Author Topic: Is, "just prevention at 20/40" a scam, or is it based on scientific truth?  (Read 811 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Subject: Is the prescription of a strong minus, when you have objectively confirmed that you have 20/30, a scam?

Here Don Rehm reviews this difficult issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV0lmFCeCMw

The minus lens can cause nearsightedness in the normal eye.  Why not volunteer this
information to a person who is at 20/30, and could possibly get out of it?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:14:35 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Is, "just prevention at 20/40" a scam, or is it based on scientific truth?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »
Don Rehm, wants doctors to conduct a "pure plus prevention" study - because it would be wise for a person at 20/40, and -1 diopter, to be PRESCRIBED plus prevention.

But he FORGETS.  The optometrists is totally convinced that recovery from 20/40 is totally impossible.  When an OD will not even help his OWN CHILDREN, he is totally brain-washed, by his "education".   

So who is right?  Are you going to "fall through the cracks", between the desire for plus prevention, and an OD who can not even help his own children?

HINT:  WHAT TO ASK FOR - IN AN OPTOMETRIST:

"What do you do to help your own children to avoid becoming myopic".

If the answer is effectively, NOTHING, then you should find another optometrist.

++++++

Dr. Nicholas Despotidis, Optometrist

Author: My Children Are Nearsighted Too

Dr. Despotidis and his wife Teresa are the parents of two sons, Nicholas and Gregory. It was his children’s need for eyeglasses at very young ages that sparked his passion for corneal reshaping and drove him to become a pioneer in its use among children and young adults. “Dr. D” (as his patients fondly refer to him) has been practicing optometry for over 20 years and strives to bring a heightened level of compassion to every individual in his care.

++++++

We can get into many "arguments" about the need for plus-prevention (at 20/40). But one thing is dead certain.  No optometrist will ever
help you with this critical subject.

When I measure my own refractive STATE, I do it to AVOID these ODs who do not care enough - to help their own children.

Do not be deluded in thinking that an OD has ANY interest in prevention - for you.   Do not argue with such a person.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:12:48 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Is, "just prevention at 20/40" a scam, or is it based on scientific truth?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »
We can argue about this as much as you like.  But what is the real nature of independent knowledge, wisdom and the recommendation of an an optical doctor?

I personally do not believe that anyone who is medical can help you or me.

http://myopiafree.i-see.org/prent.txt

Dr. Prentice is correct. The "public" will always reject the plus, at 20/40, and -1 diopter.

After that - the child's eyes "go down" at a rate of -1/2 diopter per year.  A child could not understand this issue.

This is a matter of personal, long-term educated choice, that requires long-term motivation to make 'just prevention"  successful.

Do not blame the OD - he has no interest.  He has no control over you.  So he ignores the problem.

Ultimately, you have to figure out whether prevention (at 20/40) is a scam, or a matter of scientific truth telling.  One thing is certain - no OD will help.

SCIENCE, FACTS, AND PUBLIC RESPONSE

"People believe and do whatever they want to do, regardless of the facts presented to them."  -- Thomas Quackenbush (Vision Research)

SO - WAS DR. PRENTICE A SCAM - IN SUGGESTING THAT PREVENTION IS POSSIBLE? When you can sill read the 20/40 line?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:13:43 AM by OtisBrown »