Author Topic: Plus Lens Strategy Low Myopia  (Read 1846 times)

Offline mikeg7

Plus Lens Strategy Low Myopia
« on: September 02, 2015, 05:10:12 AM »
 I'm sure my question is covered elsewhere on this site, but I've not found the information I need.

I've gone from my last Rx of -1.75 to around -.94 as measured using the centimeter to slight blur method.

I use +1.5 at work with my computer, +2.5 at home when reading books or using my smartphone, and no glasses for distance activities and watching TV.

I've heard that some manage to get through to the last bit of improvement back to 20/20 by "constant" use of Plus Lenses

If this is true; what diopter lens should I use, and please define "constant?" (I understand this would not include driving or using hazardous equipment.)

Thanks,

Mike G.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Plus Lens Strategy Low Myopia
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:50:11 AM »
I will not "fight" with a person about this issue.

Pilots do this (from 20/40), with no OD involvement.  I do accept the need for objective measurement - made by myself.
Most people will quit wearing the plus after a few weeks.  To see any results - takes about six months.

Here is the chart for your use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUkoSSgVOs

My own vision, runs between 20/20 to 20/15.

You will get a lot of "advice" here.  But it is only your own intelligence, education and judgment that can resolve this issue, on your own.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 06:27:34 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline mikeg7

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:40:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply Otis:

Assuming my -.94 self diagnosis is correct, (thanks for the Snellen) and I know that my eyesight has improved significantly, my question is regarding what diopter plus lens to use for distance and TV? (I have no problem with the effort involved BTW) My objective is to optimize my progress by using the correct diopter plus lens for my particular acuity.

For distance/TV, +1.5, +2.5.....??

A chart might be helpful for everyone, i.e.. for 20/40 use +X.0 lens, for 20/30 use +Y.0 lens ....

Thanks again,

Mike G.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »
Hi Mike,

For myself - I prefer brutal scientific honesty.  There is no, "easy way".  There is no "quick fix".  There is no "pay me money for a solution".  I do not want your money.  I do accept that long-term plus wear is required.  People who think that a plus is some time of "cure", get that wrong.  The plus can only be considered as a way to "end" the effect of long-term close work (that in our modern society we can not avoid.)  You do not have to necessarily by some "test lenses".  But you do necessarily have to objectively read and pass the 20/30 line.  (Others have used the plus here, but were looking for 20/10 vision.  Since they did not get the idea, they quit.) 

I try to keep prevention as simple as possible.  As easy as possible.  But I know of no way to "speed up", Snellen clearing.   Your use of a +2.5 for all reading, and a +1.5 for all work - is the correct way.  I do not think you need a "plus" for TV, since it is greater than six feet away.

I would also say that the "CM" method is good if you are a -7 diopter "myope".  But when you are getting close to reading the 20/40 line, the cm methods - is not accurate and does not work.  I urge complete "change over" to that Snellen chart.  I can help you a lot if you are willing to do that.  In the final analysis, to get rid of the minus, we must read the 20/30 to 20/20 line, with passing the 20/25 line, and the best success possible. (Both eyes open.)  So, get working on that Snellen chart, if you want realistic, and objective success.

You do not need to wear any lens for distance, again, assuming you actually read that 20/40 line on your own Snellen.  Make this your own science project.

In fact, you should replace that crude "cm" measurement system, with your own "test minus lenses", to make yourself completely competent and professional.  That will make you an expert.

Keeping everything "simple" and low-cost as possible, I just need a -1 and a -1/2 to make my own realistic measurement myself.  I urge you to take that step also.  The cost is almost nothing, and the "feeling of good judgment", is incredible.

So - get working on that objective Snellen - and plan to continue wearing the  plus for one year.

Thanks for the reply Otis:

Assuming my -.94 self diagnosis is correct, (thanks for the Snellen) and I know that my eyesight has improved significantly, my question is regarding what diopter plus lens to use for distance and TV? (I have no problem with the effort involved BTW) My objective is to optimize my progress by using the correct diopter plus lens for my particular acuity.

For distance/TV, +1.5, +2.5.....??

A chart might be helpful for everyone, i.e.. for 20/40 use +X.0 lens, for 20/30 use +Y.0 lens ....

Thanks again,

Mike G.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:12:36 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline mikeg7

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »
Otis,

I checked the Snellen at 20' and I'm able to read the 20/30 line. (when my active focus kick in)

Thanks,

Mike Goldstein
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:50:52 AM by mikeg7 »