Author Topic: Lasik - A success, or a risk.  (Read 868 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Lasik - A success, or a risk.
« on: August 11, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »

There are about three "medical" methods that can get you back to 20/20. ( I will not
include wearing of a plus, when you are at 20/40, (-1 diopter), because prevention
with a plus is "not medical", and in does not cost anything.  It just takes great
and long-term fortitude to "commit" to wearing it though the school years.

LASIK:

(This is elective, so you pay the full cost of it.  There is no insurance for it. 
I think it costs about $3,000 for a good job.

Here are the "pros and cons" about Lasik.  Personally, I considered it, but because
of the risks presented in this video - I would not have it done to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_4FUFhhDXo

CATARACT SURGERY:

That is what I had done to my eye.  (This was NOT optional.  I could not pass the required DMV test, and I knew it.)

That is covered by insurance - so the cost to me was very low.

When this operation is good - the result is wonderful.  I now personally verify 20/20 to 20/15 vision.  I think
you know me well enough to know that I am making an objective measurement.

ORTHO-K

It costs about $1,500 per year.  You sleep in a "re-shaping" contact, and if you are at 20/50, it will
give you 20/20 in day light.  The problem is that it never "fixes" the problem.  If you
quit wearing Ortho-K, then in about one month, you are back to 20/50 or worse.

MY USE OF THE PLUS FOR PREVENTION (AND EXPERIENCE OF PILOTS):

Since I recommend the plus (for pilots), I do wear the plus for all close work.  Obviously, I consider
this a methods to be used by high school students, who have about 20/40 vision, and will
self-measure at -1 diopter.  No one can "guarantee" results at all.  Since no money is
involved, it is totally free. 

For me, if I were objectively reading the 20/40 line (passes the DMV), I would totally reject the minus.

I would be wearing the strongest plus possible, which would range from +1.25 to +2.75 diopters.

That is what I am doing now.  I recommended this to my blood-relatives.  They wore with
various commitment, even with 20/20, which is very reasonable.   They all
pass the DMV, when they drive.

No one said you could ever "prescribe" true prevention.  That is why it is free.