Author Topic: For the beginner - Scientific truth - trumps the minus lens.  (Read 599 times)

Offline OtisBrown

For the beginner - Scientific truth - trumps the minus lens.
« on: November 12, 2016, 07:01:05 AM »

I spent a very long time - looking for an OD who would EXPLAIN this tragic situation to me!
I accept that the "minus" is very easy - in an office.  I accept that few people will accept the concept that we must get "rid of", our "near" with an intelligent plus lens.  This is indeed a long-term proposition.  I would urge a person to NEVER get into an "eye length" argument with an OD.  Because "eye length" - is never measured.   I will post the science (for all natural eyes) that shows or suggests that a "minus", used as an instant quick-fix, in fact is a long-term problem - and makes matters get, "out of hand" - rapidly.

NOTE: This is pure science - for all natural eyes.  If you can "make this connection", you might be able to convince yourself to 1) Avoid the minus lens (assuming self-checked 20/40), and accept long-term plus wear, starting in High School. 

(See the attached posts - about objective science.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:15:26 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: For the beginner - Scientific truth - trumps the minus lens.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:04:50 AM »
Do you want the pure scientific answer - or do you want the "box camera" answer?

This is the question that troubled me the most.  It is a matter of very serious science.  It is necessary to stop talking about, "length", which is always speculation, and talk ONLY about what you actually measure, (refractive STATE).  That is how to clarify this issue - and avoid "medical debates" - that produce only anger and confusion.

To simplify - does the natural eye, control its refractive STATE - based on its average value of accommodation?  To answer this question, you need to experiment on the normal primate eye - with a -3 diopter lens, and eyes with normal refractive states.

A -3 diopter lens will change the average accommodation signal by about +3 diopters.  That is the only objective issue you must understand.  The refractive state, was measured with atropine or other "freezing" drug.

The expected result of the "box camera" theory, is that the normal eye - will never change its refractive STATE, based on a proven change in average accommodation.  Her is the animation of this defining scientific experiment:

The resultant change in refractive STATE, (please IGNORE length change - it is not proven).

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/neg_lens_induce_myopia.swf

The refractive STATE change - is proven science.  Do not speculate about "length" - is has no meaning.

Equally, the question - will changing the accommodation direction - have a similar effect. Here is the result:i

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/pos_lens_induce_hyperopia.swf

This is pure-science.  It is totally ignored in medicine.  You are not expected to be smart enough to understand
this critical science - of all natural eyes.

The rest - is up to you!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 07:08:28 AM »
For me - perhaps alone - that proven dynamic behavior of all natural eyes - is final.

What concerns me - is the fact that NO OD will "volunteer" this information to you - when you NEED IT THE MOST.

Our eyes do not "become defective" because we change our "average" value of accommodation, from intense close work. (No stress, no strain - at all). No, they simply change their refractive STATE at a rate of -1/2 diopter  per year, year after year after year.  It is important to know this - while you can still read the 20/40 line and AVOID starting with a minus, while hope can still exist for you. 

Telling you the truth, is indeed the "Elephant in the Room".  It is your ignorance of science - that will kill your vision - permanently. 
I only ask an OD to TELL ME, about this issue - while I can still personally, "save my vision" - for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJmtiIxb9E0

I do not conduct a "popularity contest". Far from it.  I just want to be told scientific truth - in which case if I do not start wearing a plus, in high school, I WILL LOSE MY VISION.

This decision is too critical - to be relegated to an "OD IN HIS OFFICE".  Yet it is always the OD in his office - who is the "Elephant in the Room".  Science is better than that

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »
What do the ODs KNOW - and refuse to talk about?

It is the proven -1/2 diopter per year - if you even START wearing a strong minus lens - when you still have 20/40. The above science - shows how bad the minus lens - based on science, not on "medical opinion".

How do they excuse this ignorance?  The simply say that this, -1/2 diopter per year (proven) .... is NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY!

By what "rationality" do they reject this science. They just simply say, "... it is all  YOUR, bad heredity".

This is indeed a tragic "sucker punch", when you EXPECTED THEM  to tell you scientific truth - and encourage you to protect your distant vision for life - even if you must do it yourself.

But the requirement for long-term plus wearing (scientific proof), is very serious.  Very few people are willing to do this - for themselves.  The proof comes from a 5 year study with children - who wore the plus - and saved their vision.

For a mature adult - who can understand this issue - results can be much better.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 07:20:38 AM »
Is ANYONE successful - when he accepts that long-term plus wearing - is required.

Here are remarks from my nephew, Keith B., who heard what I said about the need to 1) Never wear a minus lens 2) Wear a plus for all close work - during college, 3) Always check and pass the 20/40 line, and 4) The plus is safe - and the minus lens is dangerous - as science shows it to be.  Keith is now over  50 years old.  I admire his success !

=======

From Dr. Raphaelson's experience with, "The Printer's Son", (Chapter 3), it has become clear that you must understand the bad results that occur when you use the negative lens. More than this, Jacob's analysis demonstrated that even a completely dedicated eye doctor can not overcome the popular misconceptions that exists in the public's mind about eye doctors and the use of the preventive lens.

I made a major effort to help my niece and nephew. They developed a clear understanding of the problem of nearsightedness and the type or solution that could be expected. I believe that providing them with a "fighting chance" to defeat the problem is better than providing no chance at all. Both used the plus lens and retained clear distant vision without prescription lenses. They understood that it would take long-term commitment to achieve the desired result. I asked my nephew to write a short note to describe his own effort and outcome as he worked to maintain clear distant vision through college.

FOUR YEARS OF COLLEGE WEARING A PLUS LENS

Dear Uncle,          February 19, 1990

Thank you very much for the book, "How to Avoid
Nearsightedness".  I got it yesterday after I came back from the
weekend.  I am looking forward to reading it soon, but for now I
have a great deal of school work to read.

I would imagine you'll be pleased to have me tell you that
one of the first things I did after opening your book was to check
my eyes with the eye chart.  I am able to read the 20/20 line on
the eye-chart. I have been using my drug store plus lenses most
of the time now.  I have always passed the driver's license eye
test.

I use these glasses nearly 100 percent of the time when I
read text books and use them for about 70 percent of the total
reading I do.  I started using them as much as possible again
because, at the end of last semester my sight was pretty bad (I
didn't check them on a chart).  I am lucky to have an uncle who
showed me back in eighth grade that I could prevent my