Author Topic: Neuroplasticity and functional recovery  (Read 2477 times)

Offline jared33

Neuroplasticity and functional recovery
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:08:09 AM »
I can chime in here on the virtues of constraint induced movement therapy.  My brother is a professional pianist and years ago he had to stop performing in concerts because he had developed a condition called focal dystonia.  He could not move the fingers in his right hand separately, they all moved together as a group.  It was devastating.  The treatment was constraint induced movement therapy, similar to what is described on the Rehabilitation page.  Basically, for several weeks, or maybe it was months, he had to wear a mitt that held certain fingers and let him move only one finger at a time. It was very hard work, many hours, very monotonous.  Eventually he could move his fingers separately again.  And now he can play concerts again!  It was amazing, because before the CI therapy, there was not much hope for musicians in this situation.

I really like the philosophy of "you can improve yourself" through rebuilding your capabilities, not relying on crutches or drugs.  Hormetism is empowering!