Author Topic: Prevention is a black hole for medical people.  (Read 1010 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Prevention is a black hole for medical people.
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
Subject: The writing is on the wall, (or in red ink on the glass).  The minus will destroy your vision - permanently.

Question:  Has Jake "gone to far", when he advocates prevention, and argues against the "traditional minus lens"?

http://endmyopia.org/27438-2/

In the final analysis, only YOUR education and MOTIVATION, can answer that question.

You must keep a "sense of humor" about these issues - or otherwise you would go crazy.

So Jake wants to, "Change the World".  More power to him.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:41:13 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Prevention is a black hole for medical people.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:12:12 AM »
Dear Relative -- (wore the plus though four years of college).

Prevention, as I advocate it, is always personal. 

It simply can not be medicine, nor delivered as medicine.

I regret it, but that it the truth of it.

I pity the person who believes that anyone medical can help either you or me with this subject.

The ophthalmologist has already “given up” on you – before you enter his office.

As science, I can not “give up” on  you.

++++++++++++++

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 8:10 PM

Subject:  David is an ophthalmologist, and a good friend.

To Don Rehm:

I admire David greatly – as an ultimate medical expert.

For all practical purposes, he represents  the N. E. I. position on "pure prevention"

=======

Hi Otis –

You can probably leave me off the list that you send to.  I am glad to know that you are committed, and we know how to reach other in the future if needed,
but I have too many other projects going on to pay much attention to the myopia story just now.

David

=======

You can not force a medical person to do a prevention study, when he simply does not have time to do it.

There is no sense in requesting it, or even proposing it.

For myself, I believe that a person must understand why that can not, and will never exist, a “medical” prevention effort.

The reasons are many.

If you wish prevention, and can still read the 20/40 line, you will have to do it yourself.

This is why I have a person, actually read his own Snellen, (at verified 20/40), and just tell him, entering a four year college,
that he will just have to, accept that –1/2 diopter per year, (for each year), and wear the plus until he gets to the 20/25 to 20/20 range.

Even when he gets to self-measured 20/20, he still must accept that –1/2 diopter per year, and CONTINUE TO WEAR the plus, for all close work.

The success is this.  It does not cost anything, other than this success is not medical, or a medical procedure.

Further, no one  in medicine, believes, that the type of prevention, is even possible.  (The doubt the intellectual capability of the person himself.
Now that I am “back to 20/20”, I just make all measurements myself – as an ‘exercise” in doing what is necessary.

I will not “bother” David any more.   But  - if a person wishes to protect his distant vision – he will have to do it totally on his ability.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:36:44 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: Prevention is a black hole for medical people.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »
Here is a German  Dr. Frank Schaeffel who admits that near stress can cause myopia but at the end he messes all and picks a test of huge undercorrection (about 1 diopter) to say that undercorrection not only is useless but can do harm on human while on animals  "if you put lenses on an animal, it will become far-sighted"....

http://www.dw.com/en/nearsightedness-and-the-education-connection/a-18767917