Author Topic: Training one eye at a time  (Read 1346 times)

Offline NickGrouwen

Training one eye at a time
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:57:35 AM »
In the past I've written about patching your stronger eye to train the weaker one. I can now at this point safely say that if you want to give yourself a massive boost in your vision improvement, train each eye seperately, notwithstanding any difference in visual acuityin either eye. Forget about weaker eye/stronger eye. I believe that training any one eye at a time will improve vision faster than training both eyes at the same time.

I have found in the past week that training only one eye at a time for an extended period of time has improved my overall vision mcuh faster than when I practiced with both eyes at the same time.

Here is a previous thread where I talked about patching your weaker eye, please read it to get the overall picture and click the link that is contained in the post:
http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php?topic=1015.0

In a nutshell, during my daily 1 to 2 hour long practice sessions, I train only one eye for a few days (up to a week), by patching the other. I focus on a small, distant, blurry object, trying to see it clear, always trying tp keep my eyes open for as long as possible before I really really have to blink. (Read my Trataka thread for more info on this).
And then at the end of your practice session, do a little, maybe up to 10 minutes of training both eyes just to make sure the other eye gets a little training as well. But the idea is that focusing on training with one eye will give you faster and more discernible results than when training both eyes.
It is normal for your vision to get blurry while practicing - after the session your eyes will start relaxing, re-adjusting and incorporating your improved vision that you have gained from the practice session.

This ccould possibly be very helpful especially for people who have reached a plateau in their visoin improvement journey. Please do try it out whether you're new to this or whether you'r e already years into improving your vision and are stuck a at a plateau. Train one eye at a time for a week or so and see how fast your overall vision improves. I know mine did.

My own vision improvement journey is going extremely well. Every week or so my approach is getting more concentrated. I have gone from print pulling to Hocus Focus to Trataka to training one eye at a time, incorporating elements of all these previous approaches into one powerful extreme concentrated vision improvement method.

Offline gekonus

Re: Training one eye at a time
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
Well, I tried that but it felt really weird. Maybe its because the difference in my eyes is weak (0.25D) , but when I patched the stronger eye (the right one) for 20-30mins, the left eye would see things a bit darker while the right brighter. and plus it felt really different and not really comfortable

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »
Hi gekonus, yes I actually know exactly what you are describing. It was uncomfortable for me in the beginning as well, for different reasons:
- I hated using an eye patch as I found them very inconvenient and uncomfortable and they would always wear out very quickly. Thus I substituted the patch with a pair of sunglasses with the lenses removed and a sock draped and secured over one side of the frame, so that one eye is completely covered and cannot see. It is very convenient (easy to put on and take off), comfortable (at least more than the patch) and I love it.
- It is very very normal for vision in the un-patched eye to be a little darker and duller than the patched eye when you remove the patch and compare vision in each eye seperately. I am not a very scientific person so maybe someone else can explain this (probably has something to do with the other eye being in complete darkness while the un-patched eye is taking in light and something with the pupil dilating) but all I know is that it is normal and the darkness and dullness is just a temporary thing that happens during the practice session and goes away after a while. Just persist.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:29:48 PM by NickGrouwen »

Offline warnbd

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »
Hi NickG,

I have been reading your various threads/posts and your methods sound interesting.  However, the bottom line is the results.  Can you provide any quantification and timeline of measured progress (Snellen, diopters, etc.) so that the forum can compare your rate of progress with other testimonials?

thanks,  warnbd

(with the conventional Todd B. method, I have been getting 1/4 diopter change per month)

Offline jimboston

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:49:02 AM »
^ I second warnbd. Have you managed to lock in improvements and what is the rate of improvement?