Author Topic: Why office refractions miss the point and are not accurate.  (Read 763 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Why office refractions miss the point and are not accurate.
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
Subject:  Here is the refraction of a woman that seems all devoted, intense and accurate.

Item: But it fails in on one crucial point.  The woman NEVER checked her own Snellen (and at home).

The refraction given is -1.75 cyl +1, which is -1.25 spherical equivalent.  There are many people, with this prescription, who, if they were motivated to check at home, would find they could read the 20/40 to 20/30 line.  But the "patient" will never know this.  The other aspect is that the doctor will always PRESCRIBE for 20/15 and 20/13, if he can squeeze it out of his Phoropter.  (I understand his motivation, but the minus lens makes matters worse.)

[ See my next video post for a more detailed discussion of how the complex phoropter (trial lens) is -- and is always error-prone.  ]

I do not "fight" this OD, or the patient.  But, if a person truly wants to get back to reasonable vision (20/30 to 20/20 range), he will have to make these critical measurements himself - at home.

There is an intellectual blindness in optometry - they think this type of "prescription for 20/15" is perfect and causes no harm.  The reality is that it does not help, and in fact prevents recovery.  This is why I do these checks myself - and recommend them.

I never go for any exam, until I personally confirm my Snellen first.  That way, I know objectively, and do not argue with them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:39:22 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Why office refractions miss the point and are not accurate.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
Prescription MYOPIA - where the OD is MYOPIC in his understanding.

Here are some more details.  (This is why I ask a person, with a -1 diopter prescription, to have the common sense to set up and read his own Snellen.  The "astig" (Cyl.) is always excessive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_5yvePa0U0&src_vid=Vj5mhd12SWs&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_152292

The "outside" ring or dial, has the "spherical" lens.  The rest of the Phoropter, is for "astigmatic", evaluations - which, are not necessary, if your own -1 diopter clears the 20/20 line for you.  (Assuming you have about 20/50).

All your answers, "one better, two better" leads to the OD saying I am fixing your "astigmatism".  You will find endless over-prescription, bad prescriptions, un-necessary prescriptions from this distorting process.  The OD considers it a "perfect process".  The patient, has NO IDEA what is being done to his eyes.

For comparison, here is how I do it - having the independent mind to do this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrfuLuibclY&list=UUo7v7iOfsapIH0o51RWIwgw

So prevention requires a bold, intelligent approach - by making your own measurements.  It will always be a challenge.  Do you have the motivation for it?

If I need a temporary, "prescription", say of -1 diopter, I can order that myself - and I would if needed.  This is my statement of total independence of ODs. The measurements I make are NOT MEDICAL.

The OD is not going to "stop" his refraction, and tell you that wearing a  minus lens, (at 20/40) can only make matters far worse.  He figures you are not smart enough to figure that out your self.

Enjoy,
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:27:12 PM by OtisBrown »