Author Topic: My Experiment with Accomodative Training  (Read 1026 times)

Offline strongmama

My Experiment with Accomodative Training
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:22:23 AM »
I found this study http://journals.lww.com/optvissci/Fulltext/2009/11000/Accommodative_Training_to_Reduce_Nearwork_Induced.11.aspx and actually replicated it for 6 weeks, 5 days a week, 20 minutes per day. My husband is doing official vision therapy homework for crossed eyes, so why not make it family eye exercise time? I admit that it was not totally scientific because I have no way to measure my accommodative lag. I know that I have one and that it makes a big difference, like a couple of Snellen lines sometimes. I am myopic but have never worn glasses because I always knew my vision fluctuated based on how I was feeling and I had no need to drive so fluctuations are ok. I saw this study and thought it would help me. It could help you, too. It says the people in the study were wearing contacts, but it doesn't say what power. Anyway, I admit I have no objective measurement of my lag, but I can tell it has improved because I can clear the +2 on the flippers faster. The distance I stand from the Hart chart has not changed, but I do see it sharper from the same distance and less double vision from my eye with more astigmatism on the close chart.

sidenote: HIGHLY recommend the book "Eyes for Learning" by Orfield. Wonderful! I now understand exactly what was going on to bring my husband and myself to where we are today with our different conditions. If I didn't start doing these preventative things now, I would develop one eye for close and one for far and end up with double vision.

If you want to try it, here's a list of supplies:
* Hart chart near and far
* eyepatch
* +/-2 flippers
* 6pd prism trial lens I held with my hand
* red/green glasses with the green removed and able to change which side the red is on

Also, I changed the first exercise to work the saccadic movements, going alternate columns towards the middle on the Hart chart. My husband was given this for homework awhile ago and it seems much more effective than just reading several lines.

Any questions, just ask! I plan to continue these and try some exercises I've come up with that would be the next level. Meanwhile, I also wear the pushing plus for close work and a mild plus while fixing and eating breakfast.