Author Topic: How I support "EndMyopia", and people with weak prescriptions.  (Read 3886 times)

Offline OtisBrown

How I support "EndMyopia", and people with weak prescriptions.
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
Subject:  How to start with prevention, if you have a mild prescription.

Issue:  Why "EndMyopia", is critical for review and success.  There is no doubt that prevention is difficult.  So be prepared.

Issue: Why we take so long to "dis-trust" that first minus lens.  After all, is not the doctor giving you the "best minus lens possible"?  How can you reasonably stop wearing it?

This is the picture I would start with.  You walk out of an ODs office.  (You have had your nose on the page for the previous three years.  You never "noticed" it getting "blurry out there".   Then, when you get out, you see this - as you walk down the street.  You feel your vision is really bad, and are told, "there is no other alternative that I know of", by your OD.

http://endmyopia.org/matt-50-prescription-reduction-since-2014/

There is a good reason to believe that, however impressive that minus lens is (in this video), there is an alternative.

Todd has in fact objectively established the true alternative - because he had his own reasons to make himself objectively successful.  Todd has no reason, to miss-represent his success.  He is not "making money off you".  He is doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

I advocate strong use of the plus (if you are reading the 20/40 line).  I advocate, "pushing print" as I did with Brian Severson, many years ago - when reading with a plus lens on your face.

In the case of the "video", you should check your own Snellen, objectively.  A person with that degree of "blur", might be passing the 20/40 to 20/60 line.  He must check himself.  If he does not - then he has to TRUST the OD and his measure.

From long experience, I simply do not trust.  Perhaps I am more objective that most people about science and this issue.  I trust the "man in his office", but only to a very limited extent.  I trust my own measurement.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:57:39 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: How I support "EndMyopia", and people with weak prescriptions.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
Subject: Why do people get so "hung up" on pure-exercise?

This video discusses Todd's D1 and D2 idea.  There is some discussion of the need to wear a plus for all close work.  I have no problem with the idea of "exercise". The real problem is this NO ONE DOES THEM.  For me, it is just far, far easier, to just put a plus lens for all close work, and check my own refraction - myself.

Why do so many people have problems with that concept?

Here is a David DeAnglis video on, "eye exercise".  David wore a plus - as he slowly got back to 20/20 - yet that is not mentioned in this video.

The other problem - if you are serious, you should have a Snellen chart up - and have the gumption to accept long-term plus wear - as the "price tag" for long-term prevention.

This is a good video - to cover this subject.  Please listen to how she describes, "standard prescription" practice.  It is about 17 minutes in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM8DQX-gWPE

The problem with people who "start doing exercise", is that they never look at a Snellen.  Then they complain that, "... I saw no progress...".

I will include the remarks of a women who states that she had been doing "improvement" for 20 years, and "saw no improvement."

+++++

By Lao Spranaman -

I've been working on vision improvement for almost 20 years.

I've been working with David DeAngelis' book Power Vision Systems.

Specifically, there are 3 methods - slow, medium and advanced. Has anyone had any success? What kind of program worked?

I am trying to design a program that incorporates everything I know, and can be done in about 15"/day, or as this woman shares, 30" every other day.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:14:50 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline HansK

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »
This video discusses Todd's D1 and D2 idea.  There is some discussion of the need to wear a plus for all close work.  I have no problem with the idea of "exercise". The real problem is this NO ONE DOES THEM.  For me, it is just far, far easier, to just put a plus lens for all close work, and check my own refraction - myself.

You can use a plus with no benefit, if you read too close. While reading, I always make sure I do "print-pushing", mostly reading with a slight blur. I wear a +1 lens which gives me sharp vision until 40 cm. But I can also read at 50 cm, but with a slight blur. So I read between 40 cm and 50 cm, trying to increase the distance - with no success.

A -1.5 lens gives me sharp vision. With a -1.25 lens, there is a slight blur. It is now almost 1 year starting "vision rehab" and I have seen no result. I made sure I read with a slight blur, distance vision (wearing a -1 lens) with a slight (or moderate, but not excessive) blur (but not for driving or reading tiny graphs in lecture: There, I wear a -1.5 lens). Myopia progression has been stopped successfully, but unfortunately no improvement.

So you ask yourself: What did I do wrong? How did Todd manage to get rid of his glasses? I do what he explains in his presentation, but as I have said: I can't improve my distance vision.

My Snellen score is between 20/30 (best) and 20/60 (worst), mostly 20/40 to 20/50.

I tried staring to clear the blur, also blinking etc. Sometimes, I see temporary improvements (20/30) but no consistent improvement.

So I do not know how to proceed.

Kind regards,
Hans

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
Hi HansK,

I am deeply impressed by your intelligence on this subject.  I think this is the wrong question you are asking:

Hans> So you ask yourself: What did I do wrong?

Otis> I would concentrate on what you are doing RIGHT.  If I knew you when you were younger, I would have insisted that you start wearing a strong plus (assuming 20/30 to 20/20 vision). But you are wise at this point.

Otis> You should understand this issue as an absolute FACT.  If you do not wear the plus, not only will you distant vision not get better, but rather it will go down at a steady rate  of -1/2 diopter per year, FOR EACH YEAR IN COLLEGE.  If you not believe me in this scientific truth - then tell me.

Otis>  If that sense you are doing everything right.  Just keeping your vision as passing the required DMV line of 20/40, is indeed success - by that definition.  Yes, I know you want to do better, and some people like Todd, get to 20/20. 

Otis> The other issue, is going "cold turkey", that I suggest.  That means wearing no -1.5 diopter contact lens.  It means squinting at times.  (There is one exception - and that is driving a car.)

Otis> With respect to "EndMyopia", I know how hard it is to wear the plus - though the school years. Yet that is exactly what my nephew, convinced himself to do. Because he always did it, he kept his distant vision in the 20/30 to 20/20 range.  That is why prevention is so damn difficult.

Otis> I think you must continue to wear the plus, and try "stronger plus" at time for all close work.  But - on a bright Snellen - you see 20/40 to 20/30, which means you can keep that minus lens off your face.

Otis> I know how hard it is to "resist", that minus lens, but you are in a position to almost totally avoid it.  But, from my nephew, and his success, you must continue to wear a plus though the school years.  That is how difficult this subject is for all of us.

Otis> This is also way this type of true-prevention, can NEVER be prescribed.  This is why your intelligence, to accept that -1/2 diopters per year, is so critical to define success - for the next six years.

You can use a plus with no benefit, if you read too close. While reading, I always make sure I do "print-pushing", mostly reading with a slight blur. I wear a +1 lens which gives me sharp vision until 40 cm. But I can also read at 50 cm, but with a slight blur. So I read between 40 cm and 50 cm, trying to increase the distance - with no success.

A -1.5 lens gives me sharp vision. With a -1.25 lens, there is a slight blur. It is now almost 1 year starting "vision rehab" and I have seen no result. I made sure I read with a slight blur, distance vision (wearing a -1 lens) with a slight (or moderate, but not excessive) blur (but not for driving or reading tiny graphs in lecture: There, I wear a -1.5 lens). Myopia progression has been stopped successfully, but unfortunately no improvement.

So you ask yourself: What did I do wrong? How did Todd manage to get rid of his glasses? I do what he explains in his presentation, but as I have said: I can't improve my distance vision.

My Snellen score is between 20/30 (best) and 20/60 (worst), mostly 20/40 to 20/50.

I tried staring to clear the blur, also blinking etc. Sometimes, I see temporary improvements (20/30) but no consistent improvement.

Kind regards,
Hans

Offline User1235

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:46:13 AM »
Just wanted to give some advice.You seem to be stuck Hansk are you sure you did active focus?I dont see any reason why you cant progress.Maybe you can check out the endmyopia website to see if you are doing active focus correctly.http://endmyopia.org/active-focus-links/. But if i were you i would kick it up a notch and wear a stronger plus.I also recommend reading the hocus focus thread.It seemed helpful to me though i have not had the time to really try it out everyday(going to do that after my major exam)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:58:54 AM by User1235 »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
Hi User -

Like you, I find that most people seek to "blame others", the OD or MD, rather than take rational responsibility for themselves - when a modicum of prevention is possible.  This works, even with people who have a -1 to -2 prescription.  But the failure is that a person refuses to believe that his vision is going to go down by an additional -2 diopters - in a four year college.  So they can not be "bothered" with wearing a strong plus for near - and no minus lens for distance.  As you show - people are over-prescribed.

http://endmyopia.org/tori-two-whole-diopters-less-and-still-2015/

I am against making "claims", since few people have the knowledge and wisdom to accept long-term plus wear - as required.  But I would suggest that if a person seriously doubts that -1/2 diopter per year, they read this book, and think about it.

http://www.i-see.org/otis_brown/

This is not even in "scope" by anyone who is medical.  Stop blaming them for the problem.  Try making and educated choice.  Only you can make a difference.

++++

Jake –
As you no doubt know – the vast population is always over-prescribed by from -1 to -2 diopters – when if they checked – they would pass the 20/40 line. Why is this true?

As you have discovered, over-prescription in an OD’s shop is the order of the day. Why?

Because they KNOW your vision is going to get “much worse”, in the next year, and they want to “stay ahead” of that worse vision, that develops from long-term close work.

They do not want you to come back, and say, “my vision is worse, and the minus you gave me 6 months ago, did not help.”
It is much easier, to explain this to a person, at 20/40, and self-measured -1.5 diopters, and send him to YOUR PROGRAM, so that he never gets into this, “minus lens trap” – in the first place.

No OD gives you the credit for self-checking, and self-prevention. I wish they would “rise” about their office concerns – and help me avoid becoming nearsighted. They could do this by becoming completely honest with me about my visual future. Your site is about the need for this honesty.
Thanks!

Just wanted to give some advice.You seem to be stuck Hansk are you sure you did active focus?I dont see any reason why you cant progress.Maybe you can check out the endmyopia website to see if you are doing active focus correctly.http://endmyopia.org/active-focus-links/. But if i were you i would kick it up a notch and wear a stronger plus.I also recommend reading the hocus focus thread.It seemed helpful to me though i have not had the time to really try it out everyday(going to do that after my major exam)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:30:13 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline mantasva

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:44:58 PM »

Kind regards,
Hans

Do not give up man! I suggest joining endmyopia. You could even pay for program and get personal suggestons from Jake. I have read that there was one man who did not improve his eyesight too . He was drinking wine every day and guess what, after he stopped drinking wine his vision began improving. Also do make sure you never do close up with you distance lenses and your reading distance should be slightly blurrd so you eyes can clear it up after some time( active focus) otherwise if it is too blurry eyes will not even try.