Author Topic: My Progress to 20/20  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Zalo

My Progress to 20/20
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Zalo. I'm 20 years old, and I've been trying the hormetism method to see 20/20--I'm nearsighted--since May of 2014. I started at -2.75 in both eyes, and I first started training using my bare eyes, then +1 reading glasses and now +1.5 reading glasses. Unfortunately, I need to wear my -2.5 glasses to see the board in my college classes hours at a time, so my progress is stagnated often.

I also haven't recorded my progress well, and although I feel like my vision range has increased, I do not objectively know if it has, or by how much. I tried using this online exam today to find out my progress: http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html. I can see 20/60 and 20/40 well enough to make out the letters, but the letters are still blurry. 20/30 is just a big blurr.

------------------------------------

I want to try my best to increase my vision range to at least 20/30 in the next three months. I'd like to know your advice for how to plan my training effectively. So far, I've simply been text pushing while wearing my +1.5 reading glasses for as long as possible when I'm using the computer or reading a book. The big issue is having to wear my -2.5 prescription glasses to see in the board in class--this hinders my progress unfortunately.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your replies,
Zalo
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:52:41 AM by Zalo »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: My Progress to 20/20
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »
Hi Zalo,

I would suggest a reasonable goal, "progress to objective 20/40".

No one can give you perfect advice.  I try to get to a person who can still read the 20/40 line, and who does not have a prescription of over about -1.25 diopters.  We know that highly motivated engineers, like Todd Becker, slowly cleared the Snellen - to go pass the required DMV line.  But each person is indeed different, so one person might make himself successful, while the next person sees no results at all.

I would ENCOURAGE others reading this - to post there commentary.  There are a lot of excellent ideas on the forum.

The fact that you can still  read though a +1.5 diopter, suggests or implies that the -2.75 diopter lens is probably excessive by about -1 diopter. ODs feel you demand 20/15 to 20/10 vision - so you get this extra -1 diopter.  It is very difficult to "negotiate" a reasonable (reduced) lens, so I just order some "test lenses" and find a minus that just-clears the 20/20 line.  Since I do this myself - I save a great deal of money.

I found a low-cost way to order these lenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbpH1_rBN_0&list=UUo7v7iOfsapIH0o51RWIwgw

This is obviously simplified - to show how easy it is to do it.  Just go though it a few times.

I would order a -0.5, and a -1.5, for your own current testing.  (Just remove the lens from the frame - and hold it up to view your Snellen though the lens.  I suspect a -1.5 will give you close-to 20/20.  This will be good enough for school board work.  The fact that you can read at 12 inches though a +2, suggests that your actual refractive state, is more like -1.5 diopters.  This is why I would check myself with that -1.5 diotpers - as a starting point.

Reversing -2.5 diopters indeed takes a long time - on that we all agree.  I know its "blurry" with no minus on, but you might try keeping the minus off your face, At home, or when you do not require "sharp" distant vision.

By doing this, you might be able to get to "consistent" 20/40 on your brightly lit Snellen.  But no one can guarantee results. 

Snellen:  As long as you actually read the letter correctly - it is OK that it is blurry. That is just normal.  What you eventually must achieve, is to begin reading some of the 20/30 line.

Hi all,

My name is Zalo. I'm 20 years old, and I've been trying the hormetism method to see 20/20--I'm nearsighted--since May of 2014. I started at -2.75 in both eyes, and I first started training using my bare eyes, then +1 reading glasses and now +1.5 reading glasses. Unfortunately, I need to wear my -2.5 glasses to see the board in my college classes hours at a time, so my progress is stagnated often.

I also haven't recorded my progress well, and although I feel like my vision range has increased, I do not objectively know if it has, or by how much. I tried using this online exam today to find out my progress: http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html. I can see 20/60 and 20/40 well enough to make out the letters, but the letters are still blurry. 20/30 is just a big blurr.

------------------------------------

I want to try my best to increase my vision range to at least 20/30 in the next three months. I'd like to know your advice for how to plan my training effectively. So far, I've simply been text pushing while wearing my +1.5 reading glasses for as long as possible when I'm using the computer or reading a book. The big issue is having to wear my -2.5 prescription glasses to see in the board in class--this hinders my progress unfortunately.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your replies,
Zalo
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:55:39 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline Zalo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
Thank you for the reply. My reading glasses are actually +2 diopters and +1.25 diopters, instead of +1.5 and +1. Sorry if that might've caused confusion. I can read a full-brightness computer screen about 1 foot away before the letters get blurry using the +2 diopters.

With this new information, would you still recommend -1.5 diopter lens? If not, which reduced lense range would you suggest for me to try?

-------------------------------

I'll try to use the website you linked to. I'm guessing I should buy multiple negative glasses and use these when I absolutely need to see sharply? (Instead of my overkill -2.5 diopter lenses)

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
Hi Zalo,

Let me give you this discussion, about why I think you MIGHT be over-prescribed.  Let me 'round up" to -3 diopters, for your prescription.

What that implies is that you can not see clearly beyond 13 inches.  (40 / 13  = - 3 diopters).  If that were true, you could not see anything though a +2 diotper lens.  But the fact that you can read though a +2 diopter, suggests (in a rough way), that your refraction is calculated this way:  -3 diopters +2 diopters = -1 diopter.  I know your refraction is NOT -1 diopter, but I do suspect that a -2 or -1.5 diotper would give you close-to 20/20, on a Snellen. The DMV requires 20/40 (both eyes open).  That is why I obtain my own lenses to do my own checking.

Does this make sense to you?

I also agree that "recovery" is indeed slow.  There is no "rapid method" nor easy solutions any more.  But the fact that you can read some of the letters on the 20/40 line, suggests you are more like -1.5 diopters.  But who knows - unless you check?

Thank you for the reply. My reading glasses are actually +2 diopters and +1.25 diopters, instead of +1.5 and +1. Sorry if that might've caused confusion. I can read a full-brightness computer screen about 1 foot away before the letters get blurry using the +2 diopters.

With this new information, would you still recommend -1.5 diopter lens? If not, which reduced lense range would you suggest for me to try?

-------------------------------

I'll try to use the website you linked to. I'm guessing I should buy multiple negative glasses and use these when I absolutely need to see sharply? (Instead of my overkill -2.5 diopter lenses)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:30:26 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline Zalo

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
Hi Otis!

I spent the day watching the 38 videos you have posted on YouTube, printing and hanging a 10 foot Snellen Chart in my dorm (checked for scale via IVAC), and purchasing a pair of -1.5 diopter glasses from Zenni Optical.

The 10 Foot Snellen Chart is lit indirectly by a light on the center of the roof of my dorm room, or by a focused light from my LED bicycle head light. When I tried reading the chart a few minutes ago from the 10 foot mark using indirect lighting, I was able to read all of the blurry 20/30 letters from 10 feet away (20/60 since I was standing 10 feet away, instead of 20 feet away), and some of the even more blurry 20/20 letters (20/40 since I was standing 10 feet away, instead of 20 feet).

I'm usually extremely busy with my coursework, but I wanted to set the stage today to make Vision training a more passive activity in my life. My vision improvement strategy for now is to simply read in the "blur range" using my +2 diopter lenses for as much and as long as I can daily, and using my newly purchased -1.5 diopter lenses when I need to see things on the board of my classes (hopefully as I improve I can simply use my naked eyes to see the board). When I'm not in class or at home  I usually either don't wear any lenses or wear the plus lenses.

I would like to see results though, so my efforts feel validated. Just to make sure I understand the text pushing technique, all I have to do is:

1. Find text to read
2. push text away until it's too blurry to read (use + reading glasses if needed)
3. pull text closer until it's blurry but readable
4. read at this blurry-but-readable distance for as long as possible, taking breaks when needed
5. Keep doing this every day, increasing the diopter+ as my myopia becomes less severe

--------------------------------

Thanks again for all the help!
Zalo
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:21:38 PM by Zalo »