Author Topic: Interval training  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
Interval training
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »
I use a lot of interval training for my running. Even though I typically race in 5K or 10K races, adding in some sprinting routines has really helped.  What you say makes sense, especially about allowing enough time to rest between workouts, not overtraining, and mixing up intense sprints with slower pace.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:03:56 PM by Runner »

Offline Colin

• Administrator
Re: Interval training
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
After reading the post on James Loehr's "toughness training" I realized that I might be overtraining by running 3-4 times a week, and not allowing adequate rest and recovery. The information from Doug McGuff also reinforces that you need to push hard, but then allow enough rest between workouts. So I took a break of 6 days since my last run, and today I went for my first run this week. I really pushed myself, and it was amazing...I shaved 30 seconds off my best 5-mile time.  That's quite a big improvement for me, and great, because I'm training for a relay that is just 6 weeks away, and I was not making much progress with my time. What's more, I just seemed to have a lot more energy today, especially towards the end of the run. My strides were longer and more energetic.  I think the time off helped me build up some reserves.

I'm thinking of going to 2 runs per week, with some resistance training or cross training thrown in, to mix it up.  I definitely see that overtraining is a big risk that people give lip service to, but don't always take seriously.