Author Topic: Why I fear wearing the minus - when I can pass the 20/40 line.  (Read 1555 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Why I fear wearing the minus - when I can pass the 20/40 line.
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:28:02 AM »

Few people take the time to understand this issue - when they get their FIRST strong minus.  They think there is NO RISK to wearing a -2.0 diopter, when you can personally verify you read the 20/40 line on home Snellen chart.  There is nothing "trivial" about plus-prevention when at 20/40, and entering college.   

My great fear – of even starting to wear that FIRST strong minus lens – is stated here.

http://endmyopia.org/lasik-should-be-an-epic-scandal/

I know, and I agree, that starting to wear a plus (for all close work), when at a self-measured 20/40, is difficult. People hate the idea of the self-discipline of long-term wearing of a plus. But the consequences of starting to wear a minus, is a rapid loss of your distant vision. Then, want could have been temporary, becomes permanent. You should be informed of this problem – before you even start wearing a minus lens. Our vision, if not protected with a plus, goes down at a rate of -1/2 diopter per year. This is a normal, natural process – that we should understand. You should challenge it, and examine this statement. But the choice to reject wearing a plus, leasds ever downward.

An educated person should be taught this, while he can still read the 20/30 to 20/40 line, and in sheer self-defense, measure his own refraction with his own “test lenses”. The plus is not a short-term solution. It is absolutely not medical in character. There is no way to reverse it, beyond 20/40.

No one will volunteer this information to you – which is profoundly tragic, for your life, and your long-term vision.

Offline kuber

Re: Why I fear wearing the minus - when I can pass the 20/40 line.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 02:47:44 AM »
SO now i can see 20/30 in bright sunlight outdoors .
I also can makeout  few letters on the 20/20line.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:46:49 AM »
Hi Kuber,

This is an area, where you have the power to make a choice.  From all that I have seen, you should be able to pass the required
DMV test, which is reading the 20/40 line, with both eyes open - under their illumination condition.  I think you should go
pass their test, for your own satisfaction, and to be objective about all of this.

Getting a change from 20/30, to 20/25 is indeed a slow process.  You alone will know your own results.  Both eyes change
very slowly in a positive direction, from long-term wearing of a plus for all close work.  That is why I am wearing a +2.75 diopter,
as i type this.

Medical people have no interest in your success. (I will post their remark about this in due course.)  Tragically,
if you go to an OD, he will prescribe you a -1.25 diopter.  If it were me, I would decline the strong minus, continue
to wear a plus for all close work, and expect to get to the 20/25 to 20/20 range in about six months. 

This is not for the faint hearted.  If you wanted to qualify as a pilot,  you would do it.

The following is my opinion, about the type of help I wish I knew about when I was still reading the 20/40 line.

(I will never get this help from an OD in his office - and I understand why not. )

==========

Dear Friends,

Prevention is possible, at 20/40, (self-measured -1 diopter).

But it does depend on a person's goal, and ability to measure his own refractive state - on a regular basis.

Frank Young, proved that if you do not wear the plus (at -1 diopter) at age  6, your refractive STATE will go down
at a rate of -1/2 diopter per year, for EACH YEAR IN SCHOOL.

You tell me that, when I am at -1 diopter, (20/40), and I will understand that prevention is an "either/or" choice,
where if I refuse to wear a strong plus, I will lose my distant vision permanently.

I have never "blamed" the OD or MD for this extremely difficult problem.  I just need to be informed of my choice - when I can get myself out of it,
against that proven -1/2 diopter per year.

There will be no possibility of getting out of it - if I START WEARING A MINUS LENS, WHEN AT 20/40.

Let us place responsibility where it truly belongs - with the educated person himself.

The wrong choice - leads to permanent myopia.  Let us not kid ourselves on that point.

I certainly do not kid a person about scientific truth on this issue.

Enjoy the discussions.

SO now i can see 20/30 in bright sunlight outdoors .
I also can makeout  few letters on the 20/20line.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:27:17 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline EugeneS

• Club Kozak
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »
I wish I was at -1 !  :)  -5 &-7 in the other..a real uphill battle....

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »

Hi Eugene -
That is always amazing to me !!  One person, posting here, was at -1 diopter, (about 20/40), and said he worked on it - and saw NO CHANGE.  (I never argue with that person.)  The next person, from a previous -5 and -7, very slowly gets to the point where he objectively reads the 20/40 line (all that is legally required) under HIS control.

I just ask the person to self-check his own bright Snellen, and, if in the range of 20/40 to 20/70, plan on long-term wearing of a plus.  (I support all methods a person can devise, but I do insist on no "optometrist involvement".

In the final analysis - it is completely personal, and objective.  ( Just very reluctantly suggest that it is possible to get back to 20/40, if the person has a strong minus on his face - I hate to miss-lead a person about potential success.)

But - a strong congratulations to you - by making yourself , "legal normal", by Todd's advice, and by your own intelligence and persistence.

I wish I was at -1 !  :)  -5 &-7 in the other..a real uphill battle....

Offline EugeneS

• Club Kozak
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:10:56 AM »
Thank you Otis for the support! I've been training people in other things, but this is one that I have to really work on myself, as I've been years with glasses/contact lenses. A hard struggle especially at my level  :-[
I wake up in the morning and don't wear the contacts up to an hour.
 Luckily I'm not on the computer for that many hours a day. I sit far back. I've tried to not wear them and work on computer, but I'm too close and my posture gets bad. I'm going start wearing plus lenses over the contacts while at the computer, at a greater distance.
It's easier for me to do active focusing without contacts/glasses while reading a book/newspaper.
I'm due soon for an examine with my optometrist. I'm curious if he'd give me weaker lenses...?