Author Topic: How long does it take ?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline foie

How long does it take ?
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:30:56 AM »
Hello, i m new in the forum and i don t speak english very well ...  :-\
 I began the program PVS and print pushing 30 mn by day and i would want how many diopters you can improve by year .( With eye rolls 3x by week and CRB 30 mn by day ) . Some people( like Otis Brown) said 0.5 diopter by year. Is it real ? Jake steiner told about 0.75 or 1 diopter by year .... Amazing ?

Thanks for you answer

Offline OtisBrown

Re: How long does it take ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:05:09 AM »
Hi Foie,

I do not make claims.  What I do suggest (and hope) is that you get your own Snellen, put a bright light on it and read it.  This is your first objective test - that means something.

If you have a weak prescription - you must get the answer you want.  One thing I do accept, is that I must do it myself.  I think the value of +1/2 to +1 diopter per year, is correct.  But, that it not the entire story.  Checking your own Snellen (how ever difficult) is part of the story.  Accepting a reasonable goal, in terms of self-checked visual acuity - is a step forward.   Best of luck.

I began the program PVS and print pushing 30 mn by day and i would want how many diopters you can improve by year .( With eye rolls 3x by week and CRB 30 mn by day ) . Some people( like Otis Brown) said 0.5 diopter by year. Is it real ? Jake steiner told about 0.75 or 1 diopter by year .... Amazing ?

Thanks for you answer

Offline foie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »
Hi Otis, i m glad to chat with you. I read all your posts wich are a good help for me !
Actually i read 30 mn by day a snellen chart on a tv screen with good contrast and try to read the smallests lines.
How many minutes by day are good enough to make good improvements in your opinion ?( On Jake steiner's site it is said 20 mn by day 3 times by day ...)

Cordially

Offline trappedeye

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »
Otis,

Any idea what I can use instead of a Snellen.

My eyesight is so bad -8 DP, I don't think the Snellen will work. Unless I reconfigure the distances. COuld I do that? Change the normal viewing distance expected by the Snellen?

TE

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 04:43:08 AM »
Hi Foie,

I think the most important part of prevention, is setting a REASONABLE GOAL, for yourself.  If you have a weak prescription, you should read this Snellen chart:

http://www.i-see.org/block_letter_eye_chart.pdf

When you ask, "how long it will take", it is impossible to answer.  For me, I wear a plus for all close work, not just 30 minutes a day - but always.

If you have a prescription, you might tell us what it is.  But - you should rely on yourself for all measurements.  I accept exceeding the 20/40 line by your own self-measurements - to be reasonable objective goal, for  you as well as me.

Let us know about where you stand on reading that Snellen at 6 meters, or 20 feet.  The 20/40 letters are 1.9 cm high.

It does take a long-time to get results - I think we ALL AGREE ON THAT POINT.

Offline foie

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 05:06:17 AM »
Hi Otis,
My OD's prescription today is -4.5D for both eyes. Since one year i wear -3.5 contact lenses left and right to stimulate my eyesight. When i do close up works i wear on my contact lenses +1.5 glasses.
But i cant see improvements.(or very very very small improvement ...) (Maybe  because poor daylight in winter season ...)
 I m a little disappointed !
Ps: my snellen chart is at 6m and i practice every day since 1 month

cordially

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
Hi Foie,

As you know, one man, posting here, had a -4 diopter prescription.  After about 2 months of work, he could read the 20/40 line (naked eye), which
will pass the DMV (Driver license) requirement.  This is indeed a rare event.

Others, such as yourself - see no result.  Results are indeed, not predictable.  But it is always good, after a lot of work, to check your own Snellen, and not rely on an OD in his office, who has no interest in any of this work.

Best,

Hi Otis,
My OD's prescription today is -4.5D for both eyes. Since one year i wear -3.5 contact lenses left and right to stimulate my eyesight. When i do close up works i wear on my contact lenses +1.5 glasses.
But i cant see improvements.(or very very very small improvement ...) (Maybe  because poor daylight in winter season ...)

cordially

Offline rtdfgdfgdfgdfg

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »
Hi Foie,

As you know, one man, posting here, had a -4 diopter prescription.  After about 2 months of work, he could read the 20/40 line (naked eye), which
will pass the DMV (Driver license) requirement.  This is indeed a rare event.

Others, such as yourself - see no result.  Results are indeed, not predictable.  But it is always good, after a lot of work, to check your own Snellen, and not rely on an OD in his office, who has no interest in any of this work.

Best,

Hi Otis,

cordially

what did he do ? just print push ??

Offline rtdfgdfgdfgdfg

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »

Thanks for you answer

I think 3 months to see an improvement is more realistic.

print push everyday for 3 months.

when you see improvements and can't push your PC screen back any further, use a plus lens.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »

Thanks for you answer

I think 3 months to see an improvement is more realistic.

print push everyday for 3 months.

when you see improvements and can't push your PC screen back any further, use a plus lens.

From the dozens of people sharing their experience here, all I can say is "your results may vary".  Some, particular those in their teens or twenties, have seen rapid results within 3 months.  Others, see a fraction of a diopter after a year.  Others see ZERO progress. 

Another common observation is that progress is not linear or steady -- it tends to come in sudden spurts and shifts.  You may see no improvement whatsoever for 2 or 3 months, then suddenly one day you will see sharp images, perhaps as a double image.  Then 3 months later another big jump.

It is important to be diligent, consistent and patient.  Don't thrown in the towel if you see no progress for weeks.  Test yourself regularly using a Snellen chart, since that may pick up small improvements that you otherwise would not notice in daily life.   And if your routine is not work, come back and read through the many posts on this forum for other ideas.

Also consider your diet.  That can be a big factor.  It's been discussed a lot on this forum, so if you read and search you'll find some suggestions about diet.

Todd

Why are the results variable?