Author Topic: EndMyopia - A complaint about expensive glasses.  (Read 12571 times)

Offline OtisBrown

EndMyopia - A complaint about expensive glasses.
« on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »
Glasses are expensive.  Jake proposes to end myopia, and reduce the cost of lenses.

http://endmyopia.org/expensive-glasses-the-shocking-scale-of-the-lens-ripoff/

The minus, worn all the time is not a "good thing", and produces more myopia,
not less myopia.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:54:18 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Wheelie

Re: EndMyopia - A complaint about expensive glasses.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:12:24 AM »
Hi,

Glasses aren't that expensive and myopes can't really do without them.
Because of close work with glasses on, my myopia became worse, but after one day of wearing a plus lense (before knowing the full method) my old glasses were as new. -4 & -3.75 eyes and +2, couldn't see a thing :)

What I think is a ripoff is charging $7500 for 3 consults with a 'guru', no results guaranteed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:18:08 AM by Wheelie »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »
Hi Wheelie,

I personally make no claims of success.  I discourage a person from believing you can get out of anything more than a mild prescription.

People get "down to", -4, to -9 diopters, BECAUSE they would REJECT wise wearing of a plus, when they could still read the 20/40 line (self-measured
-1.0 diopter).

As far as the costs (to me) to protect my distant vision by wearing a plus, for all close work?

The cost is nothing.

Enjoy,

Hi,

Glasses aren't that expensive and myopes can't really do without them.
Because of close work with glasses on, my myopia became worse, but after one day of wearing a plus lense (before knowing the full method) my old glasses were as new. -4 & -3.75 eyes and +2, couldn't see a thing :)

What I think is a ripoff is charging $7500 for 3 consults with a 'guru', no results guaranteed.

Offline Wheelie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
Hi Otis,

Do you know what the 60 sessions of endmyopia consist of? Jake says it's totally different from gettingstronger and DeAngelis. $1200 is too much to find out. :)

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »
Hi Wheelie,

$2,500 for one consultation.  Where did you come up with that number??

The choice to spend money - is always up to the person himself.

Typical OD exam and glasses normally costs $150 for the exam, and $150 for glasses, for the total of $300.

But if you like special glasses - it can get up to $500.

Personally, I just check my own Snellen, use my own trial lens set, and order my own glasses from Zenniopitcal for about $10.00

That saves me $300 -$10 = $290.00

I always use a pinhole lens, on my Snellen to look for a medical condition. 

What Jake states is true.  The information is indeed free - you can take it or leave it. 

Enjoy,

Hi Otis,

Do you know what the 60 sessions of endmyopia consist of? Jake says it's totally different from gettingstronger and DeAngelis. $1200 is too much to find out. :)

Offline Wheelie

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 06:34:01 AM »
I looked at zennioptical before for the $10 glasses, but I couldn't find them, but now I see it, it's only $6.95 for 1.50  glasses. I bought glasses from eBay for $1.50, but these are inferior quality with a very yellow tint, it also arrived broken :) .

I have -4.5, for close work what I need should be calculated from the distance,  on the blur line, right? Like for 1 meter distance I need -3.5.
I don't know what I should get for far distance, what do you recommend?  I don't have a snellen.

$7500 stated here
http://www.jakesteiner.com/consults/

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 06:38:02 AM »
Hi Wheelie,

From the posts here, I find HONEST -4.5 diopter people, that probably can  not get results.  Then I encounter people with a -4.5 diopter, who are probably over-prescribed - by quite a bit.  But I never know.

That is why  I it is necessary to down-load a Snellen - and check yourself.

A -4.5 means you can read at 10 inches - and blurry beyond that point.

I looked at zennioptical before for the $10 glasses, but I couldn't find them, but now I see it, it's only $6.95 for 1.50  glasses. I bought glasses from eBay for $1.50, but these are inferior quality with a very yellow tint, it also arrived broken :) .

I have -4.5, for close work what I need should be calculated from the distance,  on the blur line, right? Like for 1 meter distance I need -3.5.
I don't know what I should get for far distance, what do you recommend?  I don't have a snellen.

$7500 stated here
http://www.jakesteiner.com/consults/

Offline Wheelie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 06:45:40 AM »
I forgot to ask: should I add the cilinder to the glasses from zennioptical, or isn't it necessary?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 07:20:27 AM »
Hi,

Wh> I have -4.5, for close work what I need should be calculated from the distance,  on the blur line, right?

Otis>I do not understand - you have a -4.5 for close work?  Do you need a lens that strong for all close work.  Did your OD tell you
to wear a strong minus for close work?

Otis> A distance of 50 cm, is a power of 2 diopters.  Thus, if you have a -4.5 to give you 20/20, or even 20/15, and 20/10 vision, you should be
able to reduce that by about 2 diopters, or use a -2.5 diopter for reading.  Does this make sense to you - with all due respect.

Wh>  Like for 1 meter distance I need -3.5.

Otis> If you do not have a Snellen - you are wasting the time of both of us.

I forgot to ask: should I add the cilinder to the glasses from zennioptical, or isn't it necessary?

Offline Wheelie

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »
Yeah,  I understand, thanks.

Are there snellen charts out there for smaller distances, 10ft (3m) instead of 20ft?

Are astigmatism correction  necessary?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
Hi Wheelie,
Let us  be brutally honest with you.  At -4.5 diopters, I doubt that you can achieve any result.  Your vision was permanently lost, when you were
prescribed and wore, that FIRST strong minus lens all the time (when you could still read the 20/40 line).   

Now, it is simply do late - to do anything about it.

To answer your question:  Here is a how to make a Snellen for 10 feet use.

Download this chart:

https://myopiafree.wordpress.com/eye-chart/

Then double the number on the line, i.e., the 20/20 line becomes 20/40, if you read it at 10 feet.

Here is an Electronic Snellen:  Just press "Display" several times to get 20/60 lettters.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html

Then select "10  feet" to read at 10 feet.

Very easy to use.

Your question on astigmatism: 

If less that 1.5 diopters, I simply divide this number by 2, and add it to my Spherical measurement.

For example

-1 Sph.,  -1 Astig @ 60 degrees.

Converted - becomes

-1 -0.5 = -1.5 spherical equivalent.

Enjoy,

Yeah,  I understand, thanks.

Are there snellen charts out there for smaller distances, 10ft (3m) instead of 20ft?

Are astigmatism correction  necessary?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:32:23 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Wheelie

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
Thanks going to print it when I have the chance.
If improvement at -4.5 is impossible, are the testimonials and forum posts of people who reduced their high myopia, on endmyopia org fake then?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
Hi Whe,

I did not say, "IMPOSSIBLE".  I said, very difficult.  The issues is this.  People, you, me, are VERY DIFFERENT.  What works for me, probably will NOT work for you.  This is why prescribing is impossible.  This is why I ask a person to look at his own Snellen, and check his refraction HIMSELF.  No OD is interested, and will deny ALL SUCCESS.  Here is what a co-worker Dennis did - totally "on his own".  I absolutely did not expect this result.

AN ENGINEER'S UNEXPECTED SUCCESS

Perhaps the most surprising and encouraging result to be achieved was accomplished by accident. Because of my long-term experience with the experimental data, I knew that recovery -- on the average -- would be slow. Anyone who attempts to use the plus lens wants to succeed. It makes sense to help people who have gotten into about 20/80. Any improvement will get you to 20/50, which passes the FAA 3rd class flying license. Recovery, if you are worse than 20/100, is difficult but possible. To present all the facts including surprising results, I asked Dennis to write a letter describing his efforts and ultimate result.

VISION RESTORATION: THE EFFECT THAT A POSITIVE LENS HAD ON MY DISTANT VISION

Dennis Romich, July 21, 1992

My distance vision had been poor for many years. I had overheard Otis Brown discussing nearsightedness, and his suggested technique for restoring the myopic eye to normal. Without telling Otis, I decided to attempt to use the plus lens, and see what would happen, since the approach seemed reasonable and much safer than any other method.

I obtained a plus lens at a local store without a prescription. The lens was a +1.5 diopter lens and is commonly sold as a reading glass for people who have lost their near vision.

I had become nearsighted in grade school and was prescribed minus lenses which I dutifully wore all day long. As the years went by, my vision worsened, and the Doctor would prescribe stronger minus lens. My distance vision without prescription lenses was very bad through high school, college, and graduate school. The last professional check (Ophthalmologist) showed that my prescription was -4.5 diopters (Right eye) and -4.25 diopters (Left eye). This is approximately 20/320 vision using the Snellen eye chart. In some states, I would be classed as legally blind without my glasses.

As I wore the plus-lens and did not wear the minus lens, I noticed that my distance vision began to clear. After several weeks, I purchased Otis' book, and checked my eyes against the eye chart. They were 20/30, which means I will pass the standard driver's license criteria of 20/40 or better without prescription lenses.

Otis was surprised at this effect of the plus lens. He stated that most individuals could return their vision from 20/70 to 20/20, but he felt that returning vision from 20/320 to 20/30 was hard to believe. Since I have done it successfully, I have no doubt that other individuals who have a similar problem could obtain similar results using Otis' recommended method of vision restoration.

I am a registered professional engineer, and have a Master's degree in both Engineering and Business Administration.

+++++++++++++++

I wish you luck, with what ever choice you make.

Enjoy !

Thanks going to print it when I have the chance.
If improvement at -4.5 is impossible, are the testimonials and forum posts of people who reduced their high myopia, on endmyopia org fake then?

Offline Wheelie

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »
You said you doubt any results can be achieved at -4.5, I thought you meant impossible.
But he wore plus lenses at -4.5 / -4.25? Isn't that against the method described on gettingstronger and DeAngelis'?
I have done this too and my vision seemed to have  improved too.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
Hi Whe,

I am not part of "Getting Stronger", nor am I part of "DeAngellis".  How do you jump to that conclusion?

What i report is pure facts - and then you can judge these issues yourself.

1) I have a copy of Denis' prescription.
2) I have a copy of Denis' driver license, also (AFTER he went and passed their OBJECTIVE test. )

ISSUES:

Now, with those facts, you can reach several conclusions:

1) I am lying.
2) Denis is lying
3) There was a gross incompetent measurement, made by the OD.
4) This was a miracle - that was a "once in blue moon" event.
5) It NEVER HAPPENED, because all ODs say it will never happen.

It is all a matter of your own personal judgment - isn't it?

I will not take is beyond this point.  Now please speculate about your judgment.

Over-prescribed?  Check yourself - because you can never trust the OD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZekQzSS0CE

Dennis' experience, was that he was OVER-PRESCRIBED - that it always true from an OD.

You said you doubt any results can be achieved at -4.5, I thought you meant impossible.
But he wore plus lenses at -4.5 / -4.25? Isn't that against the method described on gettingstronger and DeAngelis'?
I have done this too and my vision seemed to have  improved too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:04:42 PM by OtisBrown »