Author Topic: Am I Too Late Or Is Myopia Reduction Possible?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Kabuto

Am I Too Late Or Is Myopia Reduction Possible?
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:42:46 AM »
Hi Todd, and everyone on the forums,

I'm 24 years old.   As you may infer from my presence here, I have myopia.   I haven't had the opportunity to test my vision in quite some time, but if I were to ballpark it, I'd say my vision is somewhere in between 20/70 and 20/100 (hopefully no worse than that).   This newest drop is quite recent, because 2-3 years ago I would assert that my vision was quite a bit better than it is now.   Unfortunately, this most recent drop is probably a result from a lot of near work due to career searching.   I am quite introverted, so I'm definitely more prone to reading/computer time than getting outdoors.   Although lately, I'm trying to walk in the park whenever I have the spare moment.

Anyway, I'm wondering if reversal is indeed possible, because I've heard mixed opinions about whether myopia is actually reversible once getting below the 20/70 mark.   I've been trying these methods vigorously for the last 3 or so months now, but haven't really noticed a change yet.   Any suggestions/feedback?   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:15:48 AM by Kabuto »

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: Am I Too Late Or Is Myopia Reduction Possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:06:03 AM »
Hi Kabuto. I went from 20/70 to 20/25 in two years and now that I know somethings about diplopia maybe I'll go to 20/20. You will not have big results if you don't take the step and undercorrect and use plus if you are lower than -2.5D or -2D.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:33:04 AM »
Hi Kabuto,

Prevention does require intense, long-term motivation.  It also requires that the person actually measure his own visual acuity.  If you do not do this,  you will have no idea of any success you might achieve.   Here is a simple electronic Snellen you can use.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html

Just click on the word, "display" several times, and then back off to 20 feet and see if you can read some of the 20/60 line. 

The reason most people fail, is because they lack any long-term resolve at all.  The next reason, is that "just prevention" is indeed tedious.  A further reason, is that they do not set a reasonable objective goal, that make sense.  For me, that would be objectively reading the 20/40 line (required to pass the 20/40 line - if you have the motivation to wear the plus for one year.)

In our "modern world", we have endless "close work".  You can not "avoid it".  But you can (if at 20/40), wear a plus for ALL CLOSE WORK, before this situation gets totally "out of hand".  In fact, I wish that each OD would sit us down and tell us this truly difficult truth.  I would have worn the plus that way -- but very few people have the "scientific logic" to convince themselves of the necessity of it.

WHAT DO OPTOMETRISTS THINK ABOUT THE MESS?  (Majority-opinion, and second-opinion)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maurice-Brumer-Optometry-News/731203310285306?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Read though Maurice's commentary.  I always wondered what ODs thought of the totally destructive minus lens.  This is the most honest treatment of the subject I have ever seen.

I wish you luck with your journey.

Hi Todd, and everyone on the forums,

I'm 24 years old.   As you may infer from my presence here, I have myopia.   I haven't had the opportunity to test my vision in quite some time, but if I were to ballpark it, I'd say my vision is somewhere in between 20/70 and 20/100 (hopefully no worse than that).   This newest drop is quite recent, because 2-3 years ago I would assert that my vision was quite a bit better than it is now.   Unfortunately, this most recent drop is probably a result from a lot of near work due to career searching.   I am quite introverted, so I'm definitely more prone to reading/computer time than getting outdoors.   Although lately, I'm trying to walk in the park whenever I have the spare moment.

Anyway, I'm wondering if reversal is indeed possible, because I've heard mixed opinions about whether myopia is actually reversible once getting below the 20/70 mark.   I've been trying these methods vigorously for the last 3 or so months now, but haven't really noticed a change yet.   Any suggestions/feedback?   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:35:25 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 04:48:36 AM »
Thank you very much, Alex and Otis.   I'm simply hoping that I'm not too far down the rabbit hole- and that plus prevention/reparation is indeed possible for myself and for others in a similar situation.

I've been wearing the plus lens diligently for the last 3 months and fully intend to stick with it.   Hopefully the progress will come soon!   It's a bit frustrating when you wake up with seemingly worse vision than the previous day (perhaps that's simply the nature of fluctuating eyesight).   

Also, I am indeed introverted, so I continue to do quite a bit of close up work.... is this always ok as long as I'm using the plus?   Or should I be seeking out even more long distances outside as well?

Offline HansK

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 05:18:50 AM »
Also, I am indeed introverted, so I continue to do quite a bit of close up work.... is this always ok as long as I'm using the plus?   Or should I be seeking out even more long distances outside as well?

If you use it correctly (reading at your blur point with a slight blur), it is okay because it will relax your eyes (less eye strain) and prevent myopia progression.

But: You should look far away, too. Your eyes are meant to look primary in the distance and periodically up-close. Avoid the bad habits that made you myopic ("freezing"/sticking).

So vary your focal ranges, but we know that most of us need lots of close-up time for our daily lives.

Kind regards,
Hans

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »
Sounds good, Hans.   But is the plus lens supposed to reduce eye strain/relax my eyes?   Sometimes I feel as though after a plus lens session, my eyes feel a bit tired and perhaps strained (because they're essentially working a little bit to read the text).   Although it is possible my plus prescription is too strong (I use +1.5)

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »
Hi Kabuto,

The side issue is this -- what do optometrists think about your working to get your objective visual acuity restored to 20/40??  (Assuming you are now checking in at 20/70, on a regular basis.

The answer is this:  They believe it is totally impossible to "improve" your objective Snellen to 20/40 or better.  I respect these ODs by stating that is it extremely difficult, but not quite impossible.  But that is the "attitude", and that is why you should know how difficult it is to do it. This is why I suggest that you do all your own objective checking - and "skip" optometrist involvement.  Prevention is indeed for the "long-term", and that is an issue that should require you to ask yourself -- is it truly worth it?  This is why I will not talk about, "Myopia Reduction", because that concept is so bad, and so tied into optometry.  This is why i will only talk about OBJECTIVE Snellen clearing, where you accept it will take about one year of plus-wearing to begin to exceed the 20/40 line.

This is indeed like a "diet", where everyone want to "quit the diet" as soon as possible.  I do not judge a person on this issue.  But I do agree that it take a very long time to begin to exceed the 20/40 line - all under your control. 

You will hear people "claiming success", but I just ignore it.  The only person who will see "success" is yourself, and your reading of your own Snellen.  Other than that - no one cares about it.

I may seem a little "sharp" in my criticism, but it just the idea that you should be prepared for a long-effort, and learn how to deal with the frustrations of attempting to exceed the 20/40 line - under your total control.

Thank you very much, Alex and Otis.   I'm simply hoping that I'm not too far down the rabbit hole- and that plus prevention/reparation is indeed possible for myself and for others in a similar situation.

I've been wearing the plus lens diligently for the last 3 months and fully intend to stick with it.   Hopefully the progress will come soon!   It's a bit frustrating when you wake up with seemingly worse vision than the previous day (perhaps that's simply the nature of fluctuating eyesight).   

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:18:49 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »
Indeed, Otis.   I'm in it for the long haul, this much is true...and I'm happy to go through whatever pains and frustrations this process might entail if it means that the strain is beneficial.   If the process will result in better vision in the long run- however long it may actually take- I'm certainly willing to go through the training.

I haven't checked my Snellen as of yet, simply because I haven't had the space or resources to do so.   But as a rough measure, I likely stand somewhere from 20/70 to 20/100.   Here's to hoping that it's enough to correct.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 10:23:51 AM »
Hi -

A good "measure" of your refractive STATE (approximate) is when you can read at 18 inches THROUGH a +1.5 diopter lens.  If you can do that - there is hope.

Kabuto>  But is the plus lens supposed to reduce eye strain/relax my eyes?   

Otis> Technically, the "plus" is to optically take the "near" work, and most it into the distance (close to infinity).  Thus if you always use it, you are in fact, "living outdoors" most of the time.  (This concept is proven in science.) 

Kabuto>  Sometimes I feel as though after a plus lens session, my eyes feel a bit tired and perhaps strained (because they're essentially working a little bit to read the text). 

Otis>  We all feel "effects" when we wear the plus (as I am doing it) for all close work.  I take this sense of "strain" as proof that the plus is having the desired effect - for the long-term.

Kabuto>   Although it is possible my plus prescription is too strong (I use +1.5)

Otis>  The fact that you can read with a +1.5 diopter -- is a major success.  What is truly difficult, is that it takes a very long time (and Snellen monitoring) to finally begin reading the 20/40 line.  You have done 3 months.  Can you do this for another year?  I am doing it - why not you?

Indeed, Otis.   I'm in it for the long haul, this much is true...and I'm happy to go through whatever pains and frustrations this process might entail if it means that the strain is beneficial.   If the process will result in better vision in the long run- however long it may actually take- I'm certainly willing to go through the training.

I haven't checked my Snellen as of yet, simply because I haven't had the space or resources to do so.   But as a rough measure, I likely stand somewhere from 20/70 to 20/100.   Here's to hoping that it's enough to correct.

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
Hi -

A good "measure" of your refractive STATE (approximate) is when you can read at 18 inches THROUGH a +1.5 diopter lens.  If you can do that - there is hope.

Kabuto>  But is the plus lens supposed to reduce eye strain/relax my eyes?   

Otis> Technically, the "plus" is to optically take the "near" work, and most it into the distance (close to infinity).  Thus if you always use it, you are in fact, "living outdoors" most of the time.  (This concept is proven in science.) 

Kabuto>  Sometimes I feel as though after a plus lens session, my eyes feel a bit tired and perhaps strained (because they're essentially working a little bit to read the text). 

Otis>  We all feel "effects" when we wear the plus (as I am doing it) for all close work.  I take this sense of "strain" as proof that the plus is having the desired effect - for the long-term.

Kabuto>   Although it is possible my plus prescription is too strong (I use +1.5)

Otis>  The fact that you can read with a +1.5 diopter -- is a major success.  What is truly difficult, is that it takes a very long time (and Snellen monitoring) to finally begin reading the 20/40 line.  You have done 3 months.  Can you do this for another year?  I am doing it - why not you?

If that is the case...then there is indeed hope!  Because I can indeed read 18 inches away with a +1.5 lens.   I'll work at this as long as it takes!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:22:27 PM by Kabuto »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »
Hi  Kabuto -

Yes, reading at 18 inches with a +1.5 diotpers - is an excellent start.

It indicates a "refaction" of about -1 diopters.  But the real issues is to set a REASONABLE GOAL for your self.  To many people DEMAND 20/10 VISION, and when they do not get it in 8 weeks - they quit.  Sometimes in anger.

Just set the goal of objectively reading most of the letters on the 20/40 line (bright lit Snellen) and you will do well.  It just takes long-term plus wear to finally get their.

You are very lucky to not be "too deep", to not get back to 20/40. 

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
I should clarify that some days, 1.5+ lens in addition to an 18 inch distance puts me at the edge of blur, where the text isn't necessarily crystal clear all the time....but surely still legible.  (Unless the font is really small, like size 8 )
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:33:12 AM by Kabuto »