Author Topic: I need an advice  (Read 2444 times)

Offline gekonus

I need an advice
« on: January 13, 2015, 06:38:50 AM »
I need an advice please, it seems like im very slowly getting better with the plus. HOWEVER, the change comes mostly from the right eye (the better one), whereas the left eye barerly gets anything if at all.. This isnt good.. I mean I would not mind having one eye 20/40 and the other 20/60 rather than both of them 20/60, but its better and faster to improve both of them at the same time..

I think the best option for me would be to get plus lenses which have 0.25D more in the stronger eye, that way both eyes will work equally.. I have no idea where to get +1.25DLeft and +1.5D right glasses tho , will not be possible to buy them for cheap anywhere.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: I need an advice
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »
Hi Gekonus,

Note: In a pair of normal eyes - there is a normal difference of 1/2 diopter.  If I can read 20/20 with both eyes open, on my Snellen, I consider that an outstanding success.  The DMV calls this 20/20 vision by their standard.  If I had one eye at 20/40, (called mono-vision) that would be of great value to me - as I get older.  That is because I would have excellent far and near vision.  (The brain always selects the better eye to see with.)

If you want to obtain low cost glasses with one eye at +1.25 and the other at +1.5, here is how you do it, for $7.  (You must measure or estimate the difference in distance between your two eyes.  It is probably about 60 mm.)

Here is a very simplified method to order the glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbpH1_rBN_0

I would suggest that you order lenses of -1/2 and -1, in order to measure your refractive status yourself.

Self-measuring your own refraction gives you knowledge, authority and competence - that most people will not develop.

If you are seeing "flashes" of 20/30 to 20/25, then self-checking, with you own test minus lenses, can help you be more consistent.

Glasses are profoundly expensive.  The average price (Washington Post) is about $244.

It is far better to get your own glasses, and measure your refractive state yourself.  You save a huge amount of money if you do so.

It is also very clear from "Warn and Capital", that refractive change - is very slow to occur.  You are luck to self-measure at 20/40, with flashes to 20/30
and 20/25.  So do not become discouraged too quickly.   Even the "best" wearing of a plus for near, means that getting better - will be slow.

I need an advice please, it seems like im very slowly getting better with the plus. HOWEVER, the change comes mostly from the right eye (the better one), whereas the left eye barerly gets anything if at all.. This isnt good.. I mean I would not mind having one eye 20/40 and the other 20/60 rather than both of them 20/60, but its better and faster to improve both of them at the same time..

I think the best option for me would be to get plus lenses which have 0.25D more in the stronger eye, that way both eyes will work equally.. I have no idea where to get +1.25DLeft and +1.5D right glasses tho , will not be possible to buy them for cheap anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:27:41 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
Υοu can patch when doing print pushing with a piece of cloth if your eyes differ more than 0.5D or you want to.

Offline gekonus

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:30:13 AM »
To be honest when I check with minus lenses, -1 for the left eye is slightly clearer than -0.75 for the right, but with no lenses on - there is a significant difference in acuity between the eyes

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Since your visual acuity doesn't differ much, check these very good exercises for developing ambidexterity.

http://www.forbestvision.com/myopia-and-binocular-vision-development-part-4/

Offline gekonus

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 05:54:37 AM »
Since your visual acuity doesn't differ much, check these very good exercises for developing ambidexterity.

Error when I try to go to that site..

Training one eye at a time ( patching) is very tough, I tried it a few times but I'd rather have both eyes.. So maybe ordering Plus lenses with +0.25 more for the stronger eye will do the job ?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 06:06:19 AM »
Hi Gekonus,

First:  I see great value - in ordering your own glasses, and making your own refractive measurements.  You tend to trust YOUR measurements, more than anything else.

Second:  Expecting SLOW change - is the right "attitude" to have towards recovery.  If you are very consistent with the plus for ALL CLOSE WORK, you could expect to get more consistent 20/25 to 20/20, in about six to nine months.   No one said this would be easy for fast.  No one.  You OD will tell you that it is impossible.

Third: No OD can do  "prevention" for your - so you must be wise enough to face the tough issues of prevention - and do it yourself.

I know how difficult, "just prevention" is, or always will be.  It is difficult enough - so no one can "prescribe it".

For myself, I either take all "educated responsibility", unto myself - or I take no responsibility at all.

Error when I try to go to that site..

Training one eye at a time ( patching) is very tough, I tried it a few times but I'd rather have both eyes.. So maybe ordering Plus lenses with +0.25 more for the stronger eye will do the job ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:15:30 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »

Offline gekonus

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »
Nope, cant ( Error 403 ).

And yeah I read that post on fraunfeld's blog