Author Topic: For an OD, their title of "Doctor" is more important than ...  (Read 1510 times)

Offline OtisBrown

For an OD, their title of "Doctor" is more important than ...
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
Dear Friends,

I often thought that some wise ODs would realize that the "minus" was a bad idea (at best),
and insist that their own children BEGIN wearing a plus when still reading the 20/30 line (self-measured -3/4 diopters).

I admit it.  I was totally mistaken.

https://myopiafree.wordpress.com/od-myopic-kids/

This is why I do not "fight" with a man who will not help his own children.

Now - I MUST do prevention myself.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: For an OD, their title of "Doctor" is more important than ...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:30:32 AM »
Dear Friends,

I know how hard it is to deal with the “general public”, so I can’t complain about this issue.

But when it comes to your own children, perhaps you can learn to “do better”.

I know that I have no control – over anything you  might choose to do about this issue.

I always hope that an intelligent person can “rise” the the scientific challenge – before he starts wearing that
excessive minus – all the time.

Background:  1)  Atropine is a high risk poison.  2) The minus lens is not much better.

++++++

Subject: Putting a poison (atropine) in a child's eyes - which seems "OK".

I always “choke up” at this level of stupidity.  It is a crime – but the OD in his office loves to impress the patient about
this new drug that is going to, “Cure Nearsightedness”.  The long-term effect of doing this to an innocent child – are not known at this time.
But that does not “slow them down”.

The minus lens has adverse, long-term effects.  The plus, used under personal control, when you still can read the 20/40 line (self-measured
-3/4 diopters) can produce a “change of refractive state” of about +1 diopters in one year.  A person who understand this – can
do it at NO COST TO HIM.   But it does take deep insights of pure science.

Here is the full article – for your interest.  My vision is far more valuable to me – that to ever allow this to happen – A SECOND TIME.

Otis

++++++++++++++++

From: “The Week” Magazine, Dec. 4 2015, “Health and science”, Page 21

“CURBING NEARSIGHTEDNESS”

http://endmyopia.org/matt-50-prescription-reduction-since-2014/

Picture, (Looking though minus glasses at a distant scene).
Caption: “Eye drops could slow the progress of myopia.”

Myopia, or nearsightedness, affects more than 40 percent of Americans and a growing number of children around the world.

But new research suggests this modern-day epidemic could be cured by simple eye drops. While the effect of nearsightedness are easily
corrected with glasses or contact lenses, the condition can sometimes lead to more serious eye disorders, such as glaucoma, macular
degeneration, and premature cataracts.

In a five year trial on 400 children ages 6 to 12, scientists in Singapore examined whether daily doses of atropine, a powerful medication
used to treat lazy eye, could help prevent myopia from worsening. They found it could — and, to their surprise, that the lowest doss
was the most effective.

That’s significant, because in high doses, atropine can cause side effects, including light sensitivity and blurry vision.
“We slowed the progression of myopia by 50 percent,” the study’s lead author, Donald tran, tells, “The Washington Post”.
“For the first time, we might have a treatment for myopia in children that looks to be effective.

======

These ODs do not want to know about the damage they are doing with this drug.  I hope you never have this
prescribed for your child.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:32:17 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline User1235

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:54:09 AM »
“We slowed the progression of myopia by 50 percent,” the study’s lead author, Donald tran, tells, “The Washington Post”.
“For the first time, we might have a treatment for myopia in children that looks to be effective.

If you take off the minus for close up and read at a suitable distance you can stop myopia progression much more effectively. What's so great about slowing myopia progression by 50% with all the fancy expensive and possibly dangerous stuff?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:06:23 AM »
Hi User,

Let me be clear.  The minus lens works - and I understand it that way, and I do not 'fight it'.  But the issue of atropine is very serious, and I object in a very strong way.  Here are the reasons.

What they mean by, "effective", is that they "collect money", on a steady basis (i.e., daily doses of atropine).  The intention is NEVER effective prevention.  It is that they can "sell" you a poison, that will cause you to have -6 diopters, rather than -9 diopters.

That type of "solution" is a mean spirited fraud.  But that is how they "make their money".  I can accept that a minus lens (that is indeed impressive), is a default solution, that does not "help" anything, but if you can not read the 20/60 line - you will have to get it.

If any OD "offered" you atropine for your child, I would hope that they insisted that you sign a waver, to have you know that atropine is a poison, and that long-term health effects are NOT KNOWN AT THIS TIME.

They get a SLIGHT effect from a poison drug, and they promote it  as WONDERFUL.  This is deeply disturbing about the entire profession.

If you take off the minus for close up and read at a suitable distance you can stop myopia progression much more effectively. What's so great about slowing myopia progression by 50% with all the fancy expensive and possibly dangerous stuff?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:58:09 AM by OtisBrown »