even generated extra blur (as in every session, this is normal).
 The second time LATER THAT SAME DAY I managed to, for a few seconds, see the entire row (20/5) clearly and was able to quickly read 3 letters from it. And ever since then, I get those clear flashes almost every other blink now and I can focus on that row more and more times, faster and with less effort.

I'm sorry that you've been stuck for two years now that really sucks :( my advice is to find as much spare time in your days as you can, at least an hour, the more the better, and spend it ALL on focusing on a very distant blurry object. And don't worry too much about what you have to do during focusing, It's not an extremely mechanical process. I myself just let it go and see what happens. I focus on a smaller and smaller point. Or, as dr. Bates wrote about, I imagine the object I'm looking at clear in my mind and in time it appears clear through my eyes. Or, sometimes my mind wanders...it's all good!

I know I'm getting repetitive now but lol I have never been so excited in my life. This is THE exercise to improve your vision with. It's come to a point where I might have to record my vision gains every single day now instead of every Friday.

Sorry everyone that I make my posts so long, but I once I start typing I just can't stop. I'm really trying to convey my full experience, as detailed as possible so I end up writing so much...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:29:37 AM by NickGrouwen »

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 02:32:52 AM »
Μe on active focus I believe it helps blinking less than normal.
This is another observation that I made that was maybe just some weird thing exclusive to own experience. It seems that we both do the same thing! I actually also try to blink less when focusing, at some points, I try to keep my eyes open as long as possible (making sure to blink a bunch of times afterwards). For some reason, this aids in focusing.

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
Well like I've said you need to really practice at least an hour a day for fast results. Really all I'm doing is pretty much the same thing as CapitalPrince's father:
http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,903.msg6177.html#msg6177

You can see how fast he improved his vision to 20/15!

I practice at least 2-6 hoiurs a day on average.

As for near work, I'm at the point now where near work doesn't erase the improvements anymore. Again, as long as you make sure the text you read, or really any object in your focus at any time, is at least little bit blurry, your eyes are not actually doing near work but far work because there is blur to be cleared/focusing to be done. This is what I meant in another thread by turning all near work into far work (essentially what you do when you wear a plus lens however I'm not a big fan of any glasses so I try to do all this bare-eyed).

Offline jansen

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
I applied the exercise to a store sign away in the distance today. It was a somewhat strange, but very cool experience, it was like the letter was still blurred, but the surrounding was starting to get clearer! Hopefully this exercise will help me make the next step in improvement

Offline mailliam

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 04:28:05 AM »

A routine like

focus-focus-focus-focus-blink-blink-focus-focus-focus-focus-blink-focus-focus-focus-focus...

has worked well for me. You need to focus for a while and challenge yourself without blinking, but then a soft blink or two helps clearing the picture further. I think staring & blinking work together.

Hey jim this is great. I tried this yesterday and it works like a chant for me as I say those words in my head.

Nick, what you said about being OK with extra blurriness is great. During these sessions I've been getting an autofocus-like sensation, exactly like in a camera where it first goes extra blurry and then a crisp image appears

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »
Hi jansen and mailiam, that's great to hear! I still don't know exactly 100% how to explain these visual sensations and extra blur and I was scared in the beginning that they might even be a sign that I'm doing something wrong or damaging my eyes in some way but I stuck with it anyway and after a week of doing this exercise non-stop I can safely say that I have gained more vision improvement in the past week alone ]than in the last 4 years (July 2010-mid-August 2014) of trying all sorts of different stuff.
I now notice permanently improved vision about 15-30 minutes after every practice session (the improvements haven't disappeared the next day and focusing is faster and more effortless everyday). It is normal for your vision to be a little worse and blurry when you're done with a practice session (because of the intense focusing you've been doing(, but after 15-30 minutes my vision will have re-adjusted or whatever and will be stronger than before and it lasts. This is magic.

Also keep in mind to cover your stronger eye from time to time (if you have a weaker eye like I do). Today I did 40 minutes both eyes, 10 minute break, 40 minutes weak (left) eye only, 10 minutes break and 40 minutes both eyes again.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »
I've tried to do active focus for 30' but I always stop at one cycle of 15'. I mean even if I try more than 15' I can't achieve a good result of clearing the line as I did in the first 15' and lasted a few minutes.

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »
I've tried to do active focus for 30' but I always stop at one cycle of 15'. I mean even if I try more than 15' I can't achieve a good result of clearing the line as I did in the first 15' and lasted a few minutes.
Akex, I just practice for as long as I can now. I set aside at least two hours a day in the morning and just practice without breaks now. I guess I don't really need breaks, my eyes never really hurt (at all) and breaks bore me more than practice itself. So I would recommend everyone to just practice as long as they can in one sitting.
Don't worry if you can't seem to clear the blur. This is normal. Every single day it will get easier, maybe you'll have some bad days here and there (I haven't)  but even that is normal and you are always improving your vision even you see very blurry most of the time throughout a practice sessino.
I\m at the point now where I'm probably going to need some reading glasses after all.

Offline mailliam

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »
Why do you think you need reading glasses now?

Also do you practice at night?

Offline jansen

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »
Update: I have been doing a lot of active focus with my right weaker eye recently, I've been noticing a bit of ghosting/split image like Todd mentioned in the blog, so I guess that is a good sign. I'm trying to focus more on the darker image when seeing the blur

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 03:58:20 AM »
@jimboston
I've been doing active focus for two months. It helped break my last and most difficult plateau. I do for about 15' three time a week. Even if I see about 20/20 with artificial light at night when I succeed in active focus this improvement doesn't lock in but I feel as Tom Lu described it as hyperopization and as myopia didn't come in few months I believe hyperopization wants months to lock in improvements.

I also do plus for the computer and heavier for books and +1D 2hours per day when at home (as in PVS). I also do the "rebuild your vision" exercises (accommodation rock, string beads, 3 cups, rotations, sunning, palming)...

@NickGrouwen
Thanks for the answer. A first managed active focus when I was about 20/40 so maybe I don't have much blur to dissolve now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:09:34 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline mailliam

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 04:34:15 AM »
Update: I have been doing a lot of active focus with my right weaker eye recently, I've been noticing a bit of ghosting/split image like Todd mentioned in the blog, so I guess that is a good sign. I'm trying to focus more on the darker image when seeing the blur

That's great Jansen, keep it up!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 05:32:52 AM »
Hi Alex,
Congratulations on objectively reading 20/20 on your own Snellen.  That equates to 0.0 refractive state - or emmetropia.

I do enjoy reading, "Hocus Focus", and I think that a person who makes himself successful, will always use an intelligent combination of plus-wearing and exercise.  While I can understand the objection of a person, to wearing a plus, I think that objection is a mistake.

The other aspect of your success, is you willingness to get a mild 'check' minus lens, to personally establish your own refraction.

I am convinced that all who are successful - have made an intelligent choice  - and above all else - actually read their own Snellen at home.

I do consider that any prevention is very difficult, since it take so much motivation and insight to do it.

@jimboston
I've been doing active focus for two months. It helped break my last and most difficult plateau. I do for about 15' three time a week. Even if I see about 20/20 with artificial light at night when I succeed in active focus this improvement doesn't lock in but I feel as Tom Lu described it as hyperopization and as myopia didn't come in few months I believe hyperopization wants months to lock in improvements.

I also do plus for the computer and heavier for books and +1D 2hours per day when at home (as in PVS). I also do the "rebuild your vision" exercises (accommodation rock, string beads, 3 cups, rotations)...

@NickGrouwen
Thanks for the answer. A first managed active focus when I was about 20/40 so maybe I don't have much blur to dissolve now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:47:13 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 08:11:53 AM »
@OtisBrown

In order to be more clear I can see 20/20 with artificial light only for a few minutes after prolonged far viewing (active focus).
I'm 20/25 for more than a month.

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
Why do you think you need reading glasses now?

Also do you practice at night?
Because my vision has improved! Just last week I was sitting pretty darn close to the screen and now my arms are stretched to their limit trying to reach the keyboard that I have to place on the edge of the table to be able to reach it.
No at night I sleep :D