Author Topic: Some Progress  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Blue Eyes

Some Progress
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:17:47 AM »
I was not sure whether to post this but here goes.

Short background - I spend most of my day working on a computer which doesn't help.  I am a 53 year male and have been wearing glasses since my teens and was -3.5 and -5.25 measured a few months ago.

I have found several techniques that work for me after many years of working on my vision.  Effectively what I try to do is to release tension that is causing my bad vision.  The toxins that are release normally come out as tears but can also  come out as a mucus.

My vision is improving with better sharpness.  I can now make out details in the distance more regularly.  For me I can more easily temporarily clear my distant vision looking outside but it takes more effort to  temporarily clear it indoors. I have now though worked out several ways of clearing tension indoors or when watching TV.  In fact what works really well for me is to obtain clear vision flash indoors and then go for a walk outside and work on clearing my distant vision.   

I big eureka moment for me was realizing that working indirectly or directly on the muscles around  the eyes will not damage them or worsen my vision.     By this I mean gently forcing the eyes opened.

An interesting observation is that as tension is released it is like a layer of film sliding off  from across the eye ball itself. 

Another observation is that I have lots of tension in my face and around my nose so I have to release it there to improve my vision.  I have also go to do the same for the tension around the bottom of my eye socket and the only way I can do that is to pull my cheeks down. Posture also makes a difference of course. 

Noticed that its the tense muscles that distorts eyeball which effectively acts as a clenched fist around the eye.  Objective then is to open up that fist. It took me a while to workout what what happening as the improvements evolved. I could see something positive  happening but wasn't sure what I was doing.  I now know that I am opening my eye wide and placing it into where it would normally be if it hadn't been squeezed out of place.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:12:22 AM by Blue Eyes »

Offline strongmama

Re: Some Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 06:35:57 AM »
Great! I also feel a sensation near my nose when I have the clearest vision, so I must be holding some tension there, but I still haven't mastered making the release voluntary. Do you have any favorite stretches or exercises that you do?

Offline User1235

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:16:28 AM »
Do you guys feel anything behind your eyeballs?I seem to get that weird feeling when print pushing and clearing things whenever i have that feelinng my vision is always clearer than usual.

Offline Blue Eyes

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »
Great! I also feel a sensation near my nose when I have the clearest vision, so I must be holding some tension there, but I still haven't mastered making the release voluntary. Do you have any favorite stretches or exercises that you do?

I normally have to do this out of sight of people.  One that I do is to open the mouth and then pull down and out with the cheeks which highlights where some tension currently is.  I then find an object to focus on. I used to just wait for it to come into focus but now I sweep up and down it with my mind - so the sweeping is just pure intention.  Its the sweeping that creates motion in the eye which after some time hopefully leads to tears.
I also do Darth vador type breathing which is critical. What this does is that it adds definition to the tension and makes it easier to identify, hold in and then release.

This is an easy one to do when watching TV   

Offline Blue Eyes

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
I wasn't going to make an update here so quickly but...

I have been doing this for too many years to realize what a false dawn is when you think you have found something that works but then progress stops.  And this may be just another of that false dawns where you think you have found the answer to a quick shortcut to fix your vision.  But here goes..  BTW I am an engineer and take a certain approach to this.

Word of warning that this is an advanced technique and is not mainstream.   

I am not sure if it taken for granted here that poor vision is caused by muscles round the eye that have gone into a spasm and so have pushed the eye  out of it natural alignment.   The PVS technique believed this and worked on fixing the extra-ocular muscles.  I had limited success here and based on its forum so did most people.

I have recently been working quite a bit on forcing my eye wide open and combining that with the breath, relaxation and sweeping and have been shocked with my progress.  I am now seeing details in places that for years never existed as my eyes never went there.  I am hopeful that this will lead me back to 20/20 vision.

What I would say is that I can now see why most people like me with very bad  vision fail to make progress.   The reason is that the tension around the eyes is in a place that will never fix be fixed using just + lenses or  techniques that work on vision or relaxation alone.    You have to manipulate the eyes muscles in some way which you then add to your vision improvement exercises.

In my case it all about seeing how much tears can be created  and the more the better.  To me it now looks like its the ciliary muscles play a part in cause back vision and more so then the extra-ocular.

Offline rtdfgdfgdfgdfg

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
what is he technique ?

Offline strongmama

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 05:37:19 AM »
I agree that the best answer seems to be a combination of stretches/relaxation and changing the stimulus to more positive. I had good success with Bates exercises while in college, but I didn't know about the stimulus side of things and kept up my bad habits of too much reading at once. I would literally have perfect vision one day then go study and be bad again. I thought it was the stress, but I believe if I'd been using plus lenses that would've made the clear vision stay longer.

And I don't feel anything behind my eye, mainly on the side of my nose. My mild astigmatism angle is against the rule (90 on one eye, 95 on the other), so it makes sense to me that it would be those muscles. Does anyone else notice a correspondence between the muscles where you feel the tension release and the angle of astigmatism?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
Hi Strongmama,

Here is a video of the required Snellen.  I do this myself.  I write in big letters the number of each line - so I can read them at 20 feet.

I suspect that most people do not have even that interest - to be objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUkoSSgVOs

I do agree - this is NOT OPTOMETRY.  No OD has the interest, and few people in the "general public" have any interest.

Enjoy,

Offline Blue Eyes

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »
The technique is quite simple and is combination of different things that have worked for me in the past.  My objective has been maximum benefit for minimum effort. As I said earlier it has taken me years to get here.

So essentially its combination of a sweeping (up/down, side to side, rotations, etc ) or tracing motion with opening eye wide (maybe  with fingers for a short period) coupled with the breath.   The breath is really key here and is really the secret ingredients. 

The sweeping can be any object close or far and can be any level of detail.  I was a little dubious with slightly forced open my eyes at first but it does seem to do any harm. In fact the opposite because it seems to do two things; first it takes the eye somewhere where its not used to being and when its there you may see clearly  with the sweeping. The other and probably more important benefit is that it moves or offsets the eye muscles and may even push them back into proper alignment.

Now the breathing technique is where you need a leap of faith. Its something I picked up in yoga call Ujjayi Breathing.  I suggest you google it but is a form of conscious breathing that seems to a healing effect on the stretched muscles. It's the healing that causes the tears and allows you to feel and even maintain the tension before letting it go.   

Offline Blue Eyes

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:20:31 AM »
And I don't feel anything behind my eye, mainly on the side of my nose. My mild astigmatism angle is against the rule (90 on one eye, 95 on the other), so it makes sense to me that it would be those muscles. Does anyone else notice a correspondence between the muscles where you feel the tension release and the angle of astigmatism?

I am still working things out but I too have lots of tension around the nose.  With my technique though it should be dead easy to identify and fix things.  in my case the fix has been to pull apart the muscles around the nose whilst doing the breathing, sweeping stuff.   The effect of moving the muscles should offset your vision and then you use the breathing and sweeping to work out where the tension is in you nose.  The objective is tears and again in my case pulling the muscles either with your hands or  using the cheek muscles you may even feel the muscles "letting go" from your nose. 

If you are really serious about this then I suggest you google Ujjayi breathing.     Without Ujjayi breathing then you are  just stretching and is not this technique.