Author Topic: World's FIRST: Optometrist helps his own children, avoid myopia entry.  (Read 104 times)

Offline OtisBrown

I do consider that "just prevention" is very difficult.  For that reason, I do not allow myself to become a critic of an optometrist.

Here is Optometrist Antonio Medina, and his wisdom, to insist that his own two children wear a plus, correctly, before their refractive STATE goes below 0.0 diopters (so called emmetropia).

Some "Jargon" is used, in optometry.  The word, "Hyperopia", sounds like a defect.  It is not, it is a positive STATE of the natural eye, when understood as science.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10792-017-0493-7

Here is the seven page description of how Antonio kept his kids wearing the plus for 9 years.

http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1007/s10792-017-0493-7?author_access_token=nc8cpBu7h8o85eM7S3DfdPe4RwlQNchNByi7wbcMAY6TinzaoqS5man6iTYNMTNfjE3RggL-tV6wjuaLU1L89KRBFfQf7NrSwMNm_pFPhTLlWQpRr09toUbkQBUCmFrCdQgSGGLr1gvalFbY3Aug0Q%3D%3D

While the results are very clear, since Antonio made the measurements, it is also clear that the general public (you and I) would reject the concept of  wearing a plus for "just prevention".

But this is the first time that an OD, or anyone has truly conducted a scientific effort, that is successful.

Enjoy,

Offline OtisBrown

Re: World's FIRST: Optometrist helps his own children, avoid myopia entry.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
What Antonio's results suggest, about Todd's use of the plus, and passing the 20/40 line, and then the 20/20 line - under your control.

Todd strongly wore a plus, from "mild myopia".  He did, what Antonio's kids were forced to do.  He slowly got a refractive change, from negative value (of refractive status) to a positive value (positive refraction, not a defect or error.)

Todd's success - is made credible by the fact that an optometrist saw in advance that his children would become myopic, unless they wore a plus, long-term for prevention.

The only objective measurement required, is that you not be "deeper" than 20/50, and you make your own refractive measurements.  Getting a positive refractive change, of +3/4 diopters, is a VERY SLOW PROCESS, not for those with a casual interest.

Antonio's work, shows that he had no fear of his kids wearing a plus.  There is no harm from wearing a plus correctly.  That is the lesson we should learn from Antonio.