Author Topic: Distance Viewing: Naked Eye Or Reduced Minus Lens?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Kabuto

Distance Viewing: Naked Eye Or Reduced Minus Lens?
« on: May 10, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Hi all,

Looking to clarify what I should be doing for distance viewing.  At the moment I've been using my naked eye for all distance viewing and a plus lenses for all close work.   I'm wondering, am I putting too much strain on my naked eyes?   Would the reduced minus lenses be more effective in this regard?

Apologies for all the questions, this method can be a bit confusing at times. 

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: Distance Viewing: Naked Eye Or Reduced Minus Lens?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
Dr Alex says too much blur is bad for the visual cortex and I agree. So he suggests a maximum 20/40 undercorrection or 0,5D.

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »
I use my naked eyes a lot, namely because I'm embarrassed to wear my glasses in public...(in reality, my myopia is from all the close work I've done because I've hardly actually worn the minus lens.  Is the reduced lens a necessity?  I don't want to strain my naked eyes..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:35:32 PM by Kabuto »

Offline Kabuto

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I would love more answers regarding this.  Definitely got social anxiety about glasses, so I'm hoping the naked eye is fine...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:31:04 AM by Kabuto »

Offline strongmama

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 04:30:44 AM »
From what I've read, it depends on how bad your naked eyes are. Obviously you want to be safe and able to see any potential dangers in your environment such as traffic if you're outside or a stairway if your inside. I think the trick is finding your edge of blur, just as with the print pushing. For social situations, how close do you need to be to recognize your friends? Are you seeing enough of their facial expressions? It's ultimately up to you. My advice is avoid the minus as much as possible, but you know your own eyes best and what's working for you. Are you seeing improvements from reducing your close strain with the plus? Any clear flashes yet?

Offline llambers

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:57:45 AM »
I would appreciate more input on this question as well.  I feel like I have noted people who have reported success with wearing no undercorrection at significant myopia (wearing no glasses).  Additionally, the report that there is more rapid success at the earlier stages, stages of more severe myopia, suggest to me that an eye without correction at all, merely in order to serve the human body in its movement and function (finding the refrigerator door, looking for your keys on a messy desk, looking for the garage door opener in your car) is FORCED to exert focus, causing the actual and real use of the ciliary muscle at these more intense levels of blur.  Also, intuitively, as I have reported elsewhere, it makes no sense to me that an edge of blur would be required to use the ciliary muscles.  I know this because I find, personally, that I can auto-induce this ciliary muscle tension (something which Frauenfield suggests is possible) regardless of where I am or what I am looking at.  Admittedly, I have yet to report any long term improvement.  Hence my appeal to more experience others' on this matter of, I think, some considerable importance.