Author Topic: Children - is prevention even possible for them?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Children - is prevention even possible for them?
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »

I have had discussions with optometrists about the need for the person to be wise, independent, and motivated.

Here is the reason why I would NEVER go to an optometrist for help with prevention (when I  can still read the 20/40 line, and self-measure at -1 diopters.)

https://myopiafree.wordpress.com/tragic/

We have had many a pleasant conversation about this issue.  But I know that no optometrist will ever help me.  So I must be wise, in-control, and always objectively exceed the 20/40 line.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:40:47 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Children - is prevention even possible for them?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:04:32 AM »
So you hit a plateau, at 20/50, (self-measured -1 diopter), and need to continue getting out of it.

Here is some helpful advice:

http://endmyopia.org/bad-plateaus-the-looking-glass/

Remember, ODs refuse to help even their own children, in an absolute sense.

What makes you think they care about you objectively improving your vision.   See:

http://eyecareprofessionals.com/HtmlDetail.aspx?service=46&content=lookinside-excerpt1

This is where I "gave up" on ODs.  I have no "argument" with them.  But I can argue that they should help their own children.

OD-Blind to science> Nothing seems to absorb my children’s attention more than video gaming. I can shout. I can cry. I can jump up and down and flail my arms. They don’t move! They don’t look up! They don’t hear a word! And they can be in this hypnotic state for hours!! What does this have to do with vision?

OD-Blind> Everything!

OD-Blind> Long periods of intense near work have been associated with nearsightedness.  Whether the near work causes the nearsightedness has yet to be proven, but there is a connection.

++++

Otis> I have NEVER said that "long-term near", causes "nearsightedness", because the eye is proven-dynamic.  This is the point that this OD-Blind, misses completely.

Otis>  I can not "fix" OD-blindness, ever.  I also agree that putting "discipline", into a kid, to 1) Sit up, and 2) Always wear a strong plus for near (while still at 20/40), is extremely difficult.

Otis> This is why I do not "argue" with an OD, who can never see his way clear, to help his own child.

Otis> Is this a value judgment. Do I fault the parent, who will not gain scientific knowledge to help his own child.  No, I can not.  But I can report science that shows how critical it is that a wise (young adult) understand WHY he can not go to an OD who "thinks this way".

Otis> Getting "rid of" long-term near (with self-imposed plus lens), and trusting science, and your own wisdom, is that only thing that will ever work.  This is never going to be "internal to the optometrist's world".

Otis> I just "gave up" on all of this.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:13:22 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Children - is prevention even possible for them?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »
Here is the only way that prevention will be possible.  This is when an MD (at -6 diopters) realizes how he has had his vision destroyed by that FIRST minus lens.  He realizes that long-term plus wear is totally necessary.  There is no "short term" plus-wear with results.  That is the difference between a successful person - and a failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lxDeSBhyjY

When a father wakes up to the fraud that is the minus lens, then that is the only way a child's distant vision will be saved - with long-term plus wear.

I know you hate the idea, and want to invent your own solution.  I say - more power to you.  You just have to exceed the 20/30 and 20/20 lines.

For Todd - who was intelligent and very persistent with the plus - is works.

For all the rest of you - well it never works.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:40:07 PM by OtisBrown »