Author Topic: "Vision Without Glasses"  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Kabuto

"Vision Without Glasses"
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
Does anyone know if any of the methods in this book are effective in treating myopia and which ones to focus in on?   I’m curious if any of you have experience with any of the methods in this book.   

The Author Mentions the Following Techniques:

1.   Palming-   This is an idea from Bates about relaxing the eyes by placing your palms over them.   I imagine that palming is great for eyesight relaxation.   Not sure if this is tied to eyesight improvement or not, but

2.   Shifting:   I imagine that shifting is super important in regards to improving vision.   It still takes time to grasp the concept of it, but I understand the basic idea.   Our ancestor’s didn’t only look into the distance, but they scanned their environments with extreme precision and flexibility.   It’s a technique lot more effective than staring at one narrow computer screen, no?

3.   Central Fixation:   I’m not quite sure I understand the idea behind this.   Basically, our central field of vision is at its most clear, but I’m not actually sure in what capacity I would utilize that…

4.   Blinking:   Blinking is super important, another essential quality of the eye that computers and books can diminish.   I believe the blinking is of utmost significance, it can be difficult to be conscious of it.

5.   Deep Breathing:   Deep breathing is good for a lot of things, including overall health.   Not sure how it would affect the eyes though.

6.   Movement:   Another category I didn’t quite interpret clearly from the book.   Not sure how movement and shifting differ from one another.

7.    Memory/Imagination:   Definitely “iffy” about this one.   I guess it helps to visualize your goals,  but I’m not sure what scientific effect that would actually have on eyesight.

8.   Shifting- Close/Near/Far:   I imagine this one to be of value as well.   No doubt it is crucial to be able to have high efficiency in close range, medium range, and far range, and be able to alternate between them at any given point.

9.   Sunning:   While I have little doubt that exposure to light and Vitamin D are beneficial to the eyes, I

10.   Fine Print:   The mention of reading very fine print actually surprised me the most, and seems to be like quite the effective exercise.   In essence, it’s pretty much the same idea as the plus lens, but in a different capacity.   We are flexing our eyes to read just at the edge of blur to improve and magnify our concentration.   In fact, it can be argued that fine print encapsulates the ideas of the plus lens but only with less strain. 

Despite the author’s criticism of the plus lens method, I think both that and the fine print method could be effective in improving sight.   Though I wonder if the fine print might even be superior.   Granted, the fine print is not always an option, for example when I am looking at images on the computer I will need the plus.   But for text, fine print might be the way to go.   

At the very least, I would argue that we need to go back to our natural roots as much as possible and use our eyes in the same way that our ancestors did.   I believe that if vision improvement is indeed possible (which I very much hope to be so) than we need to utilize our eyes correctly.   

Overall, I would assume that some of these methods might be effective, others not so much.   None of them hurt, at the very least.   The only ones I would argue against putting into practice is sunning, simply because looking into the sunlight can do more harm than good.   Also, palming can prove to be time consuming.    As a whole though, these exercises can at the very least be of good supplement.   Curious all of your thoughts, once more.   

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: "Vision Without Glasses"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 03:03:30 PM »
It's a good book. I did the exercises years ago. But I find plus lenses, active focus and astigmatic mirror much more efficient.
About sunning, I still believe is beneficial and do it once per week when the sun is about to set. I do it with my eyes closed and sometimes I roll them and even palm (too dark) and not palm but still eyelids closed (too much light) in order to irritate the retina. You can even look a few second NOT at the sun but at the horizon just below the sun or blink at the sun (the last one is a little dangerous).
Bates said it decades ago and now
"The stimulation of macula is a good idea. It’s better to use low-level laser therapy (LLLT, i.e. cold laser).

Link: LLLT led to a significant improvement in visual acuity in adolescent and adult patients with amblyopia caused by ametropia or strabismus."
http://www.forbestvision.com/controlling-the-visual-axes/

"the area of the macula was irradiated through the conjunctiva "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22235969

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 12:01:56 AM »
I suppose the greatest question I have after all this is whether or not reading fine print is as effective as using the plus.   It seems to have the same effect on the eyes overall (with the objective of bringing blurred objects into focus) without the extra strain.

I'm happy to put all the effort I need in if results will come eventually (even if it were to take a year...)

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 03:11:59 AM »
I believe reading fine print without glasses is good for presbyopia. If you read fine print at the edge of blur there must be some good point of focus clearing but the degree of accommodation is high and can contribute to myopia while with plus is zero.

Offline Blue Eyes

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
I haven't read that book but here's my take on things after working on this for quite a few years now.

I noticed your list doesn't include any stretches which is a central part of my routine.  I combine the stretches with shifting and  breathing and then blinking,  I find this a very power combination and may follow up with palming to cool down the eyes as they may be burning.  I am aiming for tears as to me this is a positive sign and can feel and sometime even see tension  being released.

I do a conscious type of  breathing which to me is key as if   I just breath normally nothing happens but when I apply a Ujjayi breathing which I learnt from Yoga then you can feel healing energy being applied to those stretched out muscles.

This is quite an advanced technique and is something that I have worked out myself and have not read in a book.

So as far as which method to focus on I would suggest to experiment.