Author Topic: Optometrist - "What you are doing - is NEVER going to work.  (Read 2411 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Optometrist - "What you are doing - is NEVER going to work.
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:49:10 AM »
Subject:  If you wish to work with an OD, I think it is impossible to accomplish prevention.

Item: This is the "line in the sand" that I will not cross.

Item: If you "involve" an OD - you will not be successful.

It is foolish to ask a man for help -- when he will not take the smallest step to help his own child with prevention.  I would not ordinarily recommend doing "prevention yourself" -- except that there is no other way - and the OD is a waste of money and time.  I do not consider self-protection, by making my own "optometry" measurements on myself - to be medical.

There is the necessity that a person have some idea of measuring his own refractive STATE -  himself.  I use the 20/20 line and a plus/minus lens to have the person make this measurements.   I do it because the OD says that any prevention (at 20/40) is totally IMPOSSIBLE. 

If you do not do this yourself - you get  a bizzare question  - with all due respect.

CAN I BE BOTH HYPEROPIC AND MYOPIC AT THE SAME TIME?

++++

Hi Todd,
Thanks for your reply.
I am sixteen. I have made sure to do some near work with out plus lenses.
I had an eye test this morning and my eyes have not improved at all, and the Optometrist basically said that what I am doing is never going to work. Although disheartening, I will still continue to do these exercises.

How long until I should expect some progress?

Thanks, Accipio

++++

Accipio,

You say your eyes “have not improved”, but you don’t state what your Snellen scores or diopter measurements were before and after you started print pushing. Are you still at -2/-2.25? Also, I would like to know more about exactly what “exercises” you are doing. What plus lenses are you using? Are you print pushing at the edge of blur? For how long each day? Are you distance gazing? I need more details. You also said you were hyperopic and myopic at the same time. I’m not sure what you mean, unless you have presbyopia, which is uncommon if you are only 16.

You need to trust your own measurements. Print out a Snellen eye chart, hang it on the wall and record your progress each week. Have you been recording this information? Let me know what your weekly progress has been.

You say you have done “some near work”, but I don’t know what that means. Do you mean print pushing? Please provide more details. Without knowing more about your routine and frequency of print pushing, it’s hard to provide any suggestions.

Todd

+++++

To answer the posed question:  Can my refractive STATE be both positive and negative AT THE SAME TIME??

If you are measuring your own refractive state, with your own Snellen and test lenses - the answer should be obvious.

Using the 20/20 line as reference, your refractive state will be either positive or negative.

It can't be both -- at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:36:43 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline gekonus

Re: Optometrist - "What you are doing - is NEVER going to work.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »
The only drawback is that improving is a very very long process, therefore people dont wanna invest time in this, they prefer the quick fix. And we're talking about vision improvement - something that is considered "Magical" unlike going to the gym and getting muscles which is "full proof of results".

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »
Hi Gekonus,

In fact, I agree with this optometrist.  "Plus prevention, or avoidance, is NEVER going to work -- as long as this optometrist is involved."

Plus-prevention is not medicine, and so his statement is true.

That, now is his absolute.  There is no sense in begging for help from an optometrist.

If you are still at 20/40, and self-measured -1 to -2 diopters, you must understand that issue perfectly - and do prevention all by yourself.

I do not argue with them, because they tout a theory that has long ago been dis-proven.  A bad theory - leads to truly bad practice.

The only drawback is that improving is a very very long process, therefore people dont wanna invest time in this, they prefer the quick fix. And we're talking about vision improvement - something that is considered "Magical" unlike going to the gym and getting muscles which is "full proof of results".

Offline gekonus

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
Haha I like how you say " when we are at 20/40" , when really there are barerly anybody here who's 20/40 in the beginning.. We are all 20/50 to 20/100 mostly, so getting to 20/40 is very tough

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »
Hi Gekonus,

I agree.  Further, most of us were over-prescribed, when we were at 20/40, as this child is over prescribed.

But then, no optometrist will ever "volunteer" the critical information you need, to help you with true-prevention at 20/40 when recovery is possible. 

The minus does un-told damage to those who wear it.

What we NEED, is an honest education, that empowers us to take control of our lives, when true prevention is possible.

In today's world, we never get that type of respect.  Perhaps on this site - we will.

I bear no "ill will", against any OD.  But it is just that they can not help me, and they keep on telling me that even the slightest "negative state", can never be prevented.

I just want to be told the truth, and it has become obviously necessary, that I teach myself optometry, so I can avoid the minus, and always wear the plus, and always exceed the 20/40 line.

At least Todd did that much.  I just say that science and fact support his objective change in refractive state.

Haha I like how you say " when we are at 20/40" , when really there are barerly anybody here who's 20/40 in the beginning.. We are all 20/50 to 20/100 mostly, so getting to 20/40 is very tough
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:25:15 AM by OtisBrown »