Author Topic: Todd, this is a thread about you  (Read 1814 times)

Offline chris1213

Todd, this is a thread about you
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »
Todd, I hope youre still at least glancing at the forum and are able to reply,

I was just wondering if you could tell us about your personal experience with your method. You talk about your method, you tell people what you did, but you don't really share what you experienced while going through it all. I know it's been more than 10 years since you reversed back to 20/20 but whatever you can share would be interesting to read.

How did you incorporate the plus wearing into your daily life? Was there a time you thought it wasn't working or maybe was it easy for you to track your results? Did you never really struggle with much blur or did you? I believe that anything that you can share would be interesting for us because so far, in this forum, the only ones that went back to a stable 20/20 with your method were you and shadowfoot.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Todd, this is a thread about you
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 08:04:21 PM »
Hi Chris,

Actually I did describe my experience in several podcast interviews and in some of my comments here and there on the blog, for example:
http://gettingstronger.org/2014/08/myopia-a-modern-yet-reversible-disease/comment-page-2/#comment-320329

But to recap here: 

I stopped wearing my minus lenses cold turkey more than 15 years ago. I forgot to take them with me on a two week vacation. When I found my vision improving as a result, I abandoned my minus lenses and never looked back. I could do that because my myopia was relatively mild. If it had been stronger than about 2 diopters, then I might have opted to use undercorrected minus lenses for a while.

Later, I came across Brian Severson’s work and added periodic use of plus lenses as an “adjunct” to facilitate myopia reduction. I sent off for his "Vision Freedom" package (no longer available), including a set of plus lenses.  Plus lenses aren’t strictly necessary as long as your use your eyes correctly and frequently push them to the limits of their focusing ability. But they are a real help when you read a lot, both as a preventive measure and to work your way out of myopia.

The biggest improvements came in the first few months of basically going without glasses, and print pushing both with and without plus lenses.  At first I probably used plus lenses for reading sessions of about an hour a day, then less frequently.  I mainly used them when I wanted to improve faster, or when I needed a "tune up".

I was something of a fanatic, always trying to push my visual acuity. It was not a boring set of mindless eye exercises.  I was always "playing", looking near and far, enjoying tracing edges of objects.  It was exciting when I discovered that I could stare at double images and get one of the two lines to become darker, the other fainter.

One of the most exciting points was when I stopped needing glasses for movies, and then for driving!  I can't recommend driving without a full prescription, but I did it when I was able to see several car lengths ahead. I eventually became able to read license plates a few car lengths ahead.  Then I checked that I could read a Snellen Chart 20/20  with my right eye and 20/40 with my left.  I went to the DMV, made sure I could pass the chart in their office.  Then took the test and got my optical restriction removed.   I didn't stop there.  I can now read license plates 3 or 4 car lengths ahead and can read any road sign in the distance. 

For those of you who struggle, always keep in mind that there is a BIG payoff at the end.  I really treasure my sharp vision because it was not always that way.

The world is so beautiful to behold in its exquisite detail and bright color -- without glasses.

Todd

Offline chris1213

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply. I still don't get one thing though. Although you say you just sued the plus for about an hour a day and in your article you mention print pushing could be done for up to four hours, did you do print pushing all day when not wearing the plus? Since you say that you enjoyed tracing objects, did you do this most of the day even when not wearing the plus? I could see a reason of better improvement if you did.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »
Chris,

Some people, when going to the gym to weight lift or run on the treadmill, pursue it as an exact science.  They read a book or work with a trainer to follow a very strict protocol, with a precise number of reps or minutes on each exercise, with prescribed amount of rest time between sets.  If they miss a single session, they think they have failed.

I did not, and do not, pursue print pushing as an exact science, but rather as an art, informed by a general understanding of the physiology of the eye and the science of human adaptive response.  I get hundreds of email from people wanting to know exactly what lens to use, exactly how many minutes, etc.   I'm sorry, but I can't provide that.  The best I can do is share my experience and provide a forum for others to share their experience, perhaps to debate, but hopefully to learn.

When I was starting out, I probably did print pushing for one hour some days, four hours others. Some days I did no print pushing. I found one hour to be very effective, and I didn't want things to get tedious.  So I used the "tracing" of lines as a playful way to stimulate my eyes in different ways. And I also believe, as with an "exercise" variety is better than a unitary approach.

If I ever find myself slipping, and encounter a blur when focusing either far or near, I use it as an opportunity to "push" or "pull" on my eye's focusing mechanism.  But mostly the world is clear for me, so it is a now and then kind of activity.

In my response above, I'm not trying to be flip.  But I really want others who come here to realize that this is not an exact science. Try to understand the general principles, experiment and find what works for you.  It's true of life in general, that what works best for one person, may be not be the ideal protocol for a second person.  Good personal trainers and good self-trainers realize this, and learn to adapt the protocol to the individual.

Todd
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:12:21 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline chris1213

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »
Todd,

It is really useful that you took the time to write the post above.

I think it is really important that you emphasize print pushing not being an exact science but a tool or a premise to use. Also, a rather abstract yet crucial factor is, as you say, to look at  print pushing as an art. Thank you for clearing that up.

It might be easier for you to understand the points above because your blog is all about that; about using different tools to apply a relative stress on the body for it to adapt. However, form many, who just stumble upon one article of your blog which might happen to be the one on print pushing, it might not be as easy to understand that the information you share is always based on the basic point.

You just made me understand something: that getting stronger is never a one-way method but rather a group of tools that people as individuals have to apply in their own personal way.

Thanks Todd for keeping up with the blog and also the forum. I appreciate it a lot.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »
Glad it clicked for you, Chris!