Author Topic: Questions by Daniel M.  (Read 1915 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Questions by Daniel M.
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:28:05 PM »
Otis>  I get asked the same questions on my video like this one:

Daniel>  And are you 100% sure that there are no harmful effects with the plus for people who are nearsighted?

I have answered that question many times.  I can say, yes, the plus is safe, and the minus lens just make matters worse, and never solves any problem - but will Daniel believe me??

Here are some more of his sincere questions - for our review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tep3i3Z6-mc

I invited Daniel to post here - for a full discussion of all these issues. 

He watched Todd's video, so he knows that some people are successful.  But it does take strong determination.

I believe that any one who is serious must understand that the plus is safe, and the minus is truly un-safe.

If you want a 100 percent safe life - then you will lack the boldness and insight to truly wear the plus with the discipline required.

For the reason, no one who is an optometrist will ever even discuss any aspects of this difficult situation with you.

But I will address this question.  "... Have children worn the plus for five years, and what were the results..."?

People who DEMAND absolute perfection, before they will even CONSIDER wearing the plus - will NEVER wear the plus.

But, at 20/50, and -1 diopter, they will only go down at -1/2 diopter per year - though college.  When they "drift" though 20/70, which is certain, the result will become permanent.

Tragic, but the truth of it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:57:20 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline gekonus

Re: Questions by Daniel M.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:22:36 AM »
The plus is not harmful, thats for sure. its just a really long journey to improve with it.

Offline HansK

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
Hi jigsaw,

I think the main key is to relax accommodation, that means keeping the eye in an open environment. The way how you do that is your choice.

When you do close work, most myopes must use a (mild) plus. If you are seriously myopic, you can use a reduced minus prescription.
As Mr. Otis said, it is possible to reverse myopia from about 20/70. Worse than that is very very hard to achieve.

If you are not worse than 20/70, you have to use a plus for close work; a reduced prescription will not help.

Kind regards,
Hans
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:29:05 AM by HansK »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
Hi Jigsaw,

FIRST - Congratulations in going from 20/250 (about -3 diopters -- legal blindness), to 20/70.  That is amazing.  I restrict myself to trying to "reach" a person while he can still function with no minus lens on his face - most of the time.  The minus is like a drug - in that you fall in love with that impressive sharpness.

SECOND:  My goal was to help my blood-relatives understand the concept of prevention - before they started wearing a minus lens.  That meant that they would understand that they WOULD go down to -3 diopters, if they rejected wearing the plus for near.  The habit of most people is to refuse to take the problem seriously - when they could (with great resolve and persistence) bring it under *their* control.

THIRD:  I try to keep the concept of the plus as simple as possible - so I do not use the term, exercise.   You just have to remind yourself to always have a plus on to read - and objectively read your Snellen and always pass the required 20/40 line.  (I also prefer self checking of your refractive state yourself - for complete knowledge.

Thanks for your commentary.

There's way too much emphasis on the plus, IMO.  The plus is useful only for those with low myopia or people who want to prevent myopia.  Otherwise, a reduced minus prescription is the way to go towards reversing myopia (with eventual use of the plus when their myopia improves). 

As for whether it's harmful, it's not harmful for the intended purpose of using during close work.  I'm not sure though anyone has made any claims regarding the safety of using plus lenses at a distance.  That is not something that is normally recommended, but some myopes have claimed to do that as part of their recovery program.  Safe or not, in that case, who knows.  I'd personally like to get an answer on that since I sometimes put on plus lenses for distance for relaxation.  I use only for a short time though.  I'm presently 20/70 naked eye. and I've used pluses for relaxation since 20/250.

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
There's way too much emphasis on the plus, IMO.  The plus is useful only for those with low myopia or people who want to prevent myopia.  Otherwise, a reduced minus prescription is the way to go towards reversing myopia (with eventual use of the plus when their myopia improves). 

As for whether it's harmful, it's not harmful for the intended purpose of using during close work.  I'm not sure though anyone has made any claims regarding the safety of using plus lenses at a distance.  That is not something that is normally recommended, but some myopes have claimed to do that as part of their recovery program.  Safe or not, in that case, who knows.  I'd personally like to get an answer on that since I sometimes put on plus lenses for distance for relaxation.  I use only for a short time though.  I'm presently 20/70 naked eye. and I've used pluses for relaxation since 20/250.

I'd say the only thing not safe about using plus lenses at a distance is when they cause you to not see that big truck headed your way as you cross the street.   ;)  But really, if your vision is near 20/20, use of a weak plus lens for distance viewing might provide some additional assistance in the form of increased myopic defocus. 

Also, if your vision is already 20/70 or so, you definitely need a plus lens for reading.  When I was at 20/70, I could easily read (and not even too close) with no glasses. 

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »

To give you a little background on my question, I remember when Steven was posting about wearing +6 or +8 lenses while walking around in a park.  At the time, there were a few raised eyebrows and some caution about how that could not be good for the retina?  or some other part of the eye.  I've never gone to that extreme, but I do wonder if there is any downside to a 20/70 person wearing a +2 for distance, for short periods of time.  That's what I'm using now just for s few minutes at a time, typically before going to bed.  Prior to that, I was using a +1.25 lens for the same thing.  In both cases, my eyes feel more relaxed after a few minutes of wear. I'll continue to do this unless someone advises otherwise.

Yes, I remember Steven mentioning that.  I agree it sounds a bit extreme, although from what I've read, it's unlikely to do him any outright harm (unless he tripped over some rocks or something ;).  But your protocol sounds more reasonable.  Particularly indoors, where your field of vision is likely to be relatively close (i.e. probably within 10 feet or so), I'd imagine some weak-to-moderate plus lenses likely would help reduce accommodative strain.  I'd say keep on keepin' on.