Author Topic: Starting The Journey  (Read 2225 times)

Offline epollux

Starting The Journey
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »
Hello to everyone,

I am thinking about starting the journey to fixing my eye sight. But there are a few things that I am unsure about and I wanted to share them here and maybe get some suggestions from the community.

First, I am 44. My prescription has not changed for the last 3 years according to my latest eye test from yesterday:

Left: Sph -5.00 / Cyl -1.75 / Axis 5.0
Right: Sph -4.50 / Cyl -1.75 / Axis 165 (? not sure about this big number).

I mentioned to my optician that I might consider exercises to fix my sight. She said that this won't be working because even though the muscle will work toward it, the proteins of the eye will be preventing the eye to correct itself. I have no idea about how true/wrong this statement is and if the fact that my eye sight has not changed in 3 years means that I am "fixable" or not.

One question I have is about push reading. In order for me to read at the edge of blur I have two issues:
1. The distance between "clear" and "very blur" is tiny. I seem to always be reading more in the blur than at the edge. Is this an issue?
2. To get to the edge of blur I have some discomfort mainly because I tend to see "double" because I have to read fairly close to the reading material. Does it mean I have to train eye by eye? So always reading with a closed eye?
3. Would it help to get under corrected glasses to read more comfortably at the edge of blur?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Starting The Journey
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:00:54 AM »
I mentioned to my optician that I might consider exercises to fix my sight. She said that this won't be working because even though the muscle will work toward it, the proteins of the eye will be preventing the eye to correct itself. I have no idea about how true/wrong this statement is and if the fact that my eye sight has not changed in 3 years means that I am "fixable" or not.

Your optician may not be aware of the latest science from Rugers University showing that defocus can directly influence the elasticity and growth of scleral tissue that determines the shape of the eye.  Print out these two references for your optician to read:
http://visp.rutgers.edu/IRDT%20of%20Myopia%20Development.pdf
http://www.iovs.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=20592235

One question I have is about push reading. In order for me to read at the edge of blur I have two issues:
1. The distance between "clear" and "very blur" is tiny. I seem to always be reading more in the blur than at the edge. Is this an issue?

You are correct that the difference between D1 (clear) and D2 (blur) is tiny.  I recommend alternating back in forth between D1 and D2, continuing to push slightly into D2 so long as you don't feel eye strain.   The key is to keep pushing D2 to increase the distance over days or weeks.

2. To get to the edge of blur I have some discomfort mainly because I tend to see "double" because I have to read fairly close to the reading material. Does it mean I have to train eye by eye? So always reading with a closed eye?

Double vision is not bad -- it's actually useful! Try to intentionally focus on the darker of the two double images and "ignore" the fainter image.  With time, you'll find the darker image gets stronger and the second "ghost" fades away.  This is a sign of progress!

3. Would it help to get under corrected glasses to read more comfortably at the edge of blur?

Yes, that can work if you myopia is stronger greater than about -4D.  Take your normal distance prescription and reduce by about 2.5 diopters to get classes with a comfortable reading distance.  So if your distance correction is -6D, you would get some -3.5D lenses and use them at the computer.  Or you can buy some +2.5D lenses in the pharmacy and wear them OVER your contacts.

For distance vision, use mildly undercorrected lenses, that are about 0.5D weaker.  So if you are -6D, use -5.5D for distance.

All of the above can be ordered from zennioptical.com if your optician does not agree to work with you.

Todd

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:12:12 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline epollux

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 04:25:54 AM »
So I have started with the under corrected prescription glasses for reading and I am getting the 0.5D under corrected glasses for distance viewing.

I haven't measured if I had any improvements. I haven't been very consistent is using the viewing glasses but when I am I do get red eyes at the end of the day, specially if I wear the glasses for 4 hours looking at my computer screen. I wonder what I am doing wrong: is that because I am not adjusting the reading distance well or wearing the glasses for too long?

Offline HansK

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »
The key is to keep pushing D2 to increase the distance over days or weeks.

How can we increase D2? You say that you should work with very slight blur. If one is not capable of increasing D2, what should he do? By increasing D2, I mean that the degree of blur is the same, but you increased the distance.

Kind regards,
Hans

Offline RynEyes

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »

The key is to keep pushing D2 to increase the distance over days or weeks.

My understanding is that as the eye becomes adjusted to using the plus lens, the once perceived blur at a certain distance is eventually sharpened, thus causing the need to increase D2. Is this the ciliary muscle relearning to relax?  What is happening to allow this? The plus lens pushes the focal point further away, so is increasing D2 essentially just increasing your maximum focal distance?