Author Topic: The big lie in optometry. I am tired of being cheated by ODs.  (Read 1721 times)

Offline OtisBrown

It is not good to state proven scientific lie - to pacify the public.

I am tired of this lie.  Are you tired of it?  Or perhaps you just do not care?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rona5mjzd-I

I can accept being told that prevention is extremely difficult.  I accept that an OD will never help you.  I accept that if you wish
prevention (with a mild prescription) you can not "work" with an OD who makes this statement - and NOT with
and OD who believes this statement.

Here is the scientific truth.

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/neg_lens_induce_myopia.swf

It is up to you to figure what the truth is.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:35:21 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: The big lie in optometry. I am tired of being cheated by ODs.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:13:04 AM »

Optometrist's statement - about pure science.

http://endmyopia.org/three-mammals-and-a-bird/

I know how difficult, "just prevention" is, for the person who can still read the 20/40 line, in high school.

I just say this - tell me the scientific truth - and I will take care of my distant vision - myself.

My eyes do not belong to an "OD in his shop".  They BELONG TO ME.  I need the education, so
that I am not cheated by being put into a strong minus lens that is dead certain to make me
profoundly myopic.

It is your choice.  Do you want science, or do you want a quick fix minus.  Wearing of
that minus will prevent the possibility of any recovery - once you start wearing it.

Even the WISE ODS know this truth.

Offline EugeneS

• Club Kozak
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »
How true Otis!
Many(not all) in the medical field don't talk much about prevention. Typical example: overweight person walks into a clinic complaining of knee pain, doc would just prescribe some meds and if worsening surgery. No discussion of maybe trying to loose some weight to lessen the strain on the knees...of course not!
There are those that do help, but I find a vast majority don't. Why? because many people just want fast results!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 04:02:17 AM »
Hi Eugene,

If ODs kept their mouth shut, and did not insist that a minus lens has NO EFFECT - then I would not argue with them.  The problem is,
that their sweeping statement - has NO VERIFICATION IN SCIENCE.

I do not get involved in "claims" - excessively.  But it clear that people do get a positive refractive change from using various method.

Personally, I would never depend on a "refractive measurement" made by an OD - because they are so bad.  What I would rely on is
your "home Snellen" - with big letters.   I also make my own refractive measurements - but when I make them, I believe and trust them.

As always, exceeding the 20/40 line, is crucial.  Going from 20/40 to 20/20 is indeed a very slow process - that no one can speed up.

http://endmyopia.org/omar-reduced-from-1-00-to-0-25-in-six-months/

Actually 20/25 is excellent vision.  But disciplining yourself to wear the plus (the way I do) seems un-reasonable to most people.
I do not know why.  I think they are afraid of something.

If you want to qualify as a FAA pilot, then you must read the 20/20 line - but very few people have THAT type of motivation.

How true Otis!
Many(not all) in the medical field don't talk much about prevention. Typical example: overweight person walks into a clinic complaining of knee pain, doc would just prescribe some meds and if worsening surgery. No discussion of maybe trying to loose some weight to lessen the strain on the knees...of course not!
There are those that do help, but I find a vast majority don't. Why? because many people just want fast results!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:25:40 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »

The BIG TRUTH - by an OPHTHALMOLOGIST.

(Insists her own grand children - wear a plus for all close work - with 20/20 in the children. )

=======
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Kaisu Viikari <kaisu.viikari@gmail.com> wrote:

My daughters daughter Tea's (two "clever" physicians not understanding my insight - BUT THE HUSBAND, just 2 weeks in Amerika because of the huge project of Helsinki and its surrounds big hospitals computer care) ad they children, Lilja nearly 5 years and Wiljami 2½ years, both have eyglasses +4.0 which they want immediately in the morning!!!

They have noticed how reliewing it is to live with them!

So should the 7 billions inhabitants of the globe do!!

Kaisu

======

By Peter Greene,

Kaisu,   if we understand your letter above, you yourself

have prescribed  +4.00 diopter lenses to  your grand-children,

ages 2.5 and 5,  yes  ?  ( I say prescribed, because here, in the
US, the strongest available pharmacy  power is +3.25 D. )

surely, this is the sort of thing that should be properly
reported in an Ophthal or Optom journal, yes ?   Peter

PS    we stand at the ready to help you when possible !

PSST   Keep up the good work !

Peter