Author Topic: Paleo, Chapped Lips and Cheating  (Read 5154 times)

Offline thomas_seay

Paleo, Chapped Lips and Cheating
« on: April 11, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
I am about three weeks or so into the Paleo diet.  I have been rather strict, except that I do eat starch post-workout.  However, in the past few days, I notice that I have chapped lips.  I increased my intake of water, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.  I read over on Seth Robert's site that he had a similar problem and cured it by increasing his Vitamin C level.
That makes sense.  My diet was pretty clean already before this and the only things that I have cut out are starches and fruits.  Given that I have been eating very little of my veggies raw, it might just be Vitamin C that is lacking.  What do you think?  Has anybody here experienced this problem?

This also leads me to think that I might want to add a 24 hour cheat period every week.  That way, I would increase my chances of getting stuff that I need (even if I don't know I need it!). Even though the Paleo diet makes sense, I don't completely trust "reason" to come up with the perfect diet.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Paleo, Chapped Lips and Cheating
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »
thomas,

I'm with you on cheating.  I eat basically low carb/Paleo, but I'm far from strict.  I probably eat off diet every other day, but I limit the amount of carbs to something reasonable, and if I find I'm regaining weight or starting to feel out of sorts, I'm strict for the next few days, or increase my fasting.

I also am a big believer in planned cheats, rather than haphazard ones.  There is something about knowing that you'll have a pastry or ice cream or beer on a certain day and time that puts you in control of this, rather than letting it control you. Its a nice something to look forward to.

It's probably best when starting a Paleo or low carb diet to be fairly strict in the beginning, otherwise its just too easy to undermine the diet. But once you get good results, and know yourself, I think its probably a good idea to loosen up.  As you say, you may not know what you need that you are missing.

Regarding chapped lips, I agree with your Vitamin C idea, although you might want to get your vitamin C from food sources.  Another thing that helps with skin softening and repair is fish oil.  I have no blemishes, rough elbow skin, or tender skin since I've been taking emulsified cod liver oil.  I like the orange flavored cold liver oil emulsion from Twin Labs because it has no fishy or oily taste. The orange flavor goes well in fruit juice or just as a tablespoon in the mouth.  And it is far more potent than most fish oil capsules in DHA and EPA.

Offline thomas_seay

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:24 AM »
Let me ask something of people here.  How much raw food are you eating?  Now, I know that some foods (at least from a vitamin perspective) are better eaten cooked (i.e. carrots or brassage, like brocolli) but since heat tends to destroy Vitamin C, I am thinking I should maybe start eating some percentage of my veggies raw.

Offline shadowfoot

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:15:08 AM »
I don't really understand the hype behind raw. I would be very curious for someone to explain that to me. I mean, I understand the theory about enzymes being preserved, but wouldn't those just be destroyed by the stomach acid. Or do certain kinds make it though to the small intestine still functional? It seems to me that there are enough people who report feeling better with raw, at least initially, before they run out of animal vitamins (see Denis Minger), that I feel there might be something to it beyond a placebo effect.

I say this because cooked food, particularly plant foods, tend to be lot less digestible in terms of nutrient and calorie absorption. Maybe there is a hormetic effect due to the difficulty involved in digesting them?

-shadowfoot

Offline Patrea

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 01:51:13 AM »
I have had excellent results with Now super enzymes - I have no financial interest in the product. I heard of Paleos using them on 'cheat' days and meals - but I use them with all and they are great for digestion and weight loss. All pretty natural content.
Otherwise, I have dropped spuds and grain (except my beloved porridge in the morning) and stick to mainly fish and salads - with lots of chilli and spices

Offline thomas_seay

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
The only reason I mentioned raw is in terms of this current issue that I have had with Paleo and Vitamin C.  Other than that, for better or worse, I don't go out of my way to eat raw.