Author Topic: Active focuse - am I doing it correctly?  (Read 3928 times)

Offline HansK

Active focuse - am I doing it correctly?
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:26:00 AM »
Hey all,

Todd emphasizes active focuse to reverse myopia.

I read in D1 (edge of focus, clear image) and then push it just a little bit until a slight amount of blur (D2) is distinguishable.

What should I do then? Just reading and waiting my eyes to clear the blur? When I read passively (I do not "force"/care about clearing up), I do not experience any benefit for improving. It really relaxes my eyes, but I am not really sure if that kind of reading will help.

What I do currently is: I stare for about 10 seconds or so (to clear the image) and then I blink. I experience that it clears up, but sometimes I get double-pictures.
I mean the text is in focus, but I see some "halos" which disappear and come again. It is as if a camera tries to focus.

Sometimes, the picture is (D2) in focus without the halos, but when I blink, the slight blur comes back.

When trying to focus, it sometimes feel like my pupils change (as if it is bright). Is that normal?

Am I pushing too hard? I make sure that I push just a little bit - like your finger from your nose SLOWLY back to "infinity" until I see a blur. Objects I use are for example my smartphone where you can see the blur effectively or my laptop.

So I ask those who had been successful: Can you explain in detail what you do and what you experience?

Kind regards,
Hans
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:28:08 AM by HansK »

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Active focuse - am I doing it correctly?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
Hi Todd,

nice to see you again posting here!

I have questions concerning active focus (http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,1075.0.html).

Can you please answer?

Kind regards,
Hans

Hey all,

Todd emphasizes active focuse to reverse myopia.

I read in D1 (edge of focus, clear image) and then push it just a little bit until a slight amount of blur (D2) is distinguishable.

What should I do then? Just reading and waiting my eyes to clear the blur? When I read passively (I do not "force"/care about clearing up), I do not experience any benefit for improving. It really relaxes my eyes, but I am not really sure if that kind of reading will help.

What I do currently is: I stare for about 10 seconds or so (to clear the image) and then I blink. I experience that it clears up, but sometimes I get double-pictures.
I mean the text is in focus, but I see some "halos" which disappear and come again. It is as if a camera tries to focus.

Sometimes, the picture is (D2) in focus without the halos, but when I blink, the slight blur comes back.

When trying to focus, it sometimes feel like my pupils change (as if it is bright). Is that normal?

Am I pushing too hard? I make sure that I push just a little bit - like your finger from your nose SLOWLY back to "infinity" until I see a blur. Objects I use are for example my smartphone where you can see the blur effectively or my laptop.

So I ask those who had been successful: Can you explain in detail what you do and what you experience?

Kind regards,
Hans

Hans,

You should:
-  Read as you do in D1
-  Periodically (every few minutes) push into D2 to generate slight blur
-  Allow the text to clear up and sharpen, by blinking if necessary
-  If it doesn't clear naturally, move back to D1 then try again later
-  Don't worry about the "halos" or ghost images, particularly if they are distinct.  Try to concentrate on seeing just the darkest of the double images and try to "ignore" the fainter images.  Yes, I know you still see them, but mentally emphasize the darker images.  Eventually, the ghost images will fade.
-  Don't worry about "weird" or slightly uncomfortable feelings as you describe, like "pupils changing", UNLESS you experience any pain or strain.  If pain or strain happens, stop immediately and retreat to D1.  Or better yet, take a break from reading for a while, at least 10 or 15 minutes and look at distant things.

Now that is my advice.  I can't prove that it is the only system that works, but it worked for me and many others.  If you read through the posts here or experiment yourself, you may find variations that work just as well or better.  So keep an open mind and don't be afraid to adjust your approach based on what works for you.

Todd
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:03:23 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline gekonus

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:56:02 AM »
Yeah I think the key is to print push when theres a VERY SLIGHT blur, say, its perfect from 45CM, you'll go for 47-48CM.

If you'll try medium blur, you might make it, but it feels different and I think the eyes dont like it that much. When its only a tiny blur, you feel the right muscles that work

Offline Myoctim

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
Yeah I think the key is to print push when theres a VERY SLIGHT blur, say, its perfect from 45CM, you'll go for 47-48CM.

If you'll try medium blur, you might make it, but it feels different and I think the eyes dont like it that much. When its only a tiny blur, you feel the right muscles that work

that also was my experience when starting with "print pushing" without knowing about there being a forum and that D1/D2 exercise. So I mostly read at a slight blur but fortunately it also worked.

Offline gekonus

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:40:35 AM »
And to just understand that improving vision is SOOOOOOOO slow, and you must maintain it and use better visual habits in life.. Looking at the distance often, looking at the edge of blur, and past the edge of blur.. And then plus lenses for closeup.

Even for me, Im 20/50, and its gonna take me months of print pushing to just hit 20/40.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
Hi Gekonus,

It is good to face this very difficult truth, and fact.  That REAL change in refractive state, or refractive power, is indeed very slow.  From where you started, using your own fortitude, and Snellen chart, I think you can get to objective 20/30, in about three months - if you can "stick" witht the routine.  There is a lot of science the says it is possible, but it is always up to you to achieve this success.

And to just understand that improving vision is SOOOOOOOO slow, and you must maintain it and use better visual habits in life.. Looking at the distance often, looking at the edge of blur, and past the edge of blur.. And then plus lenses for closeup.

Even for me, Im 20/50, and its gonna take me months of print pushing to just hit 20/40.

Offline gekonus

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
Well,  im using the plus for about 2 and a half months,  and im not even 20/40 yet so.. 
Its gonna take me probably another half a year to reach 20/30

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
Well,  im using the plus for about 2 and a half months,  and im not even 20/40 yet so.. 
Its gonna take me probably another half a year to reach 20/30

Gekonus,

Yes, things may proceed slowly -- but look at the positive side!  Every slight degree of improvement will increase the distance you can see without wearing glasses.  One foot or one meter at a time, the world comes into better focus.  That in itself for me was motivational enough to keep going. 

And there is nothing magic about 20/20 -- it's a completely arbitrary standard of "normal".  Some people in fact go way beyond 20/20 -- to 20/15 or even better.  Read the story by Shadowfoot:

http://gettingstronger.org/2012/04/how-one-person-improved-his-vision/

Focus on continuous improvement, however far you can reach, and savor every bit of progress -- don't lose your spirit over how far you have to go to reach an arbitrary signpost along the road.

Best wishes,

Todd

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 03:49:19 AM »
After one months of doing active focus and my astigmatic mirror mod every second day I had no improvement. I.m still at 20/25.
It seems even active focus is not the magic bullet. I did it for 15-20' (sometimes to the degree of tears as CapitalPrince mentioned) and noticed that if I wore plus a lot some day I could see 20/20 even with artificial light on active focus. A very strong effect but doesn't lock in at least in a period of month or so.
I'll do this routine for another month.

Offline jimboston

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »
After one months of doing active focus and my astigmatic mirror mod every second day I had no improvement. I.m still at 20/25.
It seems even active focus is not the magic bullet. I did it for 15-20' (sometimes to the degree of tears as CapitalPrince mentioned) and noticed that if I wore plus a lot some day I could see 20/20 even with artificial light on active focus. A very strong effect but doesn't lock in at least in a period of month or so.
I'll do this routine for another month.

Alex, please keep us updated. I can confirm many of hours of edge-of-blur and active focusing have been so far ineffective.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
Also my astigmatic wheel mod, the part of putting pressure to the cornea didn't help. Maybe trying to fuse with the brain as my last posts in diplopia is the trick.

@jimboston
I hope you have good results in the future. I got from 20/70 to 20/25 but now I'm in a long plateau. Even Alex Eulenberg just got 20/20.