Author Topic: What you doctor knows, and will not tell you.  (Read 799 times)

Offline OtisBrown

What you doctor knows, and will not tell you.
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:35:05 AM »
SUBJECT: WHAT YOUR DOCTOR KNOWS – THAT WEARING A MINUS IS BAD FOR YOU.
THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU ANYTHING, HOWEVER.
THEY KNOW THAT "LONG-TERM” CLOSE WORK CREATES NEGATIVE STATUS FOR YOUR NATURAL EYES.
I WONDER WHY DO THEY NOT JUST TELL YOU THE TRUTH?

This is from the Health Profession’s Response to “Problems With Poor Vision”.  (From the Washington Post.)

I thank Dr. Levy for his scientific honesty.  It would be nice if he made me responsible for true-prevention (under *my* control) when I could still read the 20/40 like, and slowly restore my "Snellen acuity" myself.

++++++

By Dr. Robert Levy:

I must strongly disagree with at least one “myth” about poor vision Dr. Jay Siwek mentions [Consultation, "The Washington Post"]. He says doing close work does not harm your eyes and then goes on to talk about three sight- threatening diseases. While it is true that close work does not cause the kinds of blindness that glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration do, such fine focusing for extended periods can cause nearsightedness, a far more common occurrence.

Day after day, year after year, I see patients who get more and more nearsighted from doing close work, particularly if they have been wearing a distance prescription while doing their close work. The vicious cycle is that you read and do your homework, become nearsighted, get distance [negative lens] glasses and when you go back to read and do your homework you become more nearsighted.

People who take their glasses off to read (if they can) or who wear bifocals [plus lenses] to reduce the prescription for near focusing show a much slower progression into nearsightedness than those who read with distance glasses on. One study of an Eskimo village being taught to read showed that after two generations of reading, virtually none of the grandparents’ generation needed distance glasses, about half of the parents’ generation did and virtually all of the children’s generation did. This is the best example of reading and close work causing nearsightedness.
+++++

It would be nice if ALL MEDICAL PEOPLE WOULD SAY THIS TO ME.

I hate the idea that Optometrists KNOW this scientific truth,  and will not tell me about their judgement -- about that adverse effect that a minus lens always has has on the natural eye.

I would judge that I have been cheated out of my distant vision – by an OD who will not say this to me when I am at 20/40, and could restore my vision by the methods of rejecting the minus, wearing the plus for near, and objectively passing the 20/25 line on my "Home Snellen".

I hate "finding out", after my eyes have been destroyed -- because I was never offered an intelligent choice - when I could have gotten my Snellen back to 20/20, by my own personal efforts.

+++++

But equally, if they attempted to explain WHY it would be wise to wear a plus for prevention (at 20/40) you would never wear it for that purpose.

Can you blame them -- for remaining silent?

I can not blame them.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:39:19 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: What you doctor knows, and will not tell you.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
Question:  Is prevention is possible - if you have both the interest and motivation.

Clearly, from the previous post, even the ODs know for certain that long-term near creates, "negative status".  We should always be
honest with ourselves about that issue.

http://endmyopia.org/changing-the-paradigm-of-myopia-treatment/

So the issue is a matter of what you wish to do about it - because no one  can "prescribe" the type
of long-term motivation required to sustain clear vision though the school years.

Or is it a matter that it is "just too hard" to make the intellectual judgment and physical commitment to
doing what is necessary?

We should begin thinking, "... this is not the fault of the optometrists ... perhaps we should take
more personal responsibility to institute responsibility before the situation gets too far out-of-hand..."

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:48:46 AM by OtisBrown »