Author Topic: Is it logical  (Read 5042 times)

Offline gekonus

Re: Is it logical
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »
If you could please explain what is "Tonic accommodation"? I didnt understand anything haha

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
Hi Gekonus,

1) As long as you are looking at objects that have "detectable blur", the retina can detect this, and adjust the refractive power of the lens, to achieve and maintain sharp focus.  (This is a very sophisticated feed-back mechanism - which they do not teach, nor do they understand in optometry school.  With some work, you can understand it - far better than an OD - who has no interest in the discussion.)

2) When micro-blur (at the surface of the retina) can no longer be detected, the lens (accommodation system) is sent to an intermediate "state" somewhere close to the "distance" position.  This is typically -1 diopter less than your most distant setting.  This is the status of the eye in total darkness, or in a "blank field.

3) This is why I suggest that you need self-measured positive status, so your "blank field" status will be exactly zero.  This means that your night vision will be very sharp indeed.

Here is some information that shows how "stress" can create negative status for the natural eye.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/preventing-myopia-fix-accommodative-error/

It always seems clear to me that (at the threshold) the use of a plus (for near) would greatly reduce the "stress" of  the massive amount of close work we are required to do in our modern society.

Although, only a wise person could "get the idea" of rejecting the minus lens (with its obvious solution), and then intentionally wearing the plus for all close work.  This can work - if you can still read the 20/40 line.

If you could please explain what is "Tonic accommodation"? I didnt understand anything haha
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:04:57 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline gekonus

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 11:01:05 PM »
Oh so basically Tonic Accommodation is a bad thing, I think I get it now. But still, you're usually looking at objects, and not at a whole "nothing"

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »
Hi Gekonous,

Tonic accommodation, or blank-field accommodation is neither good nor bad.  But you can never measure it.  But what matters is that you measure your own visual acuity, yourself, on your own Snellen.

I think the other mistake a large number of people make, is to believe that it is fast, easy and quick.  I would have all people who want prevention (at 20/40) to read what Todd Becker had to say about long-term wearing of a plus.  (See over-prescription and Todd here.)

http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,1069.0.html

Clearly it does take a long time to 1) Get to 20/40 (to pass the DMV, as an indicator of initial success), but then 2) To continue to wear the plus (and avoid the minus) as long as you are in a "reading" or school environment.

It is certain that no one (optometrist) can do anything for you.  So you  must have the long-term resolve to do it yourself.  Be prepared for this long-term commitment.  That is the most difficult part of prevention, under your control.

Oh so basically Tonic Accommodation is a bad thing, I think I get it now. But still, you're usually looking at objects, and not at a whole "nothing"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:26:10 AM by OtisBrown »