Author Topic: New Prescription- added cylinder back on - Update  (Read 1317 times)

Offline rajaty

New Prescription- added cylinder back on - Update
« on: October 05, 2016, 02:28:33 AM »
My starting prescription  was-
1) right eye- -2 sph -1.75 cyl
2) left eye      -2 sph  -0.75 cyl

I had been ignoring cylinder all this while in my reduced distance vision prescription. So I never knew, how much exactly my eyes are getting better. I was using -1 for distance.

Yesterday went to optometrist and got a new prescript
1) right eye- -0.75 sph -.75 cyl
2) left eye      -0.75 sph  -0.5 cyl

with this i could see 20/20 on sellen, both eyes open,  with some ghosting, although was able to see every single letter. Took a walk with this prescription i could read almost all sign boards, although not crystal sharp.

My next goal is to reduce astigmatism by .25 every 15 days...I think removing all cylinder at once wasn't such a great idea.
As for plus, I use +1  4-5 hours a day in office, in the evening while playing soccer and watching tv, i use my reduced prescription.

Weekend exercise- watch birds trajectory for an hour using a +2.

I've stopped using high plus, since i got floaters and i am scared what caused them.  Pretty confident low plus is harmless.

Offline rajaty

Re: New Prescription- added cylinder back on - Update
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:16:47 AM »
Why do people say, reduce astigmatism and add spherical.

What if i do the opposite.

Next correction i ll reduce my sph by .25 and increase cyl by .5 ...
then spend month reducing that cylinder by .25 each and follow the same cycle

Algo
Wear plus 4-5 hours a day for near vision.
For far vision.
Afte 4 weeks
reduce sphe by .25
increase cyl by .5
After 2 weeks
reduce cyl by.25
After 2 weeks
reduce cyl .25
Repeat

Outcome sph reduced by .25 cyl remains same. Visual cortex is happy.

That is my plan. 

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 05:47:36 AM »
"Why do people say, reduce astigmatism and add spherical."
At low astigmatism and near distance one might even not notice diplopia even without cylinders.
I think astigmatism is harder to deal.

Offline rajaty

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:16 PM »
What i wanted to say was, that may be if cyl is less ahrmful than sph why not replace some sph and by cyl and try reducing cyl.

Will let you know about ym progress.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
I hope you succeed  rajaty.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 03:27:36 AM »
What i wanted to say was, that may be if cyl is less ahrmful than sph why not replace some sph and by cyl and try reducing cyl.

Will let you know about ym progress.

Here is the reason, almost no one "need" a cylinder.  I personally check with my own sphere minus lenses - and they work great.

http://endmyopia.org/jaanus-optometrist-astigmatism-correction-rare-serious-cases/

This also, is a matter of your educated judgment.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:12:20 AM »
I see endless, claims.  Perhaps OK.  I support EndMyopia, because someone needs to stand up and fight this deadly minus lens.
Here is my opinion, and why I restrict what I say to only prevention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUE5jX3DZuE

This does support TODD, no doubt.  Combining this with "exercise" - would be very wise.
But UNDERSTANDING the need for long-term plus wearing - is very difficult for almost everyone. 

Enjoy,

Offline rajaty

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 01:45:04 AM »
I appreciate your efforts OTIS.

I started with a -0.5 and ended with combined -3 cyl+sph.

I think there needs to be a law, whenever a optometrist prescribes a minus lens  less than -1, he/she clearly needs to state that

1) Use it only and only in places where you FUNCTIONAL life is disrupted. for example at very back of your class.
2) Do not use for computer work, clear explanation what will happen to your eye if you use minus lens for near work.

I've currently made 3 kids in my locality ditch their -0.5 lens with very recent prescription.  Asking them to wear plus is however difficult. Happy if they get out of school without a minus. They can take their own decision for wearing plus after 18.

Offline j23

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 01:33:33 AM »
I've currently made 3 kids in my locality ditch their -0.5 lens with very recent prescription. Asking them to wear plus is however difficult. Happy if they get out of school without a minus. They can take their own decision for wearing plus after 18.

I do not know how old are the kids you mentioned , but I am sure by not wearing they will not recover (if it was the case everybody would recover :) automatically). Maybe if their parents  could access http://www.preventmyopia.org/ videos this would help to understand.

When I was 14 years old  - I got -0.5 (matching my cycloplegic refractive error ) - at my country we do not go to optometrist but an eye doctor so then they are able to measure true error. I was never wearing but at the same time I did not change my habits for computers and near work.
It is alawys going only worse then. My doughter who was so clever that when first diagnosed for myopia at 10 years old - she had -1,5 -2.0 S.E with some astigmatism (cycloplegic refractive error). As she is reading a lot, and playing computer it was not going to improve any better (after a year of not using it was slightly worse, especially weaker eye).

So not wearing is not a cure.

For plus wearing - you may be correct that taking on cylinder should help PLUS teraphy - as then the eye is not confused if there is focus or not.
I have this very often - if the eye is strained to its limits to see double or distorted image via 1 eye (after PLUS wearing) as my cycloplegic cylinder is -0.75 in weaker eye. If I did not progress soon then I will consider this modification on myself.

My starting prescription  was-
1) right eye- -2 sph -1.75 cyl
2) left eye      -2 sph  -0.75 cyl

Yesterday went to optometrist and got a new prescript
1) right eye- -0.75 sph -.75 cyl
2) left eye      -0.75 sph  -0.5 cyl
with this i could see 20/20 on sellen, both eyes open,

It is very misleading to measure both eyes open then the better eye gives most of the vision. So maybe the progress was from what Otis used to mention - overprescribed in the first place, and then you underprescribe ?

I am sceptical that you are able to maintain this pace of progress. Maybe at start it was possible, but in the long run rather .25 improvement per 3 months is a reasonable expectation. Comparing this to other activities like running - if you had never run, then after some weeks you can be noticably better until you reach your 100% activated physical limits. .

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:53:19 AM by j23 »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
Hi J23 -

I think our innocent question, "Can you cure myopia", leads to consternation in an OD and MD - mind.

They will never talk to you about wise wearing of a plus - when you can still read the 20/40 line (self-measure -1 diopter).
THEY would measure -2.5 diopters !!  (This is why I self-measure.)

But it is worse than that - they are angry that you think you can prevent - and they KNOW you can not do that.

Here is a video that reviews that "medical anger" - that prevents any intellectual discussion about the need
to wear a "preventive plus" when you could still get out of it - with a plus.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo7v7iOfsapIH0o51RWIwgw

How would I have "reacted" - if I  had been presented with science and facts - when I was at 20/40, and -1 diopter).

Quite frankly - I do not know! 

But I do know - that if science were presented to me (as I now know it), I would have understood that at 20/40, I had an "either-or" choice to make.

Either I took long-term plus wearing very seriously, and stayed bettter than 20/40, or I would LOSE my distant vision at a rate
of -1/2 diopter per year - FOR EACH YEAR IN SCHOOL.

That is more than a warning.  It is scientific truth. 

So you hate the idea of long-term plus wearing (when at 20/40). The say bye  bye to your distant vision - permanently.