Author Topic: Barefoot running  (Read 6900 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
Barefoot running
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »
Great post on the blog site about barefoot running!  I have tried it on two different days now. I started to get a few blisters on my heel and ball of my feet, but these have toughened up and I will run again today.  I'm thinking about getting the Vibrams. I checked our the Run Bare site and they recommend toughening up your feet by running barefoot before you go to Vibrams: http://www.runbare.com/446/how-to-transition-into-vibram-five-fingers/

Offline Moonbeam

Re: Barefoot running
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:05:25 PM »
Are you running outside or on a treadmill? 

Offline jared33

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:47:51 PM »
Well I finally bought some Vibrams to try out barefoot (or almost barefoot) running.  It's quite fun, I ran along a dirt path that follows one of the roads here.  I may have overdone it a bit, because I went for a 5 mile run.  I notice my calves are a bit sore and stiff, but not overly so.  I think I'll wait several days for the soreness to go away and try it again.  I'm interested to hear anyone else's experience with barefoot running, and whether it makes a difference between wearing Vibrams and really going barefoot.

Offline jared33

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
I've been enjoying running in my Vibrams the past four months.  With the colder whether I may try some other minimalist footwear like the New Balance Minimus shoes.  There's a great site that has tons of information on all things related to barefoot, Vibram or minimalist footwear: http://birthdayshoes.com/

Any other barefoot/minimalist footwear runners here?

jared

Offline Micheal Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »
i have also read a related blog , that says that there are different ways of ruining , one increases your weight other reduces .

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 04:26:08 AM »
I have read many times this thing , But it is true there is no offence in it or no deny to this thing .

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
Last April, I ran as one member of a 12-person team in a 200-mile relay from Napa to Santa Cruz, California. Each person ran 3 legs of about 4-7 miles each.  My total distance was about 17 miles.  It was my first serious long distance running event, beyond a few local 5K and 10K races.  It was thrilling and got me over my fear that I could not do that.

In the past year, I've done some barefoot running and running with Vibram 5-fingers.  I have typically been alternating between shoes and Vibrams, but I'm now running almost exclusively in the Vibrams, because its fun and it really has strengthened my calves.  I've described the benefits in my post on
The paradox of barefoot running.

And now I'm planning to run in the Relay again, but I'm think I'm going to do it wearing the Vibrams!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:55:21 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline Aamir

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 02:47:20 AM »
Hi Runner,
This was new information for me. thanks for the share and link.
Just want to know does it have any age or weight limit?
Are there any advices you want to share with beginners?

Offline UrsusMinor

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
Hi. I've been running in Vibrams for a little over a year.

I don't think there are any age (I'm 57) or weight limits that are any different from running in general.

But--and that's a really big BUT--you need to start with very low distances and pay incredible attention to form. Land very light. Concentrate on short, rapid, springy strides, and don't land on your heels. Just having the feedback from the bottoms of your feet helps with form, but you should pay conscious attention as well. (When I first started I found I had to chant "light, light, light" under my breath to remind myself.

The best advice I ever had was from someone who told me to run as if you were trying to sneak up on something--soundless, quick, short paces.

A lot of people overdo it and end up with calf overstrain, Achilles problems, top-of-foot pain. Your legs and feet are used to shoes, and so all that connective tissue and muscle is used to being shortened because of elevated heels. You can't change that overnight...or even in a couple of years.

Offline Halsey

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
Hi Runner,
This was new information for me. thanks for the share and link.
Just want to know does it have any age or weight limit?
Are there any advices you want to share with beginners?
Hello Amir i hope you are working well to keep you fit....
What about boby? Did he join you in running or not???
See you tomorrow at your home..

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
Hi Todd,

Here is a video on running that should be of interest to the group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PN8kljU7c8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I think this is truly tough -- but that is what your site is all about.

Best,

Otis

Last April, I ran as one member of a 12-person team in a 200-mile relay from Napa to Santa Cruz, California. Each person ran 3 legs of about 4-7 miles each.  My total distance was about 17 miles.  It was my first serious long distance running event, beyond a few local 5K and 10K races.  It was thrilling and got me over my fear that I could not do that.

In the past year, I've done some barefoot running and running with Vibram 5-fingers.  I have typically been alternating between shoes and Vibrams, but I'm now running almost exclusively in the Vibrams, because its fun and it really has strengthened my calves.  I've described the benefits in my post on
The paradox of barefoot running.

And now I'm planning to run in the Relay again, but I'm think I'm going to do it wearing the Vibrams!

Offline Jertive

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 04:15:32 AM »
It is good to run with barefoot.I also do running by barefoot in the morning.It is a healthy exercise and we can get a better health with this tool.

Offline Esmond

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:29:05 AM »
Hi Runner,
I tried once running barefooted on my friend's advice but hurt my ankle.
Never tried barefooted running again. Went to my old path with my joggers after recovering.

Offline shadowfoot

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »
Esmond,

As UrsusMinor said, you need to train the previously unused parts of your feet and ankles very slowly or else you risk injury. Classic example of hormesis. What you're saying is kind of like saying I went out in the sun because my friend told me I could get a tan and look good that way . . . but I burned myself and never went out in the sun without sunblock again.

Offline yourits007

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
what is difference between Barefoot running and with shoe running
i don't think so its well do much difference