Author Topic: a disappointment  (Read 2813 times)

Offline gekonus

a disappointment
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:50:17 AM »
Well I tried, but failed the DMV test today. ( I was tired but still)

Couldnt see the 20/40 lines, I saw numbers but couldnt recognize which is what. When he asked what my Diopter is, I told him its  L -1D   R -0.75  he didnt understand how I didnt pass the test.

Self snellen checking at home with bright daylight I can read 20/40 binocular vision, and sometimes a bit more. But in his office I bet I was 20/50 binocular vision.

At least I tried.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: a disappointment
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:56:28 AM »
Hi Gekonous,

I always appreciate people who establish their visual acuity by home checking.  Rome was not built in a day, and getting out of it is a very slow process.

The purpose of asking a person to check his own vision is to establish a reasonable basis to

1) Avoid wearing a minus lens - most of the time. 

2) To make the person aware that long-term wearing of a plus, for all close work, is required. 

3) To obtain your own minus lens from Zennioptical for $9, so you have better and more complete control over the recovery process.

In reading this site, and your own research, I basically agree that a combination of exercise, and long-term wearing of a plus 2, can have the desired effect.  But it takes real resolve to do it.  Further, it will take about six to nine months of consistent plus wearing to begin to substantially exceed the 20/40 line.

There is nothing easy or quick about this.  It is indeed like a long-term diet, and depends completely on a person's understanding of these issues.  Perhaps this statement by Dr. Alex will hep.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/alex-unlock-one-diopter-margin-vision/

No one can prescribe this.  You have to do it all on your own.

Well I tried, but failed the DMV test today. ( I was tired but still)

Couldnt see the 20/40 lines, I saw numbers but couldnt recognize which is what. When he asked what my Diopter is, I told him its  L -1D   R -0.75  he didnt understand how I didnt pass the test.

Self snellen checking at home with bright daylight I can read 20/40 binocular vision, and sometimes a bit more. But in his office I bet I was 20/50 binocular vision.

At least I tried.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:37:42 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »

At least I tried.

This isn't surprising to me.  Visibility in bright daylight tends to be significantly better than vision in more typical indoor lighting conditions.  With bright daylight, I can read 20/20 or maybe even 20/15, but with poorer indoor light I might only read 20/30 or even 20/40.  Don't get discouraged -- just keep on working on it and you'll get there! 

Offline gekonus

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:19:33 AM »
Lol it seems as if I have an issue in my brain -_-. Im checking my snellen on bright daylight, and with each eye, I see pretty bad - 20/40 or a bit less on my right eye, and 20/50- 20/60 on my left eye. The vision is also kinda doubled in the left eye, and on the right eye , it looks like theres a white stripe in the middle of the letters, and it really ruins the acuity. Whats even more annoying is that when I use my glasses - -1D and -0.75D I see about 20/15 with EACH EYE SEPERATELY and with no doubled vision, or weird ghosting/middle stripes.

Doesnt make sense, it seems as without glasses I have really weird eye conditions, but a few quarters of diopters fix ALL of the issues. Thats why the tester at the DMV test said that he didnt understand how could I not pass the test with only -1D and -0.75D. I definately have worse vision than others with the same diopters as me.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:17:48 AM »
Hi Gek,

It is  interesting to me that a simple minus lens cures all your problems - ghosting, double vision,  poor sight in  so many ways.

My great sympathy is with the OD, who hold up the minus and solves all your problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aqg6NH_kk&list=UUo7v7iOfsapIH0o51RWIwgw

But I gave up on this issue - a long time ago.  Getting out of it is a very slow process.

In my opinion, the effects your are seeing, is not due to your bain, they are all part and parcel of the fact that you are slightly nearsighted.

So how do you get a change of about +3/4 diopters in three months?

Lol it seems as if I have an issue in my brain -_-. Im checking my snellen on bright daylight, and with each eye, I see pretty bad - 20/40 or a bit less on my right eye, and 20/50- 20/60 on my left eye. The vision is also kinda doubled in the left eye, and on the right eye , it looks like theres a white stripe in the middle of the letters, and it really ruins the acuity. Whats even more annoying is that when I use my glasses - -1D and -0.75D I see about 20/15 with EACH EYE SEPERATELY and with no doubled vision, or weird ghosting/middle stripes.

Doesnt make sense, it seems as without glasses I have really weird eye conditions, but a few quarters of diopters fix ALL of the issues. Thats why the tester at the DMV test said that he didnt understand how could I not pass the test with only -1D and -0.75D. I definately have worse vision than others with the same diopters as me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:50:56 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline gekonus

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
Im wearing the plus for almost all close up work, yeah, theres a long long way to cure this shitty myopia.. I just hope that it'll fix the weird eye problems that I got

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:26 AM »
Hi Gek,

You have my sympathy. This is truly difficult, and, in my opinion, only long-term wearing of a plus and SLOWLY have the desired effect.

I went though this with my nephew (at age 14). What he said (at probably 20/30) was that he started wearing the plus seriously, when he understood the plight of the Eskimo children.  That is how he got to motivation he needed.  Even today, he wears the plus (for near), because of the knowledge that:

1) No OD can help him - he must help himself.
2) He must always pass the DMV requirement.
3) He is now 45 years old. 
4) I am convinced he was successful, against the KNOWN RATE at which your eyes "go down", if you do not wear the plus - for the long term.

I know that most people will "choke" when you suggest that long-term plus wearing is necessary.

But that is indeed the problem for the "average person".  You get the classic (and ignorant) response, "... you mean I must wear glasses  to avoid wearing glasses"?

Or, even worse,  I do not see why I must wear a lens for near, because my near vision is good.  My problem is "out there", and the minus lens fixes that problem.

I guess it just take a "learned intelligence" and motivation, to realize that the problem, "out there" develops" because our our "stress" close work, CREATING THE problem, "out there".

This is why a OD in his office - will never begin a discussion of these issues. I regret that truth - but there is nothing I can do about it.

Im wearing the plus for almost all close up work, yeah, theres a long long way to cure this shitty myopia.. I just hope that it'll fix the weird eye problems that I got

Offline gekonus

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:30 AM »
Yes. Its just weird how people eyes are so different.. As with a mild myopia, I have so many weird eye conditions that I bet other people dont have.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Hey gekonus

What's the lowest powered minus lens you feel comfortable with? I would suggest trying a -0.5d/-0.25 for distance correction and perhaps at a +1.25d add using a bifocal or progressive keeping all your work beyond 50-60cm.

The double vision ghosting, weird vision problems you posted are due to what I think is axial myopia. So as you blink you are temporarily changing the shape of your eyes in unusual ways.