Author Topic: Do muscles surrounding the eye has anything to do with myopia ?  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Robin mn

Do muscles surrounding the eye has anything to do with myopia ?I ask this because the following observations:
1)Stretching skin to the side of the eyes tend to create an awful lot of clarity all at once.This is totally different from squinting.
2)Both of my eyes do not always active focus to the same extent and so my binocular vision tends to get double.Inorder to correct this offset without patching I tend to use my eyebrow muscles to direct more active focussing to the corresponding eye.
3)Palming tends to relax mymuscles around the eye and I can get more focussing afterwards.

Offline chris1213

Re: Do muscles surrounding the eye has anything to do with myopia ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »
As far as I'm concerned the muscles around the eyes don't contribute to myopia (at least in the majority of cases). 

Myopia is more of a stress response from healthy eyes, and has to do more with the ciliary muscles. The ciliary is that lens inside our eyes that focuses lights on the retina. When we look at things up close it contracts and when we look at things at a far distance it relaxes. When we focus too much time up close the muscle contracts for a long time so then it gets a spasm, which is called pseudo myopia. Then, when we are given minus lenses and don't take them off when focusing up close the light that enters the eyes through the ciliary is focused behind the retina so the entire eye changes its shape to handle this strain and creates actual myopia (the cilliary cannot focus the light on the retina anymore because the retina is now further away from when the lens focuses the light).

It's like when u lift a bag or a weight with your hand and your arm muscles contract. Then, when you let go and don't lift anything your arm muscles relax. Pseudo-myopia is like lifting a bag or weight for hours and never putting it down until you get a muscle spasm (or maybe tumor?). Myopia is when you keep holding that bag but instead of putting it down you take painkillers. (You might understand it better here: http://endmyopia.org/end-myopia-home/).

The reason you might feel your eyesight is better when you do palming exercises is because when you out your hands on your eyes and you don't look at anything you might be giving time for your ciliary muscle to relax but in the long term that's not really gonna bring your eye back to normal unless you're myopia is perhaps under -1.5.

Offline gekonus

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:49 AM »
As far as I'm concerned the muscles around the eyes don't contribute to myopia (at least in the majority of cases). 

Myopia is more of a stress response from healthy eyes, and has to do more with the ciliary muscles. The ciliary is that lens inside our eyes that focuses lights on the retina. When we look at things up close it contracts and when we look at things at a far distance it relaxes. When we focus too much time up close the muscle contracts for a long time so then it gets a spasm, which is called pseudo myopia. Then, when we are given minus lenses and don't take them off when focusing up close the light that enters the eyes through the ciliary is focused behind the retina so the entire eye changes its shape to handle this strain and creates actual myopia (the cilliary cannot focus the light on the retina anymore because the retina is now further away from when the lens focuses the light).

It's like when u lift a bag or a weight with your hand and your arm muscles contract. Then, when you let go and don't lift anything your arm muscles relax. Pseudo-myopia is like lifting a bag or weight for hours and never putting it down until you get a muscle spasm (or maybe tumor?). Myopia is when you keep holding that bag but instead of putting it down you take painkillers. (You might understand it better here: http://endmyopia.org/end-myopia-home/).

The reason you might feel your eyesight is better when you do palming exercises is because when you out your hands on your eyes and you don't look at anything you might be giving time for your ciliary muscle to relax but in the long term that's not really gonna bring your eye back to normal unless you're myopia is perhaps under -1.5.

Chris, my myopia is less than -1.5, in fact , its about -1 MAX. I used to play  the comp 10 hours a day when I was a kid, until Ive got a maximum of about -1.5 Myopia. Its now -1 , but still you could call it "Psuedo myopia". Lets assume its psueod, then why isnt it gone yet ? Ive been doing far work and edge of blur works (Plus lense and without) for over 9 months, and I didnt even get down by 1 line on the snellen.

Ive been 20/50 for about a year now. nothing changed, and i dont know what is gonna improve me PERMANENTLY.

I do get "CLEAR FLASHES" , but they are ALWAYS ALWAYS temporary.

Offline Robin mn

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 05:25:21 AM »
@gekonus
Have you got a grasp of active focussing.It proves to be very essential atleast in my case.

Offline chris1213

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:45:40 PM »
Gekonus,

First of all, please understand this is just my opinion and I'm not a optometrist or anything of that sort.

Now, let me ask you: how do you know your myopia is max -1? Did you go to an optometrist and checked your eyesight? Have you worn a pair of glasses with a -1 prescription verifying you can see the 20/20 line or better? Have you checked your cm's value here: http://endmyopia.org/focal-calculator/calc.html ?

First, we need to know where you're starting.

Now, after you've proved exactly what your degree of myopia is we need to check what you might be doing wrong. How many hours a day do you print push, how many hours do spend outside? What have you done when you've got clear flashes?

You say "Ive been doing far work and edge of blur works (Plus lense and without) for over 9 months" so what is "far work"and how do you do the edge of blur work with and without plus lenses?

Please answer all these questions so we can discuss what you might be doing wrong so you can reach a conclusion or better approach.

Offline gekonus

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
Gekonus,

First of all, please understand this is just my opinion and I'm not a optometrist or anything of that sort.

Now, let me ask you: how do you know your myopia is max -1? Did you go to an optometrist and checked your eyesight? Have you worn a pair of glasses with a -1 prescription verifying you can see the 20/20 line or better? Have you checked your cm's value here: http://endmyopia.org/focal-calculator/calc.html ?

First, we need to know where you're starting.

Now, after you've proved exactly what your degree of myopia is we need to check what you might be doing wrong. How many hours a day do you print push, how many hours do spend outside? What have you done when you've got clear flashes?

You say "Ive been doing far work and edge of blur works (Plus lense and without) for over 9 months" so what is "far work"and how do you do the edge of blur work with and without plus lenses?

Please answer all these questions so we can discuss what you might be doing wrong so you can reach a conclusion or better approach.

Okay so, I checked myself from 20 feet, indoor lights and I can see 20/20 with -1D on my left eye and -0.75D on my right.

Im doing edge of blur works for a few hours a day (about 110CM or so. I spend a few hours outside everyday , and almost no "CLOSE WORK" which is Inside the focus range.

I do get clear flashes when i blink in a certain way.. makes me think its more of a physical thing that I do.. and it never lasts permanently.  My average vision is 20/50 ( checked ) , and with flashes I usually get 20/40 to 20/25 vision (Temporarily which lasts only for a blink)

How do I print push? I just sit as far as the text is a tiny bit blurry, and just shifting on the words and blinking ( clearing them temporarily.

The key word here is - TEMPORARY improvements -_-"

Offline HansK

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
I do get clear flashes when i blink in a certain way.. makes me think its more of a physical thing that I do.. and it never lasts permanently.  My average vision is 20/50 ( checked ) , and with flashes I usually get 20/40 to 20/25 vision (Temporarily which lasts only for a blink)

How do I print push? I just sit as far as the text is a tiny bit blurry, and just shifting on the words and blinking ( clearing them temporarily.

The key word here is - TEMPORARY improvements -_-"

Blinking: It's a temporary flattening of the cornea, see ortho-k. I am the same as you, gekonus. I do not make any progress although I am working at the edge of blur (alternating between edge of focus and edge of blur) and 0.25 diopters undercorrection for distance use.

Kind regards,
Hans

Offline chris1213

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »
Do you have any double images?? And just wondering, how many diopters does your plus have?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:52:36 PM by chris1213 »

Offline Hillyman

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
To Robin MN: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possible role of the external eye muscles (extraocular muscles, or EOM). I am able to get discernible and repeatable, albeit temporary, improvement in clarity by exerting a voluntary muscular tension in my eye. See the thread I started on June 4 on "The Bershak Method." I would be the first to admit that I do not understand how this happens!

Aside from this phenomenon, I am starting to think that the EOM and their role in convergence/divergence is somehow linked to accommodation, the impairment of which results in myopia (and probably hyperopia). I wonder now if there isn't some interesting connection between how the two eyes converge/diverge to measure of the distance of an object, and how (or whether) that information is an input to how the accommodation system works. Are these two separate systems working in parallel or are they on fact two aspects of the same one system? If it's the latter, can be improve accommodation by working on refining the convergence/divergence system?

I have had about a diopter improvement from my starting -5.5 over the past nearly two years, and I think I am continuing to make progress, if slowly. I sense physically that I now have a different kind of seeing, where there is more of a (subtle) muscular action in my eyes, actively doing micro adjustments to get the best clarity. This is not a passive "relax into the distance"; it feels more like there is an active component in the seeing of distant objects, which might or might not be some aspect of the EOM at play.

Offline Robin mn

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 04:34:22 AM »
Hi Hillyman
Your mention of Bershak method and your own experience of actively seeing the surroundings looks to me as another viewpoint of active focus which according to endmyopia.org is ciliary muscle action.Axial elongation(eyeball elongation) is said to be a case for high myopia mostly.How can Bershak method explain low myopia?

Offline Robin mn

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »
Hi Otis
Its one thing to conceal truths for profits,but to lie blankly that eye glasses do not weaken your and that there is no scientific proof is totally unacceptable.To post a video selling lies is like a crime;it could mislead many.After starting rehab reading more about this scam I have all but lost much of good faith in this industry and trust more in science and what your eyes feel.Before it was like only an uphill view ,the hill being diopters of my prescription.The opttometrists not one whom I have met made me look downhill.Thanks a ton to Todd .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:37:02 AM by Robin mn »