Author Topic: Astigmatism from print pushing!!!  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Chelsee

Re: Astigmatism from print pushing!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »
Otis, I read that you used the positive lens therapy with both your niece and nephew. You have stated that it did in fact work for your nephew but I heard it did not work for your niece. Why did this therapy not work for your niece?

Offline infinitesimal

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 02:49:08 AM »
Here's an update from yours truly.

Since doing pulling focus in shopping malls my left eye has improved to -0.5 (last time I posted it was between -0.75 and -1).
My right eye has improved  as much as my left eye but that eye until recently had to contend with (severe) astigmatism, in other words my right eye can see all the way to -0.5 (even -0.25 at times) but the letters are seen in duplicate or triplicate or let's just say whatever crap astigmatism can come up with to spoil the image my right is able to produce.  Not satisfactory at all to say the least. So in a desperate effort to improve my right eye I tried print-pushing on only my right eye again but once more proving that this method worsens the astigmatism... This is not because of using plus lenses - I use plus lenses for near work - but the effort of trying to see beyond the blur horizon with plus lenses. Again I think print-pushing is a tool to combat moderate/high myopia but once your eyes enter the zero to -1 realm it's not that great a tool anymore.

There may be a solution to the astigmatism problem however, I read that looking at clouds or birds fly in the air might reduce astigmatism. So I incorporated this method in my daily pulling focus routine and lo & behold my astigmatism  is finally fading a little. Last night I was able to report that the top lines of the snellen chart for my right eye was almost astigmatism free, which is to state that the astigmatism is not that obvious anymore with the bigger letters. So I have a pretty good feeling that one day my right eye will draw level with my left eye...

I'm not saying this is the holy grail to subdue astigmatism but apparently staring at clouds or watching birds fly works for me.

How are you doing with pulling focus SlightlyMyopic?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 08:46:52 AM »
Otis, I read that you used the positive lens therapy with both your niece and nephew. You have stated that it did in fact work for your nephew but I heard it did not work for your niece. Why did this therapy not work for your niece?

Hi Chelsee -
There were three children.  They all wore a plus.  I only asked that they EXCEED the 20/40 line - if they were interested!
They are now 50 +  years old.  They all pass the DMV - to the best of my knowledge.  To me - that is success.
To you - maybe it is not success?

But what you need to know, is what always happens - if you start wearing a minus lens. 
Briefly - your refraction goes down, down, down, for each year you wear that minus.  It is a rate of -1/2 diotper per year.
So I argue that to "just stay out", means NEVER WEAR A MINUS LENS.

To "never wear a minus", means objectively exceeding the 20/40 line - by self checking. That is what they did.

In the "grand scheme of things", if you always objectively pass the DMV - you are successful.

If you even start wearing a minus - your distant vision is going to be permanently lost.

Offline infinitesimal

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »
Otis@ distant vision permanently lost because one starts wearing a minus lens???

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 05:59:41 AM »
Otis@ distant vision permanently lost because one starts wearing a minus lens???

I think a child's distant vision "starts becoming negative" - when they do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9NVanfnwjY&t=0s

This subject is FORBIDDEN in optometry.  But should always be discussed.  This is DENIAL of science and fact in optometry,
but proven in science - if you have a scientific mind.  The OD gets this child "in his office", and the child has 20/30.  So
the child gets a -2.5 diopter.  That is why this problem becomes permanent.  It is also why an OD WILL REFUSE TO
DISCUSS THIS ISSUE WITH YOU.    That is why I do not bother with them.

But, I always look at science itself - and expect the parent to understand that if you are prepared to begin
wearing a plus at 20/60, you MIGHT be able to get to objective 20/40. 

Enjoy,

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:05:15 PM by OtisBrown »