Author Topic: Lunch time work outs  (Read 5680 times)

Offline SUGARDUDE

Lunch time work outs
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
I am basically limited to about 1.25 hours at lunch to exercise. the good news is that my place of work is right across the street from a gym.

What would be the best use of my time in terms of using the gym. Normally I try to fit in a resistance work out that tagets a specific group of muscles and 30 minutes of cardio, but with the time limitation it is sometimes difficult.

Thoughts?

Offline Doodlebug

Re: Lunch time work outs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
I follow the "Power of 10" type of workout by Adam Zickerman. He has written a good book about this:
http://www.amazon.com/Power-10-Once-Week-Revolution/dp/0060008881

His routine is a very condensed, high intensity workout that only takes about 20-25 minutes once or twice a week. You might think that's too short, but believe me, it is really intense. You do less than 10 reps of each weight, with a very slow 10 seconds up and tens seconds down, with no rest between reps, until you basically reach the point of muscle failure.  You exhaust each muscle group and rotate through them all. It requires intense focus, and really gets your heart pumping. This kind of heart pumping is much more "aerobic" than treadmills and stair climbers. You don't want to do this more than twice a week, because it takes time for your muscles to repair and build strength.

Should fit into your lunch hour.  

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:28:19 PM by Doodlebug »

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:12:26 AM »
Thanks Doodlebug !! This sounds great !!

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
I've read the book and I'm going to start next Tuesday. Funny thing is he advocates for the 6 meals a day diet plan and against fasting. Figures.

Offline Doodlebug

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
Yeah, I know, Zickerman goes for the 6 meal a day thing. My personal opinion, I would never trust a trainer about diet, and never trust a diet guy on training.  You will find several other books on slow cadence & high intensity training that recommend fewer meals or even intermittent fasting, like "Slow Burn" by Fred Hahn.  He works closely with Michael Eades, who as you know is the low carb guy, who also believes in intermittent fasting, I think.  And also there's Doug McGuff, who wrote Body by Science, and Brad Pilon of Eat-Stop-Eat. And check out Fitness Black Book too.  So fitness advice and diet advice are two different things.  You have to find what works for you in each area.

Offline Doodlebug

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »
Sugardude,

I was reading the Fitness Blackbook site that is linked on Todd's site, and was interested to see that Rusty Moore is a big advocate of intermittent fasting combined with intensive workouts.  And look at that guy!  He has posted an interesting study that shows that short term fasting actually increases metabolism, which contradicts the old myth of "starvation" mode.  Apparently the reduced blood sugar turns on your adrenaline type hormones and this raises your metabolism:

Metabolic rate does not slow down during short-term fasting. It actually increases slightly. That’s probably the complete opposite from what you’ve heard, but this is an undisputed fact. It takes more than three days without food before metabolic rate is negatively affected via down-regulation of thyroid activity. That skipping breakfast or missing a meal affects metabolic rate, a myth still propagated in the fitness and health community, is ludicrous.

Here's a link to the study: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/71/6/1511

Good luck with your workouts!

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:43:38 PM »
I'm on board with the IF. 6 meals a day is a pain in the ass.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »
I notice that the once a week workouts are really no different than the twice a week workouts. I lke theida of only working out once a week but I want to make sure i'm hitting the main muscle groups. It seems like his workouts of 6 exercises leave stuff out.

Thoughs Doodlebug?

Offline Moonbeam

Sugardude, you're lucky you have time to exercise during your workday.  Do you sit most of the day at work?  I do, and it really sucked to find out recently that it's extremely bad to sit a lot even if you try to exercise when you can.  Prolonged sitting causes obesity, heart disease, and more.

I can get up frequently for five to fifteen minutes and move around; I think I'll try to figure out some exercises to do in the office, like push-ups, one-legged squats, stuff like that.  I bet there is a book about quick easy exercises to do in that sort of situation.

Anyway it's great that you are able to get a whole work-out in during the middle of the day instead of waiting til evening. 

Offline Doodlebug

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
I notice that the once a week workouts are really no different than the twice a week workouts. I lke theida of only working out once a week but I want to make sure i'm hitting the main muscle groups. It seems like his workouts of 6 exercises leave stuff out.

Thoughs Doodlebug?
Yes, I find that once a week workouts are good enough, as long as you push hard enough. I think that when you start out, twice a week is good, but a few weeks after staring the slow cadence exercises, I found that it takes me longer to recover.  So I was not making as much progress until I went to once a week, strangely enough.  I do some cardio and walking on other days, so it's not like I'm sitting on my butt all week.  But for the high intensity stuff, once a week is plenty.  :-X

Offline Halsey

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 09:14:14 PM »
Hi,
Thats really a good idea to do some exercise in short time...
Thats really good to read about you how much you care to be fit.....

Offline shawn5

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 01:52:52 AM »
Hi guys Lunch time was not suitable for workout,..
The best time in gym was at 7 to 8 Pm....I can use this time top take my exercise in the gym and after my workout i drink banana shakes,...

Offline Esmond

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:33:13 AM »
Hi SUGARDUDE,
You have a edge that gym is few steps away from your office so hit the gym for 1 hour and 25 minutes will be enough for you to take healthy lunch.
Do join gym and get diet chart from your gym coach.

Offline warne845

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 05:26:40 AM »
if you did workout in lunch time then when are you going to do lunch ?